Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott has now banned sharkfin from its menus (update)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2014, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Marriott announced a total ban on shark fin soup partnering with the Yao Ming Foundation to increase awareness on this issue. The ban includes all menus in all of our hotels. It's effective July 1. Thank you and this forum for helping us understand the issue. After July 1st, I welcome any reports of our hotels not complying with this policy.

Safe travels and thanks for the civility of the discussions. Feel free to email me with any other questions. I will check back here for a few more days. -- jay Hamilton, Marriott
Print Wikipost

Marriott has now banned sharkfin from its menus (update)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by lsugolfer
Of all the problems in the world today, we are concerned about some shark fins in a soup?
It is rather alarming problem in the world today to be quite blunt. Removing apex predator from the environment has a ripple effect.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:36 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
I'd suggest this thread being moved to the Dining Buzz forum or somewhere else since it has now become and argument over SF soup.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
I disagree. Let's not dump this out of sight of Marriott.

This is shark fin soup problem at Marriott properties to be specific. If you want to do something about it, maybe moderator note about not posting if not MR related. However this is MR related issue.

To be honest had I known about shark fin soup I would have not stayed at some properties. I didn't eat at their restaurant.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:45 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
I'd suggest this thread being moved to the Dining Buzz forum or somewhere else since it has now become and argument over SF soup.
I disagree.

This discussion is very appropriate for this forum. This is not a dining issue; this is a corporate responsibility issue.

I'm still pissed off from learning that by patronizing Marriott, I was really just supporting Mitt Romney and the RNC. I look forward to learning more about the ways Marriott is a terrible corporate citizen.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by HangingOver

Shark fin soup should not only be banned in hotels and on flights. It should be banned...period. Its a nightmare.
And how do you know it is not the substitution ? If you had been to Asia, especially southern China like Hong Kong, many times you see they are selling shark fin soup everywhere and really cheap, in reality there are no shark fin in the soup, it is vermicelli noodle !

Originally Posted by Allvest
Shark fin is easily substituted and it has no taste.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:36 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by lsugolfer
Of all the problems in the world today, we are concerned about some shark fins in a soup?
Yes, and rightly so. Many people can be concerned about more than one thing at a time
Old Jun 13, 2013, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
And how do you know it is not the substitution ? If you had been to Asia, especially southern China like Hong Kong, many times you see they are selling shark fin soup everywhere and really cheap, in reality there are no shark fin in the soup, it is vermicelli noodle !
I think if people ordered that in a Marriott Restaurant in Asia and found out that is vermicelli noodles, they will probably be

The texture of shark fin in shark fin soup is pretty unique, but I think it should be possible to replace it with something 'manufactured'.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:51 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by jerry305
I'm still pissed off from learning that by patronizing Marriott, I was really just supporting Mitt Romney and the RNC. I look forward to learning more about the ways Marriott is a terrible corporate citizen.
Oh no please don't start this.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:53 am

The fact is regional/ cultural tastes vary and it is the reality of a hospitality company you cater to a broad clientele. If you don't like or the idea of it, don't order it... the market has a way of working itself out.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Since the premise of the thread is to ask Marriott to no longer serve shark fin soup, my 2 cents is it should stay in the forum. I would support the elimination of shark fin soup at Marriott properties.

Allvest, you might consider starting a thread on Marriott Insiders too.

Cheers.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 7:47 am

How about beef, pork, chicken, turkey etc? They are not obatained in a nature way either.

I do not eat shark fin but it is ridiculous to single it out.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by recadna
How about beef, pork, chicken, turkey etc? They are not obatained in a nature way either.

Disagree, but that's a topic for Omni.

Cheers.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by recadna

You only find it ridiculous because you have no idea what you are talking about.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Shark fin should not be on any menu any where. This thread is trying to stop Marriott restaurants from serving it. It is on topic and should stay here. There can be separate initiatives for other chains.

In Toronto, there had been discussions about banning shark fins in restaurants, and a lot of Chinese got upset because it is kind of a status symbol to serve shark fin soup in wedding or expensive banquets. It's expensive, but they want it. This is where education is needed.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by largeeyes
You only find it ridiculous because you have no idea what you are talking about.
Please enlighten us....why is it ok to murder a cow but not ok to kill a shark?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.