Wiki Posts
Search

TownePlace Suites

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2013, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, Hilton, United, Southwest
TownePlace Suites

I'm new to this Flyertalk thing...I have been living off and on at a TownePlace Suites and am not really getting that many points from my stays, especially because I have the Marriott Premier Card. Can someone explain to me or send me a link where I can see the different categories of points earned from the different Marriott hotels or are they all the same? I am silver now, will be gold with a few more nights and platinum by July.
Old May 29, 2013, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
First, Welcome to Flyertalk!

Unfortunately for you TownePlace Suites only earn 5 points/$ spend vs the normal 10 points/$ spend. Also, no points for incidentals. Plus as Silver you're not getting the extra 30%/50% (Gold/Plat) bonus, which will kick in when you reach those levels.

This link shows all the hotel brands/earnings.

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/earn-points/points.mi

If you have the flexibility of switching to a full earning points property either for room rate (ie, Springhill Suites, Courtyard, for example) or a full service property for room+incidentals you'll earn more.

Also, if you haven't done it yet, definitely register for the Summer MegaBonus promo!

Again, Welcome to Flyertalk!

Cheers.
Old May 29, 2013, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your response!
I have another question...We are staying at the JW in Phuket for our honeymoon in December. I booked the room with points but it was 245,000 points and I only have 145,000 points right now. I should be able to get the 245,000 points in time but what would happen if I didn't? Also, it says I need to order e-certificates?

I will be platinum by that time, will there be an upgrade included even though I booked a one-bedroom oceanfront suite? Arrival gift? Other perks?
Old May 29, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
If accumulating points is your goal - make sure you are signed up for the points version of the Megabonus, not the certs. Also do a Platinum challenge if it helps you get Platinum status quicker, you will accumulate points faster.
Old May 29, 2013, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by jjefferies5
I have another question...We are staying at the JW in Phuket for our honeymoon in December. I booked the room with points but it was 245,000 points and I only have 145,000 points right now. I should be able to get the 245,000 points in time but what would happen if I didn't? Also, it says I need to order e-certificates?

I will be platinum by that time, will there be an upgrade included even though I booked a one-bedroom oceanfront suite? Arrival gift? Other perks?
If you've got the points in your account 1 week before your stay, I think the e-cert automatically gets ordered. If you don't have the points 1 week in advance, you'll either need to buy points (up to 50,000 max) to make up the difference or the ressie could get canceled or you'd have to pay $$ for the suite.

Since you booked a 1-bedroom oceanfront suite, I don't think you'll get an upgrade (ie, not even sure what you're upgrade to).

You'll get free internet due to Plat status. However, if you're on your honeymoon you shouldn't be working on a computer

The Plat arrival gift to date has been 500 points or a food/beverage amenity (some of which are quite lovely). Starting June 22nd that's changing to 500 points or $10 food/beverage credit. However, we don't know if that applies to US/Canada only or will be worldwide. We'll probably have an answer before your stay.

The property does not have an exec lounge, but you'll get full breakfast daily according to the exec lounge sticky in this forum.

BTW - there is a long thread re: Thailand properties so you can read those to learn about more what to expect, or you can do a search (upper right corner of this forum) for JW Phuket to read individual threads.

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
If accumulating points is your goal - make sure you are signed up for the points version of the Megabonus, not the certs. Also do a Platinum challenge if it helps you get Platinum status quicker, you will accumulate points faster.
Agree, make sure you sign up for the points version of the Megabonus & definitely go for the Platinum challenge, as you'll get the bennies of Plat status immediately.

Cheers.
Old May 29, 2013, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
if you haven't already earned the full amount of points one week prior to your stay the system will CXL your reservation...........

since you booked a 1-BD oceanfront suite you will not be entitled to a further plat upgrade (but why anyone would choose the JW HKT over other HKT properties is beyond my comprehension).......

you will get arrival gift (or be entitled to URG claim)..............

other perks: breakfast will be provided in their all-day restaurant; Internet access provided (but I can't say in-room or just in common areas).......

be prepared to be inundated by eastern europeans who take 500% of the pool chairs they actually require but are "willing" to sell them to you and non-stop smokers...........

Old May 29, 2013, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Alright cool I just enrolled in the Platinum Challenge and I already have 9+ booked stays over the next couple months so that will be good. I had already signed up for the certs megabonus is there a way I can change that? I think I will be fine with the points, especially now that I am platinum but I can't see myself using the free nights anyway.
Old May 29, 2013, 4:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
you can call (or e-mail) MRs and ask them to change your certs bonus to one of the several points bonuses but its up to them to yeah/nay..........as a plat they generally will provide you with the option........

I've never tried it, but others have said if denied the change the first time, hang up and try again.........

Alright cool I just enrolled in the Platinum Challenge and I already have 9+ booked stays over the next couple months so that will be good. I had already signed up for the certs megabonus is there a way I can change that? I think I will be fine with the points, especially now that I am platinum but I can't see myself using the free nights anyway.
Old May 22, 2018, 7:39 pm
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Newest information I can find is five years old, so does anyone know if TownePlace suites still earn at the half rate, like Residence Inns? The Marriott.com page does not show TownePlace.

Marriott earning page
Old May 22, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
TownePlace is still 5 points per dollar. Look on the far right of the following page:

https://www.marriott.com/marriott-re...earn/hotels.mi
Old May 23, 2018, 6:05 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
TownePlace is still 5 points per dollar. Look on the far right of the following page:

https://www.marriott.com/marriott-re...earn/hotels.mi
Thanks. I swear the TownePlace logo wasn't there yesterday, just the RI one!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.