Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MSP Airport Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2013, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
MSP Airport Recommendations?

Flying in from Europe next month with an overnight at MSP. Landing around noon then work from my hotel room for the rest of the day and flying out the next morning. I prefer full service Marriott with a concierge lounge but the MSP Aiprort Marriott doesn't look very good from the reviews I've seen. The Residence Inn Edina looks like the nicest Marriott near the airport. Any other recommendations?
Old May 27, 2013, 7:15 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Light rail to Marriott City Center. Worth it.
Old May 27, 2013, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hnewman
Light rail to Marriott City Center. Worth it.
I agree. Or light rail to Renaissance at the Depot. Or to Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection currently, reflagged from Doubletree.

The Residence Inn Edina is quite far from the airport and traffic on I-494 is horrible due to construction. It would be an expensive taxi ride. AFAIK they do not have an airport shuttle.
Old May 27, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I agree. Or light rail to Renaissance at the Depot. Or to Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection currently, reflagged from Doubletree.

The Residence Inn Edina is quite far from the airport and traffic on I-494 is horrible due to construction. It would be an expensive taxi ride. AFAIK they do not have an airport shuttle.
I have not stayed at either so I cannot comment, but great restaurants around all and excellent Jazz Club (The Dakota) if you have time for an early show.
Old May 27, 2013, 5:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

They do have an airport shuttle. Though it doesnt run at the same frequency as the RI Bllomington. If you have a super early flight, you may want to call them to ensure that they will be able to drop you off.
Old May 27, 2013, 6:19 pm

Programs: Marriott plat, DL Diamond
train is $2 to the city.. Very nice.. I agree on downtown hotels.
Old May 28, 2013, 12:58 am

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
weekend ?

Most EL's in this city at Mrt properties are closed on weekends.
Old May 28, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Jiatong
You're correct. Most properties lounges are closed on the weekend, but the Autograph Collection property provides a $40 voucher for the restaurant.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13849211-post1.html

Cheers.
Old May 28, 2013, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
Originally Posted by Jiatong
I'll be arriving on a Tuesday and leaving the next morning. I'l leaning towards the Residence Inn Edina. I've become kind of a hotel snob in my old age and prefer staying at nicer full service Marriotts but will on occasion stay at a newer or recently updated Residence Inn. I'll be arriving around noon from AMS and will be in a hurry to get to my hotel room so I can get to work. I'll probably just take a cab since my goal will be to get to the hotel as soon as possible after landing. Will be working in my room until around 7:00 (Clients on the West Coast) then having dinner and off to sleep (started day in AMS). No time for sightseeing. Flight in the morning leaves around 9:00. According to the web site, the RI Edina is less than 6 miles and offers a free shuttle to MSP. The RI Bloomington is closer to MSP but from tripadvisor reviews, Bloomington looks like a decent property but Edina looks nicer and recently updated. Of course, you can't always rely on Tripadvisor. If the RI Edina is truely updated and beds are decent then this would be my choice. If not, I'll opt for a full service Marriott in the city.

Last edited by Uh Clem; May 28, 2013 at 8:54 am
Old May 28, 2013, 8:32 am
Original Poster

accidently sent twice

Last edited by Uh Clem; May 28, 2013 at 8:34 am Reason: please delete response. Accidently sent twice
Old May 28, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Uh Clem
I'll be arriving on a Tuesday and leaving the next morning. I'l leaning towards the Residence Inn Edina. I've become kind of a hotel snob in my old age and prefer staying at nicer full service Marriotts but will on occasion stay at a newer or recently updated Residence Inn. I'll be arriving around noon from AMS and will be in a hurry to get to my hotel room so I can get to work. I'll probably just take a cab since my goal will be to get to the hotel as soon as possible after landing. Will be working in my room until around 7:00 (Clients on the West Coast) then having dinner and off to sleep (started day in AMS). No time for sightseeing. Flight in the morning leaves around 9:00. According to the web site, the RI Edina is less than 6 miles and offers a free shuttle to MSP. The RI Bloomington is closer to MSP but from tripadvisor reviews, Bloomington looks like a decent property but Edina looks nicer and recently updated. Of course, you can't always rely on Tripadvisor. If the RI Edina is truely updated and beds are decent then this would be my choice. If not, I'll opt for a full service Marriott in the city.
Seriously, if all you're going to do is go straight to the hotel, work, eat, sleep just stay at the Airport Marriott.

I've stayed there many a time for bizness & it was fine. Yes it's a bit dated, but again you're not on a long leisure stay. The staff is very friendly and helpful. You're there during the week so you'd have lounge access. You'll get 10 points credit vs. RI's 5pts. And unless it's changed, they serve the best wild rice soup in the restaurant!

Hotel snob & Residence Inn is an oxymoron

Cheers.
Old May 28, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Agreed 100%. I have stayed at all the 3 - FS Airport Marriott and the 2 RIs and they are all dated. The beds are the best in the FS (Both the RI beds are lumpy and terrible). Unless you need the mini-kitchenette, I'd stay at the FS.

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Seriously, if all you're going to do is go straight to the hotel, work, eat, sleep just stay at the Airport Marriott.

I've stayed there many a time for bizness & it was fine. Yes it's a bit dated, but again you're not on a long leisure stay. The staff is very friendly and helpful. You're there during the week so you'd have lounge access. You'll get 10 points credit vs. RI's 5pts. And unless it's changed, they serve the best wild rice soup in the restaurant!

Cheers.
Old May 28, 2013, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
Agreed 100%. I have stayed at all the 3 - FS Airport Marriott and the 2 RIs and they are all dated. The beds are the best in the FS (Both the RI beds are lumpy and terrible). Unless you need the mini-kitchenette, I'd stay at the FS.
Makes sense. Thanks everyone for the info.
Old May 28, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Cheers.
Agreed. There are some decent restaurants you can walk to at Mall of America also. I enjoy Twin City Grill but others probably have their favorite.

Just stay at the Airport FS and you will be fine.
Old May 28, 2013, 5:36 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
Agreed. There are some decent restaurants you can walk to at Mall of America also. I enjoy Twin City Grill but others probably have their favorite.

Just stay at the Airport FS and you will be fine.
If memory serves they have a shuttle that you can take to the Mall of America as well.

It is a decent airport property and see no reason to stay somewhere else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.