Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Exchange Category 1-4 Free Night Certificate for Points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2013, 8:21 am
Original Poster

I read somewhere that someone was able to exchange this fairly useless certificate for points. Anyone have any success with that?
Old May 11, 2013, 8:32 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LikeVines
I read somewhere that someone was able to exchange this fairly useless certificate for points. Anyone have any success with that?
I've never heard of this option and doubt it's possible, otherwise everyone would take certificates and then exchange them for points, netting them more points than the MegaBonus promos typically offer.

If you have status, you can usually switch to another promo (e.g. from points to certificates or vice versa) but you have to do it before the promotion ends.
Old May 11, 2013, 11:25 am
Suspended

Someone reported what the OP stated above, but I have never heard of being able to do this either and that poster never followed up to my inquiry of same. For now, unless others chime in, I think the best course of action is to believe that this is not possible.
Old May 11, 2013, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by LikeVines

They did it for me once a few years ago....I received 20k points for a Cat 1-4 Cert that was expiring the next day.

The next time I was in this situation, it was for an expiring RC Tier 1-3 Cert. I called and asked if they could give me 50k points as I wasn't able to use it prior to expiration. Rather than give me the points, they just extended it for an extra year.
Old May 12, 2013, 9:23 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
I had success once as well with this about two years ago. I had a res booked for the expiration date of the Cat 1-4 cert. Had to cancel the res the day prior and mentioned that I would not have a chance to reuse it. I received 20k points for this Cat 1-4 cert. I feel I was very lucky to get this.

I attempted to exchange one of these certs for points a few months back but was turned down and offered an extension of the expiration date instead.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:25 pm

Any recent update on this?
Old Feb 14, 2016, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mendy613
Any recent update on this?
Have not heard of success in 4 or 5 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.