Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Summer 2013 Megabonus ("Unexpected Bonus")

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Any idea when and if the dates for a Summer promo? Trying to figure when to pay and when to use free ones.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club
Try this post:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17602497-post1.html

However, it is a couple of years old so can someone comment on the accuracy (if it is still accurate)?

EDIT: Looks like information was added to keep it up-to-date so it is definitely accurate.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 6:47 am
Suspended

The really telling component of the next M/B will not be its dates, but rather, whether Marriott will up the Category of the cert to Category 5 from the heretofore standard of Cats 1 - 4.

We are hoping they do this to deal with the impending devaluation, but there is no assurance that they will do this to keep their members happy.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 7:07 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
The really telling component of the next M/B will not be its dates, but rather, whether Marriott will up the Category of the cert to Category 5 from the heretofore standard of Cats 1 - 4.

We are hoping they do this to deal with the impending devaluation, but there is no assurance that they will do this to keep their members happy.
That's pretty easy. You can get 50k points, the equivalent of two Cat 5 certs, by calling MR and asking to be switched to the 25 nights for 50k points option. That's the bonus I got on the present MegaBonus campaign. Or are you implying that for a measly four stays, Marriott should shower the same bonus on you it hands out to those of us who stay 25 nights or more during the promotional period? MI would certainly be willing to move you to that bonus option.

And, BTW, the summer MegaBonus has historically been 35k, so you may actually be asking for a greater reward than those of us who actually stay frequently receive. Again, MR would likely be happy to move you to that bonus option, but you would have to earn that bonus.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 7:13 am
Suspended

I'd prefer the option of the measly 4 stays.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
I'd prefer the option of the measly 4 stays.
And I would prefer 100k points, enough for a five day stay at a Cat 5.

Sorry to be so harsh, but let's be honest, the Cat 4 certs take less expensive inventory Marriott is less likely to sell and uses it to give something to good customers. Taking more expensive, sellable inventory and giving it away en masse doesn't make as much sense.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 7:29 am

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by CJKatl
That's pretty easy. You can get 50k points, the equivalent of two Cat 5 certs, by calling MR and asking to be switched to the 25 nights for 50k points option. That's the bonus I got on the present MegaBonus campaign. Or are you implying that for a measly four stays, Marriott should shower the same bonus on you it hands out to those of us who stay 25 nights or more during the promotional period? MI would certainly be willing to move you to that bonus option.
2 points:

-I would argue that 50K points are much more valuable than 2 Cat.5 certs, as they offer more flexibility and don't automatically expire;
-Some of us are already receiving Cat. 5 certs
Old Apr 25, 2013, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Twickenham
2 points:

-I would argue that 50K points are much more valuable than 2 Cat.5 certs, as they offer more flexibility and don't automatically expire;
-Some of us are already receiving Cat. 5 certs
Non-US receive Cat 5, granted, and there is a slight advantage to the points, but still, I'd take 2 Cat 5 certs for four measly stays over slogging out 25 nights for virtually the same.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 8:55 am
Suspended

Some US members are also receiving Cat 5 Certs when they asked for a switch to same.

Cat 4 certs are about to become virtually worthless with the impending devaluation.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Non-US receive Cat 5, granted,
I didnt know that. How does that work?
So if I change my address to a Canadian address, I'll start getting offers for Cat1-5 certs instead of the worthless Cat1-4 ones?
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:55 am

Programs: More shiny with hotels than airlines.
Non-US receive Cat 5, granted, and there is a slight advantage to the points, but still, I'd take 2 Cat 5 certs for four measly stays over slogging out 25 nights for virtually the same.
Nothing granted. Megabonus are always targeted and different members will receive different offers.

For Q1 2013, mine (based in France) was : 2 stays = 1 Cat 5 cert, maxium 2 certs, while my partner (same adress) was : 2 stays = 1 Cat 4 cert, maxium 3 certs.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by pititom
Nothing granted. Megabonus are always targeted and different members will receive different offers.

For Q1 2013, mine (based in France) was : 2 stays = 1 Cat 5 cert, maxium 2 certs, while my partner (same adress) was : 2 stays = 1 Cat 4 cert, maxium 3 certs.
Um, I wasn't implying all non-US get that offer. I was granting that there are non-US members who get Cat 5. Another poster pointed out some US members were given that when they called in.

Yes, Megabonus is targeted. Obviously MR doesn't make the 25 night offer to those for whom 25 nights would be unrealistic. After all, the idea isn't to reward us, it's to get us to stay at Marriott hotels more often than we would otherwise stay. Still, it is unlikely Marriott will give Cat 5 as the reward while only offering 35k, the standard summer Megabonus amount over the past years, to those who stay 25 nights. It was be very shortsighted of Marriott to offer lesser customers a better bonus. It would alienate the better customers. Plus, the better customers would ask to switch offers. Those given the 25 night offer obviously usually have more than four measly stays every quarter.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
I don't get a sense that MR puts much thinking into the Megabonus offers from period to period. The offers seem to be repetitive and utterly predictable.

Having said that--and been a frequent critic of the sameness time and again--this promo won a Freddy last night. So I guess the masses have spoken...
Old Apr 26, 2013, 6:23 pm
Suspended

The blinkered masses.....
Old Apr 27, 2013, 7:11 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold,Hyatt Diamond
Just posted (MR Gold):

Marriott Rewards® Unexpected Bonus

Stay 15 paid nights at any participating hotel between May 15 and September 2, 2013
Earn 25,000 bonus points, plus an additional 10,000 points after 20 paid nights (up to 35,000 points)

Last edited by kmwjes; Apr 27, 2013 at 9:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.