Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Breakfast Included in Room Rate, but I'm Platinum and entitled to free breakfast

Breakfast Included in Room Rate, but I'm Platinum and entitled to free breakfast

Old Apr 10, 13, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-LT Gold 1.2MM ,DL, Marriott LT TITANIUM; HH Gold, AMEX PLT

I will be staying at the Vienna Marriott in July for five days. I booked the lowest rate room. The summer special includes breakfast with that rate. Since I am Platinum, I am entitled to breakfast in the Executive Lounge. When I called Marriott and asked if the rate could be lowered to exclude breakfast, I was told that I could not get a lower rate.

I asked to be upgraded and was told that I was on the list for a room on the Concierge floor.

Is there anything I can do to have the price of breakfast deducted from the room rate for my stay? Or is it worth it?

Any advice is appreciated.
Terri
Old Apr 10, 13, 4:37 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
The only thing you can do is to find a cheaper rate yourself. FWIW breakfast in the restaurant is usually better than breakfast in the lounge.
Old Apr 10, 13, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by escapefromphl View Post
The only thing you can do is to find a cheaper rate yourself. FWIW breakfast in the restaurant is usually better than breakfast in the lounge.
The only lower rate is the prepaid, non-refundable rate (9 Euros cheaper). I am not sure I want to do that at this point.
Thanks for the advice.
Old Apr 10, 13, 4:51 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by tbrein View Post
The only lower rate is the prepaid, non-refundable rate (9 Euros cheaper). I am not sure I want to do that at this point.
Thanks for the advice.
Keep your current booking. As you near a no return point on your trip, pay up and get the cheaper rate. Get your B/F in the lounge (open on week ends ?).
Old Apr 10, 13, 11:54 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by escapefromphl View Post
FWIW breakfast in the restaurant is usually better than breakfast in the lounge.
Almost always.
Old Apr 11, 13, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dayone View Post
Almost always.
Well, I guess we'll be eating breakfast in the restaurant since we're paying for it. Thanks for the advice.
Old Apr 15, 13, 10:05 am

Programs: AA EXEC PLT 2 MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXPL, Accor SLV, BW DIA, IHG PLT, UA GLD
If part of your stay is on a weekend check the Monday before the weekend to see if the MEB weekend Marriott rate is available. You may be lucky. If MEB is available for the weekend, try checking also if Thursday and Sunday are available for MEB rate. Often they will be as long as you are staying Saturday and Sunday and book one res for all dates. If you are mixing 2 rate codes and don't want to rebook just call Marriott Reservations and they will adjust your res rates for the new rates or combined rates in one res.
Old Apr 15, 13, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by fmkgb View Post
If part of your stay is on a weekend check the Monday before the weekend to see if the MEB weekend Marriott rate is available. You may be lucky. If MEB is available for the weekend, try checking also if Thursday and Sunday are available for MEB rate. Often they will be as long as you are staying Saturday and Sunday and book one res for all dates. If you are mixing 2 rate codes and don't want to rebook just call Marriott Reservations and they will adjust your res rates for the new rates or combined rates in one res.
Good advice, but I doubt the Vienna Marriott in July will be on a MEB rate as it's pretty popular/booked during the summer.

Like others have mentioned, breakfast in the restaurant is probably going to be better than brekkie in the lounge.

Cheers.
Old Apr 15, 13, 1:23 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), SPG (Gold), MR (Gold)
I'd eat two breakfasts. Seems to be the simplest solution.
Old Apr 15, 13, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Platinum Premier, Starwood Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
I'd eat two breakfasts. Seems to be the simplest solution.

I would keep checking the rates available as they tend to change on a daily basis. If not, then just eat breakfast at the restaurant or both like User_Name suggested.
Old Apr 15, 13, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Many items related to travel may be included more than once. But, you don't get your rate reduced by the extra freeloader item.

Your choice is to eat two breakfasts because you're entitled to gain weight or to enjoy the trip.
Old Apr 15, 13, 3:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
My advice is to venture out and eat your breakfast at a local cafe. I bet Vienna has some great local cafes.

Or are we talking Vienna, GA?
Old Apr 15, 13, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
I never thought about this like that. Sometimes my rate includes breakfast and sometimes it doesn't. If it does and I have time, I eat at the restaurant. If it doesn't or I don't have time, then I grab something from the lounge. That simple.
Old Apr 16, 13, 8:53 am

Programs: UA PP/Marriott Platinum Elite/Hyatt Diamond/Avis Preferred/Hertz Presidential
Originally Posted by Old Hickory View Post
My advice is to venture out and eat your breakfast at a local cafe. I bet Vienna has some great local cafes.

Or are we talking Vienna, GA?
Agreed, flying to Vienna and you care about the breakfast rate. In July be thankful you got a room there and get out of the hotel and never eat ounce there.
Old Apr 16, 13, 9:41 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by iztok View Post
I never thought about this like that. Sometimes my rate includes breakfast and sometimes it doesn't. If it does and I have time, I eat at the restaurant. If it doesn't or I don't have time, then I grab something from the lounge. That simple.
That's pretty much my take on it. I've never tried to get the rate reduced. Most properties the brekkie in the restaurant is better than the exec lounge.

Cheers.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: