Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

hotel says I don't have a confirmation but I do

hotel says I don't have a confirmation but I do

Old Apr 12, 2013, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I think socrates meant Platinums can only apply for 1 PLT Overide per stay day...
actually I was trying to be cute but really need to stop posting when I'm 1/2 a sleep....what I was trying to say was hotels have no limit on the number of times they are able to request an exception BUT they MUST meet the conditions set by Marriott (if a hotel is extremely lucky or has the best sales team on the face of the planet and they can have 1 company rent every room for 1 full year then they would be granted a waiver for 1 year....in reality even requesting for 1 override is extremely rare but this does vary by hotel)...there's a very small team that handles these requests and I know for a fact they look very closely at these requests
Old Apr 12, 2013, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joshua362
I think so too, my question was poorly worded. I was wondering from a Hotel's perspective, how many Corporate Marriott granted and event-/date-specific waiver can be given in a year or how frequently granted.

I could see problems if a gaggle of PLT's decided to descend on a smaller property for some odd reason - (I imagine its a far stretch that most Berkshire Hathaway shareholders are wealthy traveling PLT's). I guess that's why overrides pay rack rate....
I answered the first part of the question my last post but let's go ahead with the BH example here (I have NO specific knowledge of this event and have never worked anywhere close to Omaha so but none the less let's take a shot at it)

BH's annual meeting is an annual event...the entire city, convention bureaus, hotels etc know it and have the dates (or at the very least the typical expected dates) and set their strategies based upon historical information and relying heavily upon the most current year and do take into account any exceptions that might have made this year different or might make future years different.....I don't believe BH makes any arrangements at local hotels for those attending in which case the hotel would not be granted an exception if they asked for one and the onus would be on the hotel to closely monitor their inventory and strategies, adjusting as needed (I won't address the best way to complete this as I'm certain I'd put many of you to sleep)....all hotels regardless of size have resources that should be utilized to be sure the dates of the annual meeting "don't get out of control"...my belief is somewhere/something didn't happen/allowed the dates TO get out of control

Now let's look at a hotel that does contract all of their rooms say to the Superbowl

The NFL years out signs a contract with hotels for 100% of the hotel's inventory meaning if a platinum member uses an override the hotel has no control/no place to that valued member and as a result MI HQ would give the hotel an exception and turn off the Plat Override feature upon request...it is up to the hotel to make the request (MI doesn't do it automatically)...a good hotel will continue to monitor their inventory with the NFL in this case as at times these organizations will release rooms back to the hotel (hotel's really do their due diligence before turning the control of their inventory over to someone else and do put "what if" plans on the shelves to use if need be)
Old Apr 12, 2013, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hhoope01
I don't know that there is a "hard" limit to the number or how frequently they will be granted. From earlier posts, I do believe that the hotel has to show Marriott Corp that all the hotel inventory (rooms) have been contracted by a group or individual. When that happens, the hotel doesn't have any rooms for anyone, even Plats, as the group/individual has contracted for them.

So if a hotel (i.e. possibly a conference hotel) has a lot of "events" that contract for its rooms inventory, then I suspect it may happen a lot.
No - no limit, yes your beliefs are correct

FYI - Marriott Corp changed their name upon spinning Marriott International off to the shareholders to Host Marriott, subsequently they changed their name and today are known as Host Hotels & Resorts....they are a very large owner of hotel assets but they are not an operator (they are a REIT)...the hotel company is Marriott International (I call them MI for short)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.