Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Override

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by ymcarthur2
I understand the business perspective. I just think this is a worthless platinum "enhancement" if you can't use it, since so many hotels have exemptions. Marriott should just remove it as a Platinum "perk". The Autograph hotel in Berlin is also unavailable. I was going to pay for all these hotels, not use points. That's a whole other issue.
I don't know that it's 'so many hotels have exemptions'. Marriott has 4,135 hotels worldwide. I would guess the number that have exemptions is relatively small & usually it's for citywide events, conventions, etc. Having said that, it can be frustrating when your trip to a particular area coincides with those times.

Like VickiSoCal & hhoope01 I've been able to use the Platinum override, so I don't consider it worthless.

It's unfortunate for you & Marriott that you can't stay in their properties in Nashville & Berlin, but I'm sure the other chains will be happy to take your reservation assuming they're not fully booked as well.

Cheers.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I understand the business perspective. I just think this is a worthless platinum "enhancement" if you can't use it, since so many hotels have exemptions. Marriott should just remove it as a Platinum "perk". The Autograph hotel in Berlin is also unavailable. I was going to pay for all these hotels, not use points. That's a whole other issue.
Yes, it is "worthless" when it can't be used, but it is great when you can. It's unfortunate the only way to find out where you can/can't use it is when you try to use it. By that time you are ready to go look, you've probably decided where you want to go. I'm sure it's a lot easier to find cheap flights to Buffalo, but if you want to go to NYC, that don't do you much good. So all cheap seats should be eliminated? I recall a saying about a baby and bath water...
Old Sep 26, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Inn at Opryland (Gaylord) Nashville is not available for April 11, 2015 (paid). I called the platinum desk and the reservations in house. It has been blocked for an event (convention?), and I am not allowed to use the Platinum override.

The same has happened for the Berlin Marriot and Berlin Courtyard in August 2015.

Am I just out of luck? It seems that Marriott is giving a lot of exceptions to the Platinum override!
Could be Nashville Marathon which is always in April.

It takes a lot for the exemption to be offered. Sure things like the Super Bowl and Olympics are no brainers. Random things happen too. For example every year in May in Seabring, FL there is a baseball event that draws probably 200 major league scouts. Thanks to athletic VIP most scouts are Marriott loyalists and Plat or Plat Prem. There is only 1 Marriott property with about 100 rooms. The GM is allowed to block override after allowing so many to go through because she can show that like 90% of her bookings are Plats and she doesn't want to walk a Plat. Every year scouts must get in early or else stay at another chain or commute over an hour from the nearest property in Lakeland.

That's just a little backstory on why you might run into this.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 7:44 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
The same has happened for the Berlin Marriott and Berlin Courtyard in August 2015.
Courtyard is available every day for MR redemption in August 2015. My guess is they were delayed in loading award inventory.

Marriott is only available for reward redemption through July 5, 2015. I think this also has nothing to do with Platinum override, but instead loading inventory in a timely manner. My guess is if you wait a month or so, the entire month will be available for award redemption; either that or press the issue with the hotel or reservations.

I find this happens with hotels that are still in the midst of negotiating event contracts; now that's not saying it's right, just the way it is. Also sometimes it is just an oversight, or the way this particular hotel does it.

JW Marriott Orlando, for years would free up inventory for awards until about 10 months out. Vail Marriott Resort would not release ANY standard inventory for sale or awards until the April time frame. There are a plethora of discussions about this somewhere in these threads if you care to know more details about those particular incidents you can search for them.

In all likelihood there is no conspiracy with these Berlin properties, also it is unlikely there is a corporate override in these cases, just a case of inventory management related delays.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
I think this also has nothing to do with Platinum override, but instead loading inventory in a timely manner. My guess is if you wait a month or so, the entire month will be available for award redemption; either that or press the issue with the hotel or reservations.

I find this happens with hotels that are still in the midst of negotiating event contracts; now that's not saying it's right, just the way it is. Also sometimes it is just an oversight, or the way this particular hotel does it.
Good points, although the FTer interested in Nashville & Berlin was looking at a paid stay vs. award redemption & was (for whatever reason) told that Plat override was unable to be honored. If CY is available for award in August, then obviously it should be available for paid stay.

Cheers.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Good points, although the FTer interested in Nashville & Berlin was looking at a paid stay vs. award redemption & was (for whatever reason) told that Plat override was unable to be honored.
Quick and lazy answer from Plat CSR I would guess. At Berlin Marriott for July 6 onward (about 10 weeks of inventory) there is no award availability and yes there is paid inventory, obviously an inventory management issues for whatever reason; overlooked, mistake, intended for event contract finalization, or whatever. Again, not saying it's right to withhold inventory, just that they are for whatever reason and ALL indications are that it is NOT due to Plat override (other than the Plat CSR saying it was Plat override). Very similar to what I have encountered various times previously, and as you know I generally book 50 weeks out so have quite a few data points. Perhaps a quick call to the hotel would clear it up, or just patiently wait for the inventory to show up in the coming weeks.

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
If CY is available for award in August, then obviously it should be available for paid stay.
Yes, it is available for both paid and award for all days in August when I checked earlier today.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Quick and lazy answer from Plat CSR I would guess. At Berlin Marriott for July 6 onward (about 10 weeks of inventory) there is no award availability and yes there is paid inventory, obviously an inventory management issues for whatever reason; overlooked, mistake, intended for event contract finalization, or whatever.

Yes, it is available for both paid and award for all days in August when I checked earlier today.
Agree that the Plat agent probably gave a canned response & it's an inventory management issue. Hopefully the FTer interested in Berlin will check this thread again.

Cheers.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Marriott should just remove it as a Platinum "perk". The Autograph hotel in Berlin is also unavailable. I was going to pay for all these hotels, not use points. That's a whole other issue.
I've looked at both the Marriott & the Courtyard Berlin City Centre

1 room

Shows availability every night in August 15 for both hotels.

From this I infer that the Plat Guarantee IS working - ie will work for one room & one room only.

(Suspect that the Steinplatz has yet to load rooms > July 15...)
Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:24 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Tried to book a room for Feb 6-9, 2015. Was unable to use points or a Platinum override for the JW MARRIOTT in Cancun. Nearly four months out and couldn't get a room. The guarantee isn't so guaranteed.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 6:22 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
I would suspect someone book the whole hotel.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
Tried to book a room for Feb 6-9, 2015. Was unable to use points or a Platinum override for the JW MARRIOTT in Cancun. Nearly four months out and couldn't get a room. The guarantee isn't so guaranteed.
Something's up. It only offered the Courtyard. The Marriott Casa Magna is also not available on a Plat override. The Ritz is also sold out-but not eligible for the override.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
I did a quick test on Marriott.com.

Boston Marriott Cambridge 11/6-11/7

Without logging in as a plat: No availability

Logged in as a plat: Regular rate ($569)

There were no comments about a special rate or platinum override. Logging in as a platinum opened inventory. The rate had free cancellation until 6pm on day of arrival.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:31 am

I did look again for the Berlin Marriott, and it is available. The inventory must have loaded late. I'm all booked at a low rate, but it was also available on points. I wouldn't have looked had I not reread this thread. Thanks.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:55 am

I did look again for the Berlin Marriott, and it is available. The inventory must have loaded late. I'm all booked at a low rate, but it was also available on points. I wouldn't have looked had I not reread this thread. Thanks.
You're welcome. Glad to hear it worked out. Enjoy Berlin next year.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Courtyard Waikiki, 1/15-1/16, no availaibity, plat override rate of 599. Yikes. No thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.