Platinum Override

Old Sep 13, 2012, 1:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What happens if the OP tries to book four or more days starting with the day he/she really wants to arrive?
Old Sep 13, 2012, 1:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What happens if the OP tries to book four or more days starting with the day he/she really wants to arrive?
That doesn't work. It is weird.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 1:35 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
You don't need to meet minimum stay requirements to invoke Plat override per info from Socrates posted in a previous thread:

Originally Posted by socrates
yes (as they should to effectively manage their inventory) but the platinum availability overrides the minimum stay requirements
Old Sep 13, 2012, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
I'm curious - is this an extended stay hotel? (please don't read anything into my question - the system does work differently for different brands, I have a thought on what's going on but would like additional info before commenting further)
Old Sep 13, 2012, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MNAudiS4
Just keeping calling until someone will override it?

If the Plat line called the GM and the GM said sorry no more. what is my next step?
only the hotel can "override" something "manually"....the system will automatically override for plats (unless an exception has been granted) - this isn't a manual override
Old Sep 13, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
only the hotel can "override" something "manually"....the system will automatically override for plats (unless an exception has been granted) - this isn't a manual override
so an exception has been granted if the system does not see it.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 2:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
I'm curious - is this an extended stay hotel?
Yes, RI.
Playing around on M.com.
If I go two days ahead I can book.
If I go for my check in date and book for a week, I can book.

But call to PP desk and I am told hotel is sold out and no override.

Interesting thing is that the Fairfield next to it that also gave same story before suddenly showed up today for same dates and I could book as a reward stay???

Cheap enough I book as regular room. But now my question is -
Does my profile of 2 beds override the room reservation?
Can I call MR desk and use Plat override to get 2 beds vs one?
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MNAudiS4
so an exception has been granted if the system does not see it.
Yes - and I can confirm the hotel in question has been granted a waiver
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rthib
But now my question is -
Does my profile of 2 beds override the room reservation?
Can I call MR desk and use Plat override to get 2 beds vs one?
Platinum Override would (should) work for standard room types
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:24 pm

So it is possible that the Platinum 48 guaranteed availablity doesn't work?

I spoke to a rep this morning on the platinum line who at first didn't see the overide for a Sat. night stay at a Courtyard because I wasn't 48 hours out (and it is Monday). I said that didn't make sense since I was OVER the 48 hours but she kept insisting that I had to make the reservation WITHIN 48 hours.

I told her to speak to her supervisor to try to override it but she put me on hold, came back and said the hotel was full and and override won't work.

So it is true, they can just say no?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Marykatesmom
So it is true, they can just say no?
No, they can't. As stated numerous times in previous posts:
1. They have to get the exception to Platinum 48 hour guarantee override approved by Marriott Corporate.

2. They can get an exception due to the hotel entire room inventory being contracted out (think conference) and/or special events (think Super Bowl, Mardi Gras, World Series, Indy 500, Daytona 500, etc.)
Without more information like hotel name and dates, that is about all the information we can provide.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The problem is that 99% of the time, when PO is working, it just works. A plat logs in, books the room, and goes on their merry way, never knowing they got a perk. Then they find a blocked date, call to get the override and it is denied and they post "The ONE time I REALLY needed an override and it wasn't available!!!"

If you have to call- it is because PO is blocked for that hotel/date and chances are it will be denied.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
The problem is that 99% of the time, when PO is working, it just works. A plat logs in, books the room, and goes on their merry way, never knowing they got a perk.
While I agree with the way the website works in this scenario (a Plat can just book online in most cases where a property reports sold out otherwise), it does have a text in red that indicates something -- let me just try it..

This rate offered only to Elite members like you.

I guess it could be more descriptive to showcase the benefit, but I am glad I don't have to do this by phone and that the benefit is available. By the way, you can only hold one night for a situation like this unless the reservation changes in some fashion. Also, watch the cancellation policies, they are not same day typically, but day before (because of the capacity situation) even when it really is 'Regular Rate'.

Rasheed
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hertz Gold
I've had problems with this three times in the past three months. In each case, I called reservations and was told the hotel was 100% booked. Then, the day of the "event" I called and they magically had a room. So they couldn't have been 100% occupancy at the time I wanted a reservation. So I called and quizzed a supervisor and found out that hotels can now self-enter an event that excludes the Platinum guaranteed reservation. There is no one supervising this, so the hotel can do it at will. Without any occupancy verification. In all three cases I was checking on, it looks like the attempt was to book at the highest rate possible the most rooms possible and use the Marriott system against itself. I'm really upset about this because it defeats the purpose of the Platinum guarantee. Totally.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This would seem to benefit the hotel only if they have never accepted reservations on that date at a lower rate. The idea behind the guaranteed room (or a guaranteed seat on a full plane) is that it can pay the hotel--monetarily and in terms of goodwill from the high tier elite--to find someone without status who has a reservation at a low price. The other person is denied boarding or walked, with minor compensation, so that the space can be given to the elite who pays full price. For a hotel, selling a room at the guarantee (rack) rate is better than not doing so unless all of the hotel's other guests are paying an even higher rate (approximately, need to adjust for the cost of walking the unlucky person).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.