Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

2013 Marriott Rewards Hotel Category Changes List

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Marriott Rewards Hotel Category Changes List

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2013, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sard
Logged into my account last week and noticed I still didn't have the latest promo. emailed Marriott and asked for the stay 2 get 1 cat 5 cert. promo. (I knew I couldnt make the points stay due to budget constraints now)

They said I was already enrolled in the points promo, but as a courtesy, they would manually track my account and give me the cat 1-5 awards afterward.

I booked 4 stays next week (enough to get me the 2 certs).

But with the whole de-valuation I think I will change to Hilton or Hyatt.
Yes, but you must live outside the USA, because the Cat 5 promotion is not even open to any of us who live here -- we are stuck with either a points challenge or the Cat 1-4 worthless scrip.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Or Spain, which is laboring under a 25% unemployment rate and a severe recession. Fully 6 or so properties are going down there. But the small number of others are scattered amongst the wind.
Agree and as I mentioned with the AC Madrid Atocha.....some are even moving up even though the rates are very low.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 5:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
It's a race to the bottom, and Marriott just took the lead from Hilton.

Truly turning into a useless program as far as I'm concerned.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Yes, but you must live outside the USA, because the Cat 5 promotion is not even open to any of us who live here -- we are stuck with either a points challenge or the Cat 1-4 worthless scrip.
Nope.
I live in NYC.

My attempt at "Inception" was the fact that I asked for the Cat 1-5 promo, as if that was the normal promo (as opposed to the cat 1-4).
I said "I don't have any promos listed, but my buddy has his cat 1-5 promo listed, since I don't have any promo listed, can you just sign me up for that then."
I assume the employee just went with it, and said "Ok, you got the cat 1-5"

My plan was to save the email (especially since I asked him to write out the details so I know what to do) and use it in case Marriott said "its only cat 1-4"

But with the whole devaluation I am probably going to skip Marriott.
I hate certificates due to the categories, plus the expiration.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 5:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Gold, Airtran A+
Originally Posted by rajuabju
It's a race to the bottom, and Marriott just took the lead from Hilton.

Truly turning into a useless program as far as I'm concerned.
I'm done with MR. AFter I don't know how many years I am moving to Hilton., My brother has told me for years I was a fool to support Marriott over Hilton I am thinking he is now totally correct. I will use my certificates I have but after this I will cancel my MR account and cancel my credit card.

BYE MARRIOTT!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 5:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
GREAT..................more available upgrades and room in the lounge for those of us not leaving............

Originally Posted by lisacor
I'm done with MR. AFter I don't know how many years I am moving to Hilton., My brother has told me for years I was a fool to support Marriott over Hilton I am thinking he is now totally correct. I will use my certificates I have but after this I will cancel my MR account and cancel my credit card.

BYE MARRIOTT!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 5:30 pm

Programs: Avis First, Hertz Gold, Marriott Platinum, US Airways Platinum, AA Platinum, UA Silver, Hilton Diamo
The points devaluation sucks, but I'm still staying with Marriott. For the places I travel for work, it's still the best option in those locations.

I think the Chase Marriott certificate should be changed to 1-6. As it stands, it's not even worth the fee I'm charged for the card - I used to come close to breaking even.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 5:38 pm

Programs: SPG plat,Hyatt plat, HH Gold, AA Gold, WN A list, IHG Plat, Delta pittance
This puts them at last place on the list when I travel. I wish I had not renewed the CC but I am canceling it for sure after I use my cat 5 cert.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL Plat MM, Marriott Plat, UA PE
Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge
Cat 1-4 Certs earned in the Spring MegaBonus or via the Credit Card can still be redeemed at the current levels through April of 2014 as long as you book the reservation by May 15th.
Unless you intend to increase the level for which they can be used this is a pretty lame answer. Same with the Visa
Old Feb 12, 2013, 5:50 pm
Suspended

why?????
is there another brand that is allowing you to book lower Catagories 15 months out????????

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas2012
Unless you intend to increase the level for which they can be used this is a pretty lame answer. Same with the Visa
Old Feb 12, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Hyatt has given up to 16 months in previous category changes. I think it is a matter of time before Hyatt and Hilton have another big devaluation. I have lifetime platinum with Marriott so I might explore Hilton next year after earning the points needed for future award redemptions at Marriott this year.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 5:59 pm
Suspended

didn't Hyatt already announce their catagory changes about a month ago impacting a handfull of props ?????
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...-7-2013-a.html

Originally Posted by VA1379
Hyatt has given up to 16 months in previous category changes. I think it is a matter of time before Hyatt and Hilton have another big devaluation. I have lifetime platinum with Marriott so I might explore Hilton next year after earning the points needed for future award redemptions at Marriott this year.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 6:02 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Not only is Marriott cutting the benefits, they are significantly raising the corporate rates on many hotels. Most of the ones I have stayed at are now too expensive.

I've stayed 250 nights at Marriott properties over the last three years but am unlikely to even hit gold this year. I'm also not renewing the credit card.

I've been a Platinum for three years and don't see any benefits over gold. Since Hilton (as a Diamond) is just as bad I am going to change my approach and just stay in the nicest hotel location,regardless of brand. Other then free breakfast, which I could not care less about, I have not seen any other benefit.

These companies are so stupid.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 6:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, SPG Gold
Thumbs down Marriott does not care about my business

Obviously Marriott does not care about my business though I am platinum. This devaluation shows it as they did not counter with a way to earn more nights or more points. The Cat 1 to 4 certificates are just not going to be as meaningful now so I am going to switch my staying habits and go to another brand but who? Unfortunately other chains have also done a devaluation (ie: Holiday inn, Hyatt, Hilton)

The problem with this is Way more good locations went up and you can count out anything in or near a resort area unless you just have tons of marriott points. Since the ratio of points I earn vs. what I need did not go up, this is just a way Marriott is telling me that they do not value my business.

Sure Marriott has some good locations but so does every company. If marriott is truly interested in keeping some regular business travelers business, they had better role out something that allows one to earn more points or get higher level tiers of Free Nights. Otherwise I am done with Marriott as a Platinum member.

Last edited by SimpleManToo; Feb 12, 2013 at 6:14 pm Reason: spelling
Old Feb 12, 2013, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by dw
HILTON
- Based on hotel earn rates alone (10 base + 5 double dip + 25% elite bonus), it would require $2,857 of spending with Hilton for a Cat 7 night

MARRIOTT
- Based on hotel earn rates alone (10 base + 25% elite bonus), it would require $3,600 of spending with Marriott for a Cat 9 night

Of course, Hilton has far more properties in the top tier, so perhaps a better comparison would be Hilton Cat 7 vs Marriott Cat 8.

However, this analysis may be on point if you save your points for redemption at the top (in terms of $$, not quality) properties (i.e. New York, London, Paris)
Exactly what I wanted to see. And no multiplier bonus for me as I have to use a corp card for all of my business stays.

So putting aside location and award inventory it sure looks like HHonors is a clear winner for redemption as I prefer to use my points for high end cities and resorts where I have no intention of ever paying the cash rate.

Originally Posted by lkar
So, using a very broad brush and some pencils and scratch pads, I come up with a devaluation of about 7.8 percent.

If this is it for a while, one can live with it. But if this is going to be an annual or semi-annual occurrence, it's time to say goodbye. I don't collect points for a one-night redemption. I collect them over months or years, to save up for a big redemption. That's the thing that makes me check into the crappy courtyard when I'm doing a one-night business trip instead of the more convenient Hyatt Place or Hilton. It's 1800 points closer to where I'm trying to get. Yearly devaluations make this kind of approach silly -- makes me feel like a fool.

But even if one accepts that yearly large devaluations are part of the business, the biggest problem here is the massive change to marriott's only real promo -- the megabonus. I'm not interested any more. Category 1-4s are pretty much irrelevant to me now. Don't need 'em.

75 nights to plat, large devaluations, can't get breakfast 7 days a week even if I can make plat, and a promo that doesn't reward me. Hmmm. You're kind of making this one easy, Marriott.
+1 I prefer to redeem for 4+1N awards at high end properties. I will have to consider other options if the bar keeps getting raised every year.

Originally Posted by nova08
Has SPG announced their category changes (to compare)? Beginning to realize why I'm usually the only one on my project teams that is a Marriott person as opposed to SPG.
SPG already announced a massive devaluation for those of us who use cash+points awards. The category shifts will simply be piling on.

Originally Posted by rajsngh
For those of us that redeem points for stays overseas, Marriott is still the best hotel chain. If you look at Sydney, Australia, at least you have the CY in North Ryde. With Hilton, all you have is the high end property in downtown Sydney.
Originally Posted by christianj
This might hold true for Sydney but you really cannot generalize that for "overseas" and other markets. There are overseas markets in which MR has a very limited number of hotels to chose from.
Agreed. Hilton has very good properties in Scandanavia and other parts of Europe. Not sure about Asia.

Hilton is also easier to attain status for those of us who can't stay 75 nights in one chain. $40k spend = HH Diamond, I think HH Gold is even easier. SPG is the hardest IMO, no real shortcuts.

When it comes down to it, Marriott's only remaining advantage is location, location, location, including some nice resorts. But SPG and Hyatt also have nice resorts and city locations, and guaranteed suite upgrade certs for elites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.