Breaking up with Marriott

Old Dec 26, 12, 5:27 pm
EEH

Programs: MR Plat, SPG, HH, AS, AA
I believe if you get a suite upgrade is very dependent on how full the hotel is and how many Plats or golds are on property. I have received a suite upgrade at the Portland Or, City Center twice in the month of Dec and a large corner room at the Seattle Water Front Marriott, stays were weekday in Dec (this month).

There are only so many of these sleeping rooms to go around and if they have not been purchased and if the hotel is light on guest(s) it has been my experience that I get a very nice upgrade. I never count on a suite but I do get them and I appreciate the nod to my status when I do.

Last edited by EEH; Dec 26, 12 at 5:33 pm
Old Dec 26, 12, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal View Post
There's absolutely no incentive for individual hotels to give a plat a suite upgrade if you arent' a repeat customer at their hotel. And they don't know that you don't pester every single hotel you stay at for one. We are like you, we don't pester, and it seems like when we could really use one, we don't get it.
That kind of attitude does not engender loyalty and is contrary to my experience. I occasionally receive a 1BR or suite upgrade on 1 night business stays, but never on multi-night stays on repeat visits. If I were to guess it would be that a hotel that is near capacity is more likely to upgrade me for one night rather than forego the revenue on multiple nights. Of course that is exactly the opposite of what the customer wants.

Originally Posted by hhoope01 View Post
I'll try to get Hilton Diamond this year to go with my Marriott Plat and PC Plat. And then at the end of 2013, I'll see if Hilton really is worse than Marriott or not.
I think you will find Hilton to be comparable to Marriott. Few if any suite upgrades, decent breakfast in the lounge (where avail and not always weekends) and perhaps a little better service when you have an issue.

Originally Posted by EEH View Post
I believe if you get a suite upgrade is very dependent on how full the hotel is and how many Plats or golds are on property.
For SPG it appears this is true (per FT reports) but I do not find it true for Marriott which appears loathe to give out suites unless you checkin late and they have an oversold situation. YMMV.
Old Dec 26, 12, 10:27 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by EEH View Post
I believe if you get a suite upgrade is very dependent on how full the hotel is and how many Plats or golds are on property. I have received a suite upgrade at the Portland Or, City Center twice in the month of Dec and a large corner room at the Seattle Water Front Marriott, stays were weekday in Dec (this month).

There are only so many of these sleeping rooms to go around and if they have not been purchased and if the hotel is light on guest(s) it has been my experience that I get a very nice upgrade. I never count on a suite but I do get them and I appreciate the nod to my status when I do.
Actually, it can go either way. If they are experiencing light occupancy, they will be more likely to have suites to spare, so suite upgrades for elites may be easier to come by for elites. And if they are experiencing heavy occupancy, but no one is paying for better rooms, they may run short of regular rooms, but have suites to spare, so that may mean suite upgrades for elites are easier to get.

Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
That kind of attitude does not engender loyalty and is contrary to my experience. I occasionally receive a 1BR or suite upgrade on 1 night business stays, but never on multi-night stays on repeat visits. If I were to guess it would be that a hotel that is near capacity is more likely to upgrade me for one night rather than forego the revenue on multiple nights. Of course that is exactly the opposite of what the customer wants.
I've received suites for one night stays, and also for longer stays, it just depends on the circumstances when I check in. I have also had split stays in suites, for example on a seven night stay in Renaissance Las Vegas where the front desk said there are no suites available for the first three nights, but the last four nights are available for a suite, and would I like to move. Of course I said yes.

As far as repeat visits go, I have found that suites are more likely for repeat visits, especially at hotels where I have been often. For example I have stayed at the Washington DC Marriott Wardman Park many, many times, and I have probably been put in suites there on 85% of my stays, from two days to nine days, and they always greet me there as a returning guest.

A few visits ago at the Wardman Park, the FD Mgr. checked me in, and mentioned that I was going to pass the 75 night mark for that year on that stay, and not only was I getting a suite, but that the hotel wanted to express it's appreciation for me spending my 75th night at Wardman, and gave me two restaurant vouchers for $40 each plus free valet parking for my stay. Some hotels just go above and beyond for Plats. I sent them a thank you note after my stay.
Old Feb 12, 13, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Boycott Marriott! Who is in!?

As a long time Marriott big spender (200K per year in meetings) I have decided to switch to SPG and Hilton. I think Marriott's program is one of the worst programs and nothing is getting better.

- Point values now diminished. Hotels cost almost what Hilton's do but points are much harder to earn
-Poor treatments of Platinum Members
*lack of upgrades
*Courtyard - yuck... bad hotels with no benefits
*No free breakfast on weekends. (even for Platinum..awful)
*MAJOR category changes destroying the purpose of the mega bonus, travel packages and points in general. Worse than any program in history.
*Platinum phone line ... automated garbage
*Lots of nice hotels, but too many dilapidated hotels going up in category.
*Nothing special about the program and nothing changes.
Old Feb 12, 13, 6:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
the list of fellow whiners is in another thread............
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...l#post20235472

Originally Posted by aero0729 View Post
As a long time Marriott big spender (200K per year in meetings) I have decided to switch to SPG and Hilton. I think Marriott's program is one of the worst programs and nothing is getting better.

- Point values now diminished. Hotels cost almost what Hilton's do but points are much harder to earn
-Poor treatments of Platinum Members
*lack of upgrades
*Courtyard - yuck... bad hotels with no benefits
*No free breakfast on weekends. (even for Platinum..awful)
*MAJOR category changes destroying the purpose of the mega bonus, travel packages and points in general. Worse than any program in history.
*Platinum phone line ... automated garbage
*Lots of nice hotels, but too many dilapidated hotels going up in category.
Old Feb 12, 13, 6:44 pm

I'd agree regarding Marriott props in the US. But out here in Asia, I am happy with them.
Old Feb 12, 13, 6:46 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Then why do you stay at Marriotts?
Old Feb 12, 13, 6:47 pm

Programs: Promus Preferred, ITT Sheraton Club
Im in.
Old Feb 12, 13, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by aaupgrade View Post
Then why do you stay at Marriotts?
I don't! I'm leaving! If mass people do not leave..then companies will never make POSITIVE changes to loyalty programs!
Old Feb 12, 13, 6:53 pm
Suspended

THXs:
less competition for upgrades......
less redemptions thereby not causing further Cat increases.......
more room in respective Exec Lounges........

I don't! I'm leaving! If mass people do not leave..then companies will never make POSITIVE changes to loyalty programs!
Old Feb 12, 13, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by BKKLEE View Post
THXs:
less competition for upgrades......
less redemptions thereby not causing further Cat increases.......
more room in respective Exec Lounges........
Nope.. you see I will ONLY be redeeming! I will not spend another $ but I will blow my points (quicker thanks tot he new chart!)
Old Feb 12, 13, 7:26 pm

Agreed. Availability is going to dry up real quickly with people empty their banks by May as well. I know I have already booked 3 Trips on Points since the change was announced and cancelled 15 Nights at a FS property in Florida. Going to Try Starwood since I frequent resorts and all the changes.
Old Feb 12, 13, 9:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
deleted
Old Feb 12, 13, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BKKLEE View Post
the list of fellow whiners is in another thread............
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...l#post20235472
I like this thread. A LOT.

This other thread referenced is the real whiner thread.

THIS one is for those ready to put their money where there mouth is, and actually do something.

So yes--I am in as well.

So here is what I have done:

1. Just called to cancel an upcoming 32 night residential stay that was timed to coincide with the Megabonus (which should now be renamed the Minibonus since that is what it is worth). I'm rather heading over to Hyatt Place. Will get a Hyatt Diamond match for my (lifetime) Platinum status--and I'm off to a whole new world of being appreciated for my $$$$ spend (plus free breakfasts at every property--including weekends, resorts, and any other exclusions MR randomly comes up with).

2. Canceled my Marriott Rewards Visa card since the level 5 reward night each year is now virtually useless. If I want crappy accommodations--I can always sleep in my yard. No need to pay a hefty annual fee for a useless annual "reward".
Old Feb 12, 13, 11:07 pm
Suspended

since the increased changes affected roughly 1000 props out of some 3500 props those unaffected by the catagory increases will not have all the others rushing to utilyze their points to lock-up lower Cats leaving ,ore then a sufficient bank of props to choose from.......

Originally Posted by jr1202sr View Post
Agreed. Availability is going to dry up real quickly with people empty their banks by May as well.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: