Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Dubai, UAE

Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Dubai, UAE

Old Nov 13, 2008, 5:11 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by johnaalex
Cabs are are ready waiting and the front door.
Have you been there recently? I've stayed 3 times in the last year (last stay in July), and the normal wait for a taxi was around 10 minutes. There was never a 'rank' of taxis waiting.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Nov 13, 2008, 7:42 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Have you been there recently? I've stayed 3 times in the last year (last stay in July), and the normal wait for a taxi was around 10 minutes. There was never a 'rank' of taxis waiting.

Cheers,
Rick
Oh, when I was there for Christmas 2006 there was always cars available.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 1:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by johnaalex
Oh, when I was there for Christmas 2006 there was always cars available.
Cars and taxis are different. The hotel concierge & doormen frequently try to put you into a non-metered car that can be pretty expensive. I'm sure there is some kind of kickback.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Marriott Platinum; Delta Flying Colonel
I was there in 2006 and loved the hotel. I agree with comments about the great concierge lounge. And as most people report, the hotel is far from Dubai's main attractions. However, I found taxis plentiful and inexpensive. Traffic could be as bad as Los Angeles at times, but you pay for the taxi by distance, not time. Try some wadi bashing while you are over there - great fun.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: BMI, VS, Marriott, SPG, HH*S, GoldPoints+
Dubai taxis

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
Cars and taxis are different. The hotel concierge & doormen frequently try to put you into a non-metered car that can be pretty expensive. I'm sure there is some kind of kickback.
I agree - if you trust the doorman to wave a cab down you are sure to be 'treated' to special treatment. Further to a particularly unpleasant instance of such fleecing in Dubai 12 years ago, I now never trust hotel doormen, worldwide.

I'm heading for 10 days r&r this month - can anyone oblige with the number of a reliable taxi firm?

Last edited by UK Flyer 1; Dec 6, 2008 at 2:15 pm Reason: spelling
Old Dec 6, 2008, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: BMI, VS, Marriott, SPG, HH*S, GoldPoints+
wadi bashing

Originally Posted by pspnorm
I was there in 2006 and loved the hotel. I agree with comments about the great concierge lounge. And as most people report, the hotel is far from Dubai's main attractions. However, I found taxis plentiful and inexpensive. Traffic could be as bad as Los Angeles at times, but you pay for the taxi by distance, not time. Try some wadi bashing while you are over there - great fun.
Can you recommend a firm for wadi bashing ?
Old Dec 9, 2008, 8:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
I have stayed at both the Renaissance and the JW Marriott within the last few weeks and have to say...I liked the Renaissance better. The JW Marriott is nice, and has some amazing amenities, but we just seemed to like the layout of the Ren better. The JW is definitely geared for business travelers, and not vacationers like us though.

A few comparisons:

JW Marriott -
  • Concierge check in and Lounge are on 3rd (of 6) floor
  • Next to lounge is business center with three computers and printer available for complimentary use
  • Lounge has free wifi
  • Paid wifi in other parts of the hotel is expensive - about 50 Dhs/hour ($15 USD)
  • Lounge will give you a coupon to go eat breakfast in the Marketplace downstairs - great b-fast buffet down there
  • B-fast in the lounge is probably identical though, and chef there will make omletes/eggs upon request
  • Pool area is nice, and is well staffed
  • Rooms are huge, and steam showers are big enough for the Brady bunch
  • No views really, I think most of the rooms face inwards to the courtyard in the middle of the building

Renaissance
  • Concierge check in and Lounge are on 6th floor
  • Lounge has one computer for complimentary use, and free wifi - both need an access code to be used, so you need to speak to the attendant in the lounge
  • The lounge staff at the Ren will remember your name after hearing it once, no matter how many nights you stay
  • Breakfast, as others have posted, is good, but somewhat basic
  • Rooms are updated and modern, but bathrooms are on the smaller side
  • Our room was on the 6th floor, overlooking the pool as well as the skyline and the Burj in the distance
  • Pool area is part of health club on 4th floor with great staff and the occasional waiter to take food/drink orders
  • The pool area is nice and uncrowded

Both hotels are in an area where you will probably want to take a cab anywhere you need to go. You will see that both hotels are very close to the flight path at the airport, but I guarantee you will not hear a thing once inside the airport. Taxis are readily available at both hotels, and expect a ride of about 15 Dhs to the airport, 10-20 Dhs to other areas of Diera, and 30-40 Dhs to Jumeirah Beach and that area. Of course, this all depends on traffic which can gridlock you for 10-40 minutes in Diera alone. Both hotels have the private cars available as someone posted above. These are often hailed by the hotel bellmen if you do not specify that you want a taxi, and not a car. We took the cars a few times and found that the ride was much nicer (Lexus was most common type) for a price difference of $1 -5 USD. The JW Marriott often has 2-3 of these Lexus' sitting curbside at any given time, so we ended up using those more often at the JW.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Thanks for the great update! I'll be in Dubai over New Year's. Got a reward stay at the Ren; couldn't get the JW, where I stayed last time I was there. Sounds like I'll be OK.

Bruce
Old Feb 17, 2009, 4:42 pm
dfe
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K/MM; *A Gold Life; CX Gold; Marriott Platinum LT; SPG Plat; HHonors Diamond
J W Marriott -Dubai

Has anyone recently stayed at the JW in Dubai, and if so what are your impressions?
Old Feb 17, 2009, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
We were there in December. It's a decent enough place. Skip the restaurant with the buffet food. The mezze on the rooftop by the pool were great. And the hookahs were ....an expericence.

As a platinum we were upgraded to a full named suite. The lounge is decent enough.

Compared to some places in Dubai, this won't knock your socks off but the service is good, the upgrades exist, and the price is definitely right. Taxis are plentiful to get you anywhere very cheaply. It is also very close to the airport.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 1:04 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis Presidents Club
I was there with my wife for Christmas and New Year's eve - this was the second time for us at this property. The rooms are large and the lounge is one of the best. The level of service all round is very good, especially in the lounge. The breakfast service is OK with eggs cooked to order, the evening cocktail service and associated snacks are very good. We enjoyed the food in the buffets - much better than what is served in Vegas buffets. The pool area is small for the size of the hotel and can get crowded. The rooftop pool is also right under the flight path in and out of DXB so it is good if you are a plane spotter
A note about Taxis, the hotel taxis do have meters, but their rates are higher than the standard taxis so when you ask for a cab you might want to specify which type you want.
The Italian restaurant and JW Steakhouse are both very good.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 12:45 pm
dfe
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K/MM; *A Gold Life; CX Gold; Marriott Platinum LT; SPG Plat; HHonors Diamond
Thanks folks. I appreciate the responses.

dfe
Old Feb 18, 2009, 3:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
Was there for a couple nights in December. Nice hotel, but not over the top. The lounge, however, has great spreads for breakfast and in the evening. One of the better lounges in the system, IMO.

I'll echo the comments on the sedans/taxis. Be careful. An earlier thread goes into more detail, but even if you ask for a metered taxi, the doormen will pretend not to understand and shuffle you to a sedan. The absolute insistence of the doormen on using the sedans led to me question if someone is getting kickbacks for directing traffic that way.

BTW, if you have time to kill, the dhow wharf makes a nice walk from the hotel and gives you a slice of Dubai life that you otherwise wouldn't see.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I stayed there in July 2009. The room was fine it seemed a little tired. Not sure if it was an upgrade, but it was larger than the average room (but not a suite)

Much of the food was sub-par, but the fruit was especially awful. Didnt matter whether it was in the conceirge lounge or the buffet restaraunt, but the fruit was either hard as a rock or rotten. I rarely spit out food at a business meeting, but the watermelon was really that revolting.

I'm going to try the renaissance next time and will come back to offer any comparisons.

Everything everyone has written about the gypsy taxis (private cars) is correct. None of the bellmen wanted to get us metered taxis--they always wanted to get you into a private car. The line was, "You can have a taxi, but your going to have to wait for 15 minutes, but my friend here has a private car... This was true everywhere-- even at other hotels.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 6:20 pm

Programs: MR rewards
A+++++

The hotel is excellent, taxi there all time , to make sure just dial 0 and ask for one before pressing G floor.

Stayed at this hotel many times and it was one of the best the price was great,Have a nice stay ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.