Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed in a Marriott during the holidays?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone stayed in a Marriott during the holidays?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2012, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS

I was at the JW Grosvenor Place in London 20-25 December. The lounge was on normal hours, even on Christmas morning, and as usual was open the entire weekend.

I'll upload and post pics later, but the place had a festive air, with the lobby and hall to the front doors on Park Lane literally lined with a dozen decorated Christmas trees. On Christmas morning, we found a stocking hanging from the doorknob which was stuffed with 3 or 4 chocolate Santas, a jar of mixed nuts, candy canes, a white chocolate Snowman, and other cool candies.

I've been in the Frankfurt and Munich Marriots on Christmas also, but this really felt like home away from home.

Last edited by AATrout; Jan 6, 2013 at 2:43 pm Reason: This picture faces West from the lobby towards the Park Lane entrance
Old Dec 27, 2012, 4:55 pm
Used to be HSDebateCoach

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat, MR Plat Premier, Hertz Presidents Circle
A resort property so no lounge but a very festive vibe this week at the JW Camelback. Attending the managers reception in a few minutes and toasting s'mores tomorrow night. Not sure how many of the activities are regular and how many are holidays but the invitation delivered to our room yesterday indicated the reception is for the holidays.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 6:04 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
My wife and I just completed a stay at the Boston Copley Plaza Marriott. The lounge was closed until 2 January (I think). The hotel was busy with some student group and service was atrocious. We did a one night stay so she could attain Gold status for the coming year. I was NOT impressed with the Copley Marriott.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 2:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
I spent Dec 24 at a FS airport property, received the presidential suite as well as breakfast coupons for Christmas am. A very good stay overall.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by AATrout
I was at the JW Grosvenor House in London 20-25 December. The lounge was on normal hours, even on Christmas morning, and as usual was open the entire weekend.

I'll upload and post pics later, but the place had a festive air, with the lobby and hall to the front doors on Park Lane literally lined with a dozen decorated Christmas trees. On Christmas morning, we found a stocking hanging from the doorknob which was stuffed with 3 or 4 chocolate Santas, a jar of mixed nuts, candy canes, a white chocolate Snowman, and other cool candies.
Having stayed at that property many times I can just imagine what it looks like decorated for the holidays, and love the stocking hanging from the doorknob! Look forward to seeing pics.

Cheers.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 4:20 am

It is my practice to spend Christmas in Munich when I'm in Europe over the holidays. This year (and last year), I stayed at the Munich Marriott.

As a Platinum, one gets free breakfast in the restaurant even on weekends, and that did not change -- even over Christmas.

They don't have a formal "club" lounge, but in the evenings they do offer a food buffet and comp drinks (including beer and wine) in the breakfast area of the restaurant. They did that some of the days, but when the full restaurant was being used for a Christmas event, they set aside a part of the lobby bar for the comp food and drinks for Platinums (and, I think, maybe Golds as well).

All in all, they treated me very well.

Thanksgiving overseas is just another day most places, but the Marriott in Rio put on quite a bash for Thanksgiving Dinner when we were there -- in part for the guests, but it seemed about half the participants were local. Asked the manager, and was told this was quite an occasion for the ex-pat community and the more internationally-inclined local populace!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: US -Plat, UA-Plat, AA-Plat, Marriott - Platinum,
Just stayed one night at the Philadelphia Marriott with my wife (needed my 75th stay for the year). The lounge was closed and noticed the gift shop ran on reduced hours.

I was given breakfast coupons for the two of us as well as a coupon for a free appetizer.

I also commend them in that I asked for some bottle water from the front desk prior to leaving for dinner. Upon my return there were 8 20-ounce bottles of water!

Very Nice!
Old Jan 6, 2013, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
I added a pic of the JW Grosvenor main hallway holiday decor to my earlier post above and thought I would add this cheery image of a pub a few blocks away from the JW!

Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Loved the pic of the Grosvenor House hallway w/ the Xmas trees. Very festive! Pub above looks fun too.

Cheers.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Stayed at the JW Marriott in Grand Rapids, MI on NYE. The lounge was closed, but received breakfast vouchers. Breakfast was excellent, by the way, as is the hotel in general. It's a category five, but probably should be higher. Good place to redeem credit card free night vouchers if you have reason to be in Grand Rapids.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Was at JW in D.C. last week. Both NYE and NYD, lounge was open for breakfast and hot appetizers/desserts.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 4:26 pm

Programs: WN (CP 6x, A+ 2x), Marriott (LT Titanium), Hyatt Explorer, Hertz PC, UA/*A Silver
Stayed at the Marriott Madison West the 30th and 31st. There were some nice decorations - a handful of trees, a pair of giant nutcrackers in a few locations - but nothing too elaborate.

The lounge was closed, of course. Best part of the stay though - besides the suite upgrade - was the four breakfast coupons, each worth up to $35 (not including gratuity). Turns out these could be used for room service too, which I didn't realize until the 31st. We only needed one each day for three of us. The buffet was fine; nothing fancy, but a good offering. Eggs (to order or scrambled), bacon, sausage, breads, fruits, muffins, a few pastries, small cereal boxes.

BTW, there are some renovations going on in the higher floors, but they didn't bother us on 5.

Cheers.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: LT Marriott Uber Titanium; From US CP to dirt (Its been a while)
Wardman Park Marriott lounge was closed week of Thanksgiving. It was a ghost town so the older buildings were closed also.

They offered both Breakfast buffet certs (tip included) and voucher for an appetizer in the restaurant (tip included - missed that the first night).
They had certs printed out for each day of the week.

I wasn't sure if I would have friends over during my stay so they just gave me 2 certs each per day w/out any problems. Apps made for a nice dinner. Though they made their money back on their beer prices!

The other advantage going during a slow week. My upgraded suite was probably one of the the best suites I've ever stayed in. I don't get full size dining room tables and a bar to often.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.