74 or 75 nights (Gold/Platinum Q)

Old Nov 7, 12, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, Virgin Atlantic, BA
74 or 75 nights (Gold/Platinum Q)

This year I've travelled a lot with work (UK based), and will end up with approx. 75 nights.

Now, next year, there's no guarantee that I will travel as much. Bearing in mind the massive difference between silver and gold (and the relatively small difference between gold and platinum), what would you do in this situation:

Stay on 74 nights, therefore being gold for 2013, and rolling over 24 nights (= 26 nights to retain gold for 2014).

Or get 75 nights therefore rolling over none..

Is that how it works? This is my first year in a hotel loyalty scheme, so sorry for the novice question!

Thanks
Old Nov 7, 12, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum
Yes, this is exactly how it works. It depends on how many nights you're likely going to stay next year.

By the way, in the UK you can get the Marriott Rewards Credit Card which will give you 10 bonus elite nights every year (i.e. you'll only need 40 actual nights for Gold since you'll get 10 bonus nights for having the credit card).

If you think you'll stay 40 nights next year, I'd apply for the credit card and stay 75 nights. Otherwise go for 74 nights and apply for the credit card in January.

One more caveat I see: I've read that Marriott has given Platinum status to people who haven't reached 75 nights but got very close to it. If this would happen, it would obviously defeat your plan. I'm not sure how likely this is though... maybe others can comment.
Old Nov 7, 12, 2:51 pm

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Welcome to Flyertalk!

Depends...

Sometimes if you are short 1 or 2 nights MR may bestow platinum status on you. I have been renewed Plat status when I was 7 nights short a few years ago. But I have heard of others being 2 - 3 nights short a not getting Plat status. So it is not definite.

If you do make platinum for 2013, and don't stay enough nights for Platinum next year, they will usually drop you to gold (a soft landing) for 2014.

Regards,

RIP...
Old Nov 7, 12, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum
Actually, if you apply for the credit card this year and get approved, you'll get 10 bonus nights. So if you stay 75 nights you'll have 85 nights this year (with the 10 bonus nights), which would mean that 10 nights would roll over and you'd only need 30 actual nights next year.

Someone please correct me if this is wrong.
Old Nov 7, 12, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Ah ok. Understood.

Thanks for the responses

It'll be touchand go anyway. Currently on 54 nights, and have another 13 nights for definite... Not sure about the final few yet, depends how the project goes

Cheers
Old Nov 7, 12, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

And by the way, I already have the credit card - wanted to simplify the question, so didn't include it.

So have the 10 this year, and will get the 10 next
Old Nov 7, 12, 3:31 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
Also note that Marriott has "soft" landings for dropping elite levels each year.

Thus if you make Plat this year, you will be Plat for all of next year (2013). Then even if you make no nights next year, you still only drop to Gold for the year after that (2014).

So it may not be all that helpful to try and get those extra roll-over nights for next year (even if Marriott doesn't go ahead and give you Plat anyway).
Old Nov 7, 12, 4:32 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Much of the discussion on this thread presumes roll over nights. Do we have anything from MR that shows they are going to allow roll overs again?

David
Old Nov 7, 12, 4:37 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Do we have anything from MR that shows they are going to allow roll overs again?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...13-status.html
Old Nov 7, 12, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Much of the discussion on this thread presumes roll over nights. Do we have anything from MR that shows they are going to allow roll overs again?
Rollover confirmed for 2012/2013
Old Nov 7, 12, 5:10 pm

Programs: MR PP, UA Silver, SW A-List, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hhoope01 View Post
Also note that Marriott has "soft" landings for dropping elite levels each year.

Thus if you make Plat this year, you will be Plat for all of next year (2013). Then even if you make no nights next year, you still only drop to Gold for the year after that (2014).

So it may not be all that helpful to try and get those extra roll-over nights for next year (even if Marriott doesn't go ahead and give you Plat anyway).
I have huge swings in the amount of yearly travel w/Marriott and have received the soft landing to gold every time (not that anyone it doubting it happens).

I'd only go for a rollover instead of getting plat if I knew I'd likely be staying enough to get to 75 next year w/ the rollover nights but not without them (with 10 from the CC and 24 rollover.. that's still 41 nights to get plat for 2014). Then platinum would last through 2014 and soft landing to gold for 2015.

Also consider if you are plat, you get a slight bump in point earnings right off the bat and 500 points (or other arrival gift) on each stay. Not a lot, but something.
Old Nov 7, 12, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I do remember reading several posts about someone missing renewing their status by a few to several nights and getting their status extended another year, but not getting bumped up for getting close. I'd say go for Plat and enjoy that next year. If you don't make the 75 number next year, then expect Gold for 2014, even if you don't make 50 nights!
Old Nov 7, 12, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat Exec
If you expect little travel next year and you go for Platinum, then not only you will not take much advantage of the Platinum perks but as you stated it, you may not even make Gold the year after.

With that being said, if you are not sure whether you will travel or not but may travel extensively again (ex: if you do consulting), then go for Platinum. Worst case you don't get any status for 2014; you will do a Plat or Gold challenge at that time and here you go!
Old Nov 7, 12, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
that is IF the challenges are still being offered, as reports show that several have asked for it and told that there are none.........

Originally Posted by sorka View Post
Worst case you don't get any status for 2014; you will do a Plat or Gold challenge at that time and here you go!
Old Nov 7, 12, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by sorka View Post
If you expect little travel next year and you go for Platinum, then not only you will not take much advantage of the Platinum perks but as you stated it, you may not even make Gold the year after.

With that being said, if you are not sure whether you will travel or not but may travel extensively again (ex: if you do consulting), then go for Platinum. Worst case you don't get any status for 2014; you will do a Plat or Gold challenge at that time and here you go!
MR does a soft landing, so if the OP does make Plat this year, then 2014 will be Gold until Feb 2015 even if he does zero nights in 2013. And given you can't do a challenge for Gold if you are Gold, then it will be 2015 before needed. If it's available and hasn't been targeted for "enhancement" by MR.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: