Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

% of rooms that are Occupied by Platinums

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2012, 6:55 am
Original Poster

I had an issue (resolved by the Sales manager) recently at a FS Marriott and she told me that the hotel was 60% full with Platinums.

Anyone have any ideas what the normal rate is for other properties? Probably explains why I thought the Concierge room was ridiculously full.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 7:14 am

Programs: Marriott, Virgin Atlantic, BA
Which hotel was this? A business-type hotel on a weeknight?
Old Nov 6, 2012, 7:18 am
Original Poster

FS Marriott in Florida. Midweek
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:05 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hilton Silver (Yuck)
I stayed at a FS Marriott in Minnetonka (Near Minneapolis) which, as I was told by the GM, has the highest percentage of Platinums and PP's staying there of any property in the country.

There was one week where I nearly got walked, because they were oversold with Platinums. 100%+ Occupancy of Platinums alone.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I just thought that was insane.

Large property too.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know in Wailea at Thanksgiving the number of plats and glods was huge according to the front desk. She was kind of harried trying to get the DYKWIA plats in front of us checked in, and was explaining that to them.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'd say during M-F both Plats/Golds % will be high.

Cheers.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I'd say during M-F both Plats/Golds % will be high.

Cheers.
This is pretty obvious. I was shocked that 60% would be platinums on a given night. IMHO I much rather stay at a CY or Fairfield down the street get the suite and treated like a king vs. be one of MANY.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by jr1202sr
This is pretty obvious. I was shocked that 60% would be platinums on a given night. IMHO I much rather stay at a CY or Fairfield down the street get the suite and treated like a king vs. be one of MANY.
What makes you think that Gold/Plats aren't staying at CY or FIs down the street? We've had reports in dif threads of FTers being told when checking in at CY/FI/SHS that a high % of those at those properties were also G/Ps. It's not unique to FS.

FWIW - I think the % varies, re: of FS or not, dependent on location, day & size of property. Sometimes it might be 20%, sometimes 60%, sometimes 80%.

Cheers.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
I had an issue (resolved by the Sales manager) recently at a FS Marriott and she told me that the hotel was 60% full with Platinums.

Anyone have any ideas what the normal rate is for other properties? Probably explains why I thought the Concierge room was ridiculously full.
yes, yes I do...sorry I can't share....but it really varies by location, day of week, and events in the area
Old Nov 6, 2012, 5:30 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Midweek at a corporate park hotel, it would not surprise me to see north of 50% Plats.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by precchia
I stayed at a FS Marriott in Minnetonka (Near Minneapolis) which, as I was told by the GM, has the highest percentage of Platinums and PP's staying there of any property in the country.

There was one week where I nearly got walked, because they were oversold with Platinums. 100%+ Occupancy of Platinums alone.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I just thought that was insane.

Large property too.
Interesting. I know the property, although I've never stayed there. It seems to be just a standard mid-rise modern suburban Marriott with no obvious single corporate customer like some other suburban hotels in our area have. It's far from the airport and not especially convenient for downtown, so I don't see why Marriott elites would especially stay here.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 9:17 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman's, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Interesting. I know the property, although I've never stayed there. It seems to be just a standard mid-rise modern suburban Marriott with no obvious single corporate customer like some other suburban hotels in our area have. It's far from the airport and not especially convenient for downtown, so I don't see why Marriott elites would especially stay here.
UnitedHealthcare is down the street ...
Old Nov 7, 2012, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
What makes you think that Gold/Plats aren't staying at CY or FIs down the street? We've had reports in dif threads of FTers being told when checking in at CY/FI/SHS that a high % of those at those properties were also G/Ps. It's not unique to FS.

FWIW - I think the % varies, re: of FS or not, dependent on location, day & size of property. Sometimes it might be 20%, sometimes 60%, sometimes 80%.

Cheers.
LOL b/c I have stayed at them recently as an alternative. NEVER had a problem calling ahead and getting upgraded PRIOR to arrival to a suite. Some have Balcony's too. Rates are about 1/3 to 1/2 cheaper.

I prefer a FS Marriott. This one is a CAT 3 if that tells you anything. But if half the hotel is in the Lounge making food and seats scarce and you aren't going to get an upgraded b/c of the sheer #'s than I don't see the point. The rooms don't even have safes when some of the CY's and other brands do locally.

I do find it funny perhaps the worst rated Marriott in the Country is so full of Platinums frequently.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 4:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
if you're not happy being amongst so many plats you can opt with your feet and wallet for another prop and not stay at the "worst rated" Marriott in CONUS as your staying elsewhere certainly will not be driving the prop out of business.............

LOL b/c I have stayed at them recently as an alternative. NEVER had a problem calling ahead and getting upgraded PRIOR to arrival to a suite. Some have Balcony's too. Rates are about 1/3 to 1/2 cheaper.

I prefer a FS Marriott. This one is a CAT 3 if that tells you anything. But if half the hotel is in the Lounge making food and seats scarce and you aren't going to get an upgraded b/c of the sheer #'s than I don't see the point. The rooms don't even have safes when some of the CY's and other brands do locally.

I do find it funny perhaps the worst rated Marriott in the Country is so full of Platinums frequently.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
UHG's (UHC) HQ are right next door (2 minute walk from front door to front door)...Best Buy's Campus use to be just down the street making it the closest hotel (before they relocated all of those auto dealers and built their new HQ)...SuperValu is right there too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.