FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Marriott to add 143 props in Asia......... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1404194-marriott-add-143-props-asia.html)

BKKLEE Nov 4, 2012 11:23 pm

Marriott to add 143 props in Asia.........

USA Today (Asian ed.)
Hotel operator Marriott International Inc. says it plans to more than double the number of its properties in Asia in the next four years.

Marriott said Tuesday it expects to add 143 hotels to its 132 properties in Asia for a total of more than 80,000 rooms in 16 countries. The company said its Asian workforce should grow by 36,000 people to a total of 76,000 by 2016

but please, NO more props in Shanghai..........23 are more then sufficient!
but we could use 1 in both Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai which are only represented by Starwood & Accor and one in Hue/DaNang wouldn't be objected to and there's always Yangon/Rangoon which REALLY needs a few new 4/5* props as the existing ones (Strand, Sedona, Khawaggi Palace are really old, battered and bruised) but tourists are starting to come into the country........

johnaalex Nov 5, 2012 12:05 am

I hope Patong Beach is on the list.

mackenzie77 Nov 5, 2012 12:20 am

Could really use them in some of the second-tier Chinese cities I do business in like Nanjing, Xian, Chengdu, Hangzhou....

BKKLEE Nov 5, 2012 12:55 am

they already have JW & CY in Hangzhou........... but in the other secondary cities, absolutely.........

Originally Posted by mackenzie77 (Post 19625646)
Could really use them in some of the second-tier Chinese cities I do business in like Nanjing, Xian, Chengdu, Hangzhou....

mjcewl1284 Nov 5, 2012 1:40 am

How about Taipei? The lack of any Marriott prop in Taiwan for the past few decades (or since ever) is puzzling to me.

BKKLEE Nov 5, 2012 1:47 am

+1

[QUOTE=mjcewl1284;19625796]How about Taipei? The lack of any Marriott prop in Taiwan for the past few decades .................QUOTE]

GodErnst Nov 5, 2012 3:00 am

I would concur that Taipei is the biggest gap in the system, but there are several other places that need more love from Marriott.

Manila
- After losing Renaissance in Makati 2 years ago the only Marriott hotel is at the airport when 95% of business travelers want to stay in Makati

Tokyo
- Asia's largest city only has an RC and a terrible Courtyard!!

Wan1dap Nov 5, 2012 4:55 am

What about NZ? There's room in Auckland and Queenstown.

BKKLEE Nov 5, 2012 4:58 am

add Lake Taupo too (to compete w Hilton's presence)........ and if they do would give me a reason to return to Scenic Cellars Wine Shop for some of the best food & wine I had in NZ............and anytime is a good time for Duetz!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Wan1dap (Post 19626243)
What about NZ? There's room in Auckland and Queenstown.

Flapster Nov 5, 2012 5:21 am

Long time follower - first time poster.

I would like to see more hotels in Europe personally. Lots of countries where there's not much coverage. Quite happy with the amount in the UK.

BKKLEE Nov 5, 2012 6:05 am

hey now, didn't you guys just add 80 AC by Marriott's last year + a few Autograph Collection props.................... now, if Marriott would add a few in Scandinavia and the Baltic countries that would be very welcome............

Originally Posted by Flapster (Post 19626317)
I would like to see more hotels in Europe personally. Lots of countries where there's not much coverage. Quite happy with the amount in the UK.

Flapster Nov 5, 2012 7:06 am

Very true - the AC properties were a great boost. Scandinavia and the Baltics is still Europe though :)

McGoogles Nov 5, 2012 9:20 am

Marriotts at Japanese ski resorts... PLEASE!

iztok Nov 5, 2012 9:34 am

Croatia and Cyprus would be nice. Albeit not in Asia.

BKKLEE Nov 5, 2012 9:35 am

there's a Renaissance in Sapporo which isn't that far from Niseko................ used it as a base as well as the established Hilton, but not that far off (and Sapporo offers ice festival in Jan - not as good as Harbin, but still OK as well as several giant crab restaurants and Royce shops)..............

Originally Posted by McGoogles (Post 19627492)
Marriotts at Japanese ski resorts... PLEASE!