Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select Packages - Deals from the Topic drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by kapooncha
Did you contact the department that the bloggers said to email or someone else?
Yes, I did exactly what was on the blogs when that department was on the dropdown - someone was saying it has been removed but I haven't checked myself. My first attempts were met with confusion and those took 1-2 days to receive and then my successful attempt took 8 days from submission to be completed.
kapooncha likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Willbur
Yes, I did exactly what was on the blogs when that department was on the dropdown - someone was saying it has been removed but I haven't checked myself. My first attempts were met with confusion and those took 1-2 days to receive and then my successful attempt took 8 days from submission to be completed.
Correct, it has been removed. They now have a reservation for managing points which seemed like the best option so I contacted them.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by kapooncha
Gotcha. I don't want that though. I want to downgrade the cert but receive a 30k point refund like Wilbur did. I have a Tier 1-3 cert.
I'd imagine if they're willing to give full refunds already then you getting the 30k points is just a matter of time.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder

It depends on where and when and for what you are looking. Counting on the idea that its just the likes of properties in the Maldives or FP that may be tough to find 7 nights of standard rooms during peak demand dates is likely to lead to a lot more of Marriott over-promising and under-delivering so as to increase customer frustration. Do you realize that it was also likely this kind of concern about customer frustration with finding standard rooms for these certs that resulted in Marriotts historical extension of validity dates for otherwise expiring TP certs?
I dont know why you are so negative about the idea upgrading to NC7.

I am pretty sure I will be able to find availability. If not, I can request extension, so I am good in either situation.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
Originally Posted by johnstein

I dont know why you are so negative about the idea upgrading to NC7.

I am pretty sure I will be able to find availability. If not, I can request extension, so I am good in either situation.
I don't think anyone is being overly negative, I think we're all just trying to caution that people really think it through before dropping a big chunk of miles to upgrade to a certificate which gives you (comparatively) the lowest miles savings of any other certificate. Keep in mind you'll only be able to apply an NC7 to future category 8 hotels through the beginning of 2019...after then it will be usable at a smaller set of properties (only Cat 7). I'd also not be so sure you can get an extension....this is officially no longer permitted. Gone are the days when we'll be able to upgrade, downgrade and extend certificates at will.

While I suspect Marriott will relent and allow some limited flexibility on certificates issued prior to the consolidation, I don't think they will allow the same flexibility long term. To me that means I need to be very sure I can use whatever cert I get issued.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jamiehaas27
What is my best option for a previous cat 9 certificate? What could I expect to be refunded? Has anyone had any luck attaching to a reservation they made prior to the rate change? For example a 7 night that used to cost 270k, but now costs 300k+?

What would the cost be to upgrade to a cat 7?
same boat as you. have two cat 9 certs that are attached (to the JW in Cancun). Would love to know if there are any sweet spots that I should be looking into. I'm trying to catch up but it seems like information overload now
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by ocdb8r
Do the math as I'm not so sure trying to upgrade (or even holding on) to a NC7 is worth it to everyone. The turn in value of a NC7 is worth 315k points which is sufficient to book 6 nights at a Cat 7 hotel (or Cat 8 through the end of the year) using 5th night free and you would still have 15k points left over. To me, the flexibility of booking with points may not be worth the 45k savings on a 7 night stay. I imagine at the most aspirational properties are going to get exceedingly difficult to find 7 nights in a row...and I might like the flexibility to stay a shorter period anyhow. Bottom line, to me getting a hold of an NC7 isn't a slam dunk (if upgrade cost is based on the turn in value of points - which has been the case thus far).
I like this analysis and it varies on Category, for example comparing NC5/6/7 travel packages vs trading the package in for it's value and using points you get:
NC4 = 45k trade in vs 150k for 7 nights redemption = 105k saving
NC5 = 105k trade in vs 210k for 7 nights redemption = 105k saving
NC6 = 165k trade in vs 300k for 7 nights redemption = 135k saving
NC7 = 315k trade in vs 360k for 7 nights redemption = 45k saving

Sweet spot is NC6 by that maths, although you also have to consider the flexibility you get from points and 5th night free as a 5 night stay.

I'm holding 5 x NC5's. Ideally I'd upgrade to NC6 at the old rates but if thats not possible I think I'll be trading in for the points.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by ocdb8r
I don't think anyone is being overly negative, I think we're all just trying to caution that people really think it through before dropping a big chunk of miles to upgrade to a certificate which gives you (comparatively) the lowest miles savings of any other certificate. Keep in mind you'll only be able to apply an NC7 to future category 8 hotels through the beginning of 2019...after then it will be usable at a smaller set of properties (only Cat 7). I'd also not be so sure you can get an extension....this is officially no longer permitted. Gone are the days when we'll be able to upgrade, downgrade and extend certificates at will.

While I suspect Marriott will relent and allow some limited flexibility on certificates issued prior to the consolidation, I don't think they will allow the same flexibility long term. To me that means I need to be very sure I can use whatever cert I get issued.
Well, I can handle such situations. Thanks to SPG luxury, I have enough points (300k+) to burn again anyway.

What I want to emphasize is that if Marriott offers upgrade/downgrade opportunities to legacy TP holders, they must be fair. They also must give those opportunities for Cert 9 and Tier 1-3 holders so that they can upgrade theirs to NC7.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
Originally Posted by wonderman
I like this analysis and it varies on Category, for example comparing NC5/6/7 travel packages vs trading the package in for it's value and using points you get:
NC4 = 45k trade in vs 150k for 7 nights redemption = 105k saving
NC5 = 105k trade in vs 210k for 7 nights redemption = 105k saving
NC6 = 165k trade in vs 300k for 7 nights redemption = 135k saving
NC7 = 315k trade in vs 360k for 7 nights redemption = 45k saving

Sweet spot is NC6 by that maths, although you also have to consider the flexibility you get from points and 5th night free as a 5 night stay.

I'm holding 5 x NC5's. Ideally I'd upgrade to NC6 at the old rates but if thats not possible I think I'll be trading in for the points.
This is precisely how I'm looking at things. I feel fortunate to have two NC6's (converted from OC9's) but am struggling a bit. Lots of options in the new Cat 6 but only a few that are really inspiring and I'm not confident I'll find a way to use them both in the next 12 months. Really hoping Marriott allows extensions at some point.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:43 pm

I am SO sad....
I was forced to pre-book a trip but now my plans changed and I want to move the date up by 1 week.
But since the hotel went up in category.... i'd have to fork out the difference.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by ahh.lun
I am SO sad....
I was forced to pre-book a trip but now my plans changed and I want to move the date up by 1 week.
But since the hotel went up in category.... i'd have to fork out the difference.
you can't upgrade your cert though? Unless I'm wrong here...
Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:29 pm

Programs: Marriott
Originally Posted by atojbk
you can't upgrade your cert though? Unless I'm wrong here...
You're not wrong. However, CSRs seem to be giving out more misinformation. I was told the following about changing anything related to my cert-attached reservation:

"If you modify your stay dates after 18 August, you will be subject to the new Free Night Award Chart point values. Extending your stay or shifting your stay dates will result in a recalculation of points required for your reservation."

When I pointed out that this didn't make sense given the no upgrade policy (which they mentioned earlier in the conversation) and asked how that would be possible if I couldn't upgrade my cert, I got the following response:

"The answers we are finding are don't speak specific to your individual circumstances. While we can't make promises, if and when you do need to change your dates, please connect with us and we can try to work with the hotel for the best solution."

What the official policy or options will be after the 18th seem to be anyone's guess. The CSRs definitely don't know what the final word is.
jeepie and atojbk like this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: DL FF, Marriott LT Plat., National EA
Originally Posted by zerodegre
What are the codes in the 5 night certs. Need to know. I have one in my account also can attach to an SPG legacy property
The code for my 5 night Old Category 6 (which I'm hoping to upgrade to a New Category 5) is P570.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by dsperling
The code for my 5 night Old Category 6 (which I'm hoping to upgrade to a New Category 5) is P570.
Old Cat 7 is P610. Guess +/- 40 per category, OC5 may be P530....
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:22 am

Lurker who had a great stay planned until this whole merger nonsense happened. I wanted to run a few details past you guys since you all seem to be the most knowledgeable about the packages. We have a stay booked at the Maui Residence Inn over spring break that I booked with points advance. I bought a OC5 with 120k SW points with the intention of upgrading to a OC8 once I earned the points form my Marriott Biz in another month or so. Under the old setup I would have paid 360K, pretty much tapping my points out. The hotel ended up going from a OC8 to a NC6. But now not being able to use the cert at all is messing things up. If I took the 45k refund I could cover 5 nights which is better than nothing but certainly not as good as the 7 nights I had planned.

TL;DR: *if* they decided to be nice and allow upgrades in the future, would I pay the difference on the new points chart between categories--60k? Or would it be the difference in what I paid already (270k) to current package price (390K) for a total of 120k?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.