Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crimsona
Update on my situation. So after getting my cat 4 night partial pack, I was unable to book the Springhill suites main gate in Anaheim on points advance.

Even after depleting my account, I was unable to book it on points advance (at 0 percent, 50 percent or 90 percent of the points of the booking)

So back to the phones. First agent was able to book it on points advance, but unable to attach due to September 19 quote, but at least have a booking to work with

Another 45 minutes later, gave new agent the booking reference number and he managed to attach the cert without issues.

I am not touching this booking in case of jinxing myself
Thanks for the update. Looks like you are all set. IIRC, you canceled a reservation online and the OC5 did not return to your account. Instead you got 45K pts refunded. Eventually you were able to reorder a NC4 (QP83) with the 45K but was not able to book.

This is the First DP that the NC can be attached to a property, unless I have missed posts on that.

I wonder why some (very few though) agent could do it but majority of them could not? Did the agent mention anything about "Old System" or anything like s/he had to go to a different screen to do it?

I have a 7 nights at HKG for 3rd week of Oct that is booked with Points Advance method. Currently my certs are the OC1-5 (the property is at 25K NC4). I have up to Oct 10 to attach the cert (per the 14 days rule). Hopefully by Sept 19th we could use our certs without having to jump thru hoops, waste many manhours / kill many braincells just to be able to use our certs.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 27, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
I have my OC7 cert attached to a SpringHill that is now a NC6. What are the chances that a Marriott agent will be willing/forced to upgrade my OC7 (NC5) cert to NC6 without a fee if I request a date change for my reservation ? HUCA much ?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
I have my OC7 cert attached to a SpringHill that is now a NC6. What are the chances that a Marriott agent will be willing/forced to upgrade my OC7 (NC5) cert to NC6 without a fee if I request a date change for my reservation ? HUCA much ?
Nil on both (willing/forced) but it does not hurt to try and report back. May be you would get super lucky.

Marriott will honor the booking made before category going up. Any change would void the original reservation and everything starts anew. That has been the practice long exists. Dont see how any agent would do anything differently, let alone being "forced" to allow an upgrade. not to mention "without a fee". .
tbrein and nli007 like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
The "Packages & Deals" topic has been removed from the list of topics in the Marriott online contact form

Last edited by MasterGeek; Aug 27, 2018 at 3:17 pm
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Thanks for the update. Looks like you are all set. IIRC, you canceled a reservation online and the OC5 did not return to your account. Instead you got 45K pts refunded. Eventually you were able to reorder a NC4 (QP83) with the 45K but was not able to book.

This is the First DP that the NC can be attached to a property, unless I have missed posts on that.

I wonder why some (very few though) agent could do it but majority of them could not? Did the agent mention anything about "Old System" or anything like s/he had to go to a different screen to do it?
First agent did mention multiple screens, and said that the screen she was looking at didn't have the certificate available to be attached.

Went to ask for a supervisor who mentioned that it's blocked until september 19. My stay starts Sep 19 so waiting wasn't really an option with the points typically debited out of the account a week before the stay

It was only after that that she tried to make a booking and points advance was available. I took it as it was still progress, and HUCA afterwards
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:33 pm

I have a 7 nights at HKG for 3rd week of Oct that is booked with Points Advance method. Currently my certs are the OC1-5 (the property is at 25K NC4). I have up to Oct 10 to attach the cert (per the 14 days rule). Hopefully by Sept 19th we could use our certs without having to jump thru hoops, waste many manhours / kill many braincells just to be able to use our certs.
I managed to attach my new NC4 (previously OC1-6) to a property in HKG (a new cat 1-4 ) by asking the agent after she downgraded the OC6 to NC4. The confirmed booking and 30k refund showed up instantly in my Marriott app.
Brendan and cruisr like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrella
I managed to attach my new NC4 (previously OC1-6) to a property in HKG (a new cat 1-4 ) by asking the agent after she downgraded the OC6 to NC4. The confirmed booking and 30k refund showed up instantly in my Marriott app.
All done on the same call? If so, you were very lucky to get an agent who is not only willing to help but also competent, knew how to go about it to make it work.

We now have enough DPs that NC CAN be attached to a point advance booking. It is just a matter finding an agent willing to attempt the process. SIGH. it really should not be this hard.
Brendan likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
The "Packages & Deals" topic has been removed from the list of topics in the Marriott online contact form
Wow! I put my request in on Saturday and it was still there then.

Marriott management just does not know how to run a company. Sad!
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:26 pm

All done on the same call? If so, you were very lucky to get an agent who is not only willing to help but also competent, knew how to go about it to make it work.

We now have enough DPs that NC CAN be attached to a point advance booking. It is just a matter finding an agent willing to attempt the process. SIGH. it really should not be this hard.
Clarifying my booking was not a points advance booking. I consider it a standard "new" 7 night travel package certificate booking after requesting a downgrading from a "legacy" 7 night travel package certificate and receiving a 30k points refund as well. Sorry for the confusion.

However the downgrade and the booking was done on the same call. I called 1 801 468 4000, rather than the elite Customer Care 1-800 number, to see if I got through to an experienced/knowledgeable Marriott Rewards agent, and it seemed I did. Perhaps it was luck of the draw?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder

“Originally Marriott was thinking of being generous” with the TPs? Despite its greed? Let’s get real, that was not their intent..

Blaming the bloggers and FTers for Marriott’s incompetence and greed is like blaming the rooster’s “cock-a-doodle-do” for the sun rising and setting.
Yes, I thought that Marriott's policy of having Starwood point conversion as 1:3 being generous. I also thought giving Starwood Gold with Marriott Gold, and Starwood Platinum to Marriott Platinum generous.

So yes, they are generous to the Starwood members.

Obviously they run out of money being generous ..... or the shareholders have knocked the door saying, I need to see value from my investments.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:26 pm

Cancelled a booking with OC5 , e-certificate disappeard

Today i called to cancel a booking with OC5 which was booked before 18/08 cos my plan changed.
after canceling it , I saw the OC5 returned into my account immediately. But about 30min later I logged out and logged in again, I found the OC5 disappeared from my account.
Tried to call the customer care several time, no one knew what was going on and cannot help to bring OC5 back into my account.
so frustrated and disappointed
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Yanhui Leung
Today i called to cancel a booking with OC5 which was booked before 18/08 cos my plan changed.
after canceling it , I saw the OC5 returned into my account immediately. But about 30min later I logged out and logged in again, I found the OC5 disappeared from my account.
Tried to call the customer care several time, no one knew what was going on and cannot help to bring OC5 back into my account.
The whole TP transition has been a sht show
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by BaconSF

The whole TP transition has been a sht show
Now i don’t know if they will return my OC5
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yanhui Leung
Did 45K back to your account? That was the case up till your post - canceled a reservation with a cert attached, the cert is cancelled and the pts returned to one's account. Everyone has been able to reorder a NC 4 with the returned 45K. May have to call back a few times but essentially those who wanted their certs back have been able to do so.

That is why you should DETACH the cert first before cancelling the reservation. There is a poster did exactly that after seeing what happened on the attached cert if the underlying booking is canceled. His post is very recent on this thread.

While the whole TP thing is a $hit show there are things the customers can do to prevent $hit happened to them if they take time to follow this thread and carefully read the DPs reported here, so to avoid perils and learn how to make things work.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:06 pm

Did 45K back to your account? That was the case up till your post - canceled a reservation with a cert attached, the cert is cancelled and the pts returned to one's account. Everyone has been able to reorder a NC 4 with the returned 45K. May have to call back a few times but essentially those who wanted their certs back have been able to do so.

That is why you should DETACH the cert first before cancelling the reservation. There is a poster did exactly that after seeing what happened on the attached cert if the underlying booking is canceled. His post is very recent on this thread.

While the whole TP thing is a $hit show there are things the customers can do to prevent $hit happened to them if they take time to follow this thread and carefully read the DPs reported here, so to avoid perils and learn how to make things work.
i didn’t do that and no 45k return to account

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.