Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select Packages - Deals from the Topic drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by crimsona
In a trip right now so not able to call, but if I already have a new travel pack, can it be attached ?

I wasn't able to do points advance since I had the requisite number in points in the account. I suppose I need to make a dummy booking to use up the points and then a second reservation on advance, and then try to attach the new cat 4?
No point advance at SPG properties.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 1:04 pm

This is spring hill suites. Not booking SPG
Old Aug 26, 2018, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by rny321
3.14.c. Once a Travel Package is processed:

i. airline Miles cannot be transferred back to the Membership Account; and

ii. the hotel award portion of the Travel Package is non-refundable to the Member if cancelled or not used.

Terms & Conditions

3.14.c.ii was not in the old Terms and Conditions.
This is interesting.

I have a 7 night reservation at a new category 6 hotel that I booked with my old cat 8 certificate. I won't be able to make that stay; I assume if I cancel the reservation, I will get a new category 5 certificate...
Old Aug 26, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
This is interesting.

I have a 7 night reservation at a new category 6 hotel that I booked with my old cat 8 certificate. I won't be able to make that stay; I assume if I cancel the reservation, I will get a new category 5 certificate...
I believe it will be less stressful if you ask a rep to detach the certificate before cancelling the reservation. One of the Lurker's told us that we can downgrade a Cat 8 to a Cat 7 and receive a new Cat 5 and 30K back. Unfortunately, CSRs don't appear to know about this option.

It appears that canceling a reservation with a certificate attached will cause you certificate to be canceled as well. People have been successful in getting new certificates issued but not with it wasting a lot of time.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zerodegre

Can I book a reservation on points without them having to come out of my account. Im trying to put on hold a five night reservation for one of my 5 night certs certificates. Then when booking is avail with certs again. I will apply it. If there please let me know how.
Originally Posted by crimsona
In a trip right now so not able to call, but if I already have a new travel pack, can it be attached ?

I wasn't able to do points advance since I had the requisite number in points in the account. I suppose I need to make a dummy booking to use up the points and then a second reservation on advance, and then try to attach the new cat 4?
You need to first make some dummy bookings to deplete your existing point balance to at least below 30% of the requirement of your intended booking - this way would prevent the system automatically take points from your account, even not enough for the full requirement. I have found that the system WILL take partial payment from the point balance.
Once your point balance has gone down enough, then you can make the reservation with the point advance condition - can be done on all Marriott properties, not sure if it is done on Marriott site, would it also allow you to do so on SPG prperties. Supposedly SPG properties cannot be booked this way but who knows how the website behaves now, since there is no more SPG system any more.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by LDoc
I agree and my guess is that when Marriott finally makes a REAL statement on Travel Packages (floating certificates, reservation changes, SPG property bookings) it will be as follows:

DOWNGRADE
1-time one category downgrade with 30K point refund only for categories negatively affected by the new category map (OC6, OC8, OCTier1-3)

UPGRADE
Based on the new Travel Package rates (see above quote for rate conversions by category)

So, if you have an OC8 (NC5) and downgrade to OC7 (NC5) to get your 30K refund and then upgrade from NC5 to NC6 you will need 180K points for a net cost of 510K (360K - 30K refund + 180K), which is the same as the new Travel Package rate for a category 6 property. Meaning you get no value for booking prior to Aug 18 armed with the old Travel Package rates unless you attached a reservation to a property and going forward do not need to change dates. If your property did not change to a new category after Aug 18, you should be OK to change dates.

If this downgrade/upgrade scenario is executed by Marriott, then not releasing the new category map, letting CSRs misinform their customers, setting a hard cut off date, having a blackout period, using SPG properties as post Aug 18 bookings bait, etc was not a bug; it was a feature realized under the guise of the merger integration to get a lot of points off their books. Most importantly, off their books at the category rate they ultimately wanted by duping consumers that need date changes, wanted to book an SPG property, or who were deceived by the multitude of ill-informed statements made by their CSRs prior to Aug 18 regarding the very information Marriott hid to obfuscate their OWN customers!

But, hey they put a Mormon bible in my room so they must be ethical. RIGHT?
Agree with everything you said, except your last line. No need to make a religious slam.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rny321
I believe it will be less stressful if you ask a rep to detach the certificate before cancelling the reservation. One of the Lurker's told us that we can downgrade a Cat 8 to a Cat 7 and receive a new Cat 5 and 30K back. Unfortunately, CSRs don't appear to know about this option.

It appears that canceling a reservation with a certificate attached will cause you certificate to be canceled as well. People have been successful in getting new certificates issued but not with it wasting a lot of time.
It is going to be a multi-steps process and would involve lots of HUCA primarily to find a rep / supervisor willing to help. Most seem would not touch any TP certs. Based on at least 2 conversations with different call centers, a rep and a supervisor who sounded very robotic and very "by the book", both mentioned about agents would be reprimanded if they touched the TP certs including one guy who claimed he was a supervisor, said he valued about his job and would not put his job at risk to do anything against the internal memo that was issued 2 days and 3 hours ago (that was on a call made on Friday day time) by giving me the EXACT date and time of the memo...
I suspect that Marriott has put a lot of pressure on their CSRs NOT to help customers on TP, may even with threat of terminating employments - that explained why it was so hard to find someone to help when the system actually allows remedies. Marriott does NOT want to make those remedies available to us the customers.

Back to the task on hand - trying to change a cert

1) Detach the cert from existing reservation first. This should not meet resistance from the CSR as the cert remains the cert as it is.

2) Using the codes we have deciphered so far, ask the CSR if s/he could "replace" the now detached cert with a new cert. Using the Codes would facilitate the communication and understanding. How much progress you can make depends on how the CSR's willingness to try. Essentially this is to cancel the detached cert with the full points returning to your account (from instant to a few minutes if the CSR knows how to do it - thru the "old" system - the CSR who helped me on Saturday had to call to find out the How To, then she told me she had to use the "old" system to cancel my QP80. It took several minutes before I saw the pts returned to my account.
A day before that I had a helpful CSR "did" it but was a failed attempt as I did not see any confirmation email nor points coming back. She told me it would take a few hours for the system update. We know that is NOT the case - that it is instant as long as the system is up and running (as evidenced that I could log in and out and back in.) Said rep was kind enough to send me an email 45min later, informing me the system did not fully cancel the cert. That I should call back in a later date. I appreciated her thoughtfulness to let me know the cancellation wasn't successful. What is interesting is, the email was sent from Starwoodhotels.com address... The number she gave to call back at a later date, is the old Marriott Gold Elite number.

3) The next step is to order the new cert you want. Again, using the Code to facilitate the process.

Read back tonywush's excellent write up on how he successfully did this. This should be used as a template for anyone who wants to swap their old certs with new certs, and get back their overpaid 30K in the process.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30121520-post6238.html
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by sdflyer04

Agree with everything you said, except your last line. No need to make a religious slam.
Pointing out the hypocrisy of the religious is not a "religious slam"; it is a slam against the hypocrite.
dhacker likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
Pointing out the hypocrisy of the religious is not a "religious slam"; it is a slam against the hypocrite.
lol you are condemning Mormons because of the way a publicly traded corporation handled your 7 night travel package haha
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:10 pm

Has anyone managed after 8/18 to downgrade a 7-night package to get the 30k points back? I tried to downgrade OC6 -> OC5 (both mapping to NC4), and was told they cannot make any modifications until 9/18.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AbelianGrape
Has anyone managed after 8/18 to downgrade a 7-night package to get the 30k points back? I tried to downgrade OC6 -> OC5 (both mapping to NC4), and was told they cannot make any modifications until 9/18.
Several have succeeded.

Read just a few posts above yours - I gave enough information and even provide the link of Post 6367 from a poster successfully did it. It is a detailed report on how to do it. Of course it takes many calls and many hours wasted to get it done because it all depends on finding an agent willing to help.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by sdflyer04

Originally Posted by zerodegre

lol you are condemning Mormons because of the way a publicly traded corporation handled your 7 night travel package haha

I didn't condemn the Mormons; I condemned Marriott's religious hypocrisy.

If you have read anything about Marriott's religious posturing in the past, you would know that they have had to reconcile their religious issues with the LGBT community. https://qz.com/216328/how-marriots-o...travel-market/

You would have also seen that one of Marriott's priorities this past week during the merger with SPG was getting the Book of Mormon in 300K+ SPG rooms instead of concentrating on a smooth merger. https://www.thespectrum.com/story/ne...on/1104206002/

Obviously, Marriott is very serious about religion even if it is publicly traded. You may also want to check out all their "Golden Rule" propaganda - Marriott | Golden Rule

So, commenting on the religious hypocrisy of Marriott as a corporation is not that far of a stretch, which has also been done by prominent travel bloggers.
dhacker, Happy and imverge like this.

Last edited by LDoc; Aug 26, 2018 at 8:36 pm
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Several have succeeded.

Read just a few posts above yours - I gave enough information and even provide the link of Post 6367 from a poster successfully did it. It is a detailed report on how to do it. Of course it takes many calls and many hours wasted to get it done because it all depends on finding an agent willing to help.
If your goal is to upgrade 1 category from say, NC5 to NC6 and you hold an OC8, it may make sense to wait and see how things shake out after 9/18 before downgrading OC8 to OC7 and getting the 30K refund. My feeling is that if you are in one of the "compromised" old categories and get that 30K refund 1 category downgrade you will be locked out of doing something like a 1 category upgrade at old TP chart rates (TBD if Marriott allows it) or at some other rate.

Ultimately, you may find yourself locked out of future 1 category upgrade concessions that I think Marriott will have to make with travel package holders affected by the 8/18 deadline and new category map.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I didn't condemn the Mormons; I condemned Marriott's religious hypocrisy.

If you have read anything about Marriott's religious posturing in the past, you would know that they have had to reconcile their religious issues with the LGBT community. https://qz.com/216328/how-marriots-o...travel-market/

You would have also seen that one of Marriott's priorities this past week during the merger with SPG was getting the Book of Mormon in 300K+ SPG rooms instead of concentrating on a smooth merger. https://www.thespectrum.com/story/ne...on/1104206002/

Obviously, Marriott is very serious about religion even if it is publicly traded. You may also want to check out all their "Golden Rule" propaganda - Marriott Golden Rule

So, commenting on the religious hypocrisy of Marriott as a corporation is not that far of a stretch, which has also been done by prominent travel bloggers.
I would say:

You would have also seen that one of Marriott's priorities this past week during the merger with SPG was getting the Book of Mormon in 300K+ SPG rooms IN PARALLEL TO concentrating on a smooth merger. https://www.thespectrum.com/story/ne...on/1104206002/

Marriott being such a huge organisation they can definitely do both at once.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Several have succeeded.

Thanks. I had filled out a request at https://www.marriott.com/marriott/contact.mi (as described by https://onemileatatime.com/marriott-...kages-refunds/). I'll have to see if I can summon the strength to call...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.