Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When will Marriott inform their employees of the latest policy?

This is another post on the same canned answer the poster received -
UnhappyCamper says:
August 21, 2018 at 5:59 pm

I got the same email back similiar to a few posts above: Any certificates that were not attached to reservations prior to August 17, 2018 will not be honored. There will be no adjustment of points for the category changes, and you will need to book at the points rate for the new category. There will be a month long black out period ending mid September, where you will be unable to access your certificates. Once access to use them are restored, guests will have the ability to book reservations through http://www.marriott.com”

I also called in August 15/16 and the CSR after reaching multiple supervisors advised me not to attach my certificate as the hotel that I had a reservation for is going down in the number of points so he said the safest thing is not to attach. So now I’m stuck with a Category 8 certificate (which I paid 40k points per night for) and my reservation shows I only needed 35k per night.
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................................
I dont know how anyone can still advocate for Marriott about giving them more time to do the right thing, blah blah blah.

Marriott has 2 + year to map its strategy on how to perform the final merger. It has almost 5 months to prefer the final merger. Now all we have is huge debacle with nobody at the front line knows what to do other than the previous company lines fed to them.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by Happy
I agree it would be really hard to make it happened again because had it not for the supervisor error on the reordering, you would be getting the NC5 instead of the NC6 with an additional 30K.

I was told my NC4 (at 75K value) would require 60K to become a NC5, being 135K - 75K = 60K.

If I understand the math correctly, Had the supervisor not made the mistake, you would get back 30K refund and a NC5. But now you are paying essentially 30K + 30K (the refund) to result to a NC6? Does this make sense, that the "upgrade" actually cost 60K in total, not just the additional 30K because the other 30K is coming out from the possible 30K refund had it be a NC5 (OC7) ?

I wonder how much is the cost for a Partial NC6?
Assuming the customer wanted to upgrade, this transaction would have been attractive vs. current options. The poster ended up in the same position as someone who had purchased a Cat 9 under the legacy program. Old Cat 8 + 30K = Old Cat 7 + 60K = Old Cat 9 = New Cat 6.

Based on the way the new travel packages are priced, the difference in peak prices is the difference in cost. To go from a 40K/night Peak Cat 5 to a 60K/night Peak Cat 6 would cost an additional 120K.

My guess is it will end up costing 60K to go from a 30K/night Peak Cat 4 to a 40K/night Peak Cat 5 if upgrades are allowed.

Even if different supervisors weren't giving different answers about the current policy, the answer might change between the time I started writing this post and the time the next person comments on travel package upgrades.

Last edited by rny321; Aug 21, 2018 at 5:25 pm
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:10 pm

This is what I just tried (My goal is to cancel my legacy cert)

- Called into 866-576-5696 (Marriott Platinum line)
- Told the system twice "Something else". Waited 10 mins and got an agent. I'd rate this agent much better than other agents if you call the general Marriott Reward/Reservation line.
- Told her that I wanted to cancel my legacy Cat 8 TP cert. She wasn't sure if it's possible so put me on hold.
- She came back that there was an email sent before the merger to customers, advising that we should attach the 7N cert before Aug 18, or otherwise will be frozen for one month.
- I told her to check the latest updates on https://insiders.marriottrewards.com...exclusive-news, and look for "Travel Packages Update" posted yesterday. Apparently she has no idea at all about this site, and any news released by their social media rep.
- She put me on hold for longer, but came back to me that the support team need to verify if the URL is legit or not..... She also opened up a case and said someone will reach out to me in 3-5 days.

She also mentioned these things during our conversation:
- All the agent were specifically told to NOT touch these TP cert after the merger, because they weren't sure what will happen if you de-attach, or upgrade/downgrade. The points or certs might get lost if they do this.
- She also mentioned her computer got audited when browsing https://insiders.marriottrewards.com...exclusive-news, so she asked me to spell the URL again when creating the case.

Again, Marriott is truly experiencing communication disaster, especially within the reward department.
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tonywush
This is what I just tried (My goal is to cancel my legacy cert)

- Called into 866-576-5696 (Marriott Platinum line)
- Told the system twice "Something else". Waited 10 mins and got an agent. I'd rate this agent much better than other agents if you call the general Marriott Reward/Reservation line.
- Told her that I wanted to cancel my legacy Cat 8 TP cert. She wasn't sure if it's possible so put me on hold.
- She came back that there was an email sent before the merger to customers, advising that we should attach the 7N cert before Aug 18, or otherwise will be frozen for one month.
- I told her to check the latest updates on https://insiders.marriottrewards.com...exclusive-news, and look for "Travel Packages Update" posted yesterday. Apparently she has no idea at all about this site, and any news released by their social media rep.
- She put me on hold for longer, but came back to me that the support team need to verify if the URL is legit or not..... She also opened up a case and said someone will reach out to me in 3-5 days.

She also mentioned these things during our conversation:
- All the agent were specifically told to NOT touch these TP cert after the merger, because they weren't sure what will happen if you de-attach, or upgrade/downgrade. The points or certs might get lost if they do this.
- She also mentioned her computer got audited when browsing https://insiders.marriottrewards.com...exclusive-news, so she asked me to spell the URL again when creating the case.

Again, Marriott is truly experiencing communication disaster, especially within the reward department.
WOW.
So it is apparent that what Marriott Insider's post and the communication to the bloggers, is just Smoke and Mirror to put out fires temporary.
In all reality and all practicality, the people who actually perform the job is kept in total darkness with the latest "company lines" the corporate wants us to believe.

I wonder how much future revenues would be lost from this stupidity to try to save the cost on the unexpectedly high number of TP redeemed.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It begins and ends with Marriott. If Marriott would have publicly released the certificate mapping details in advance of August 18th and not hosed its customers with the anti-customer travel package changes it put in place, this boondoggle wouldn’t be what it is. There are ways for Marriott to end this mess and make customers whole, but Marriott’s eyes seem to be more on fleecing the program customers more than on treating customers as valued customers who deserve to be treated with respect as customers.

I totally agree on the boondoggle. Marriott should have just cancelled all the unttached certificates and converted them to points. Then they could book whatever they wanted with their 45K + 30K per category upgrade and everyone would be whole. I don't see giving you back exactly what you had in worth, is fleecing anyone.

Perhaps this is what Marriott should do if it starts and ends with Marriott! No? Be careful what you ask for.

45K + 30K per category upgrade is all that your old package is worth in points if you didn't utilize it's value in the old program. Anything more is a bonus.

I will just add that I have lost a lot of sleep over this boondoggle! It all has been so incredibly entertaining that I just can't put it down.

James
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
I received it though a roundabout route of multiple errors on the part of Marriott. It may be very difficult to get this to happen otherwise.

First, original legacy cert mistakenly lost when uninformed agent cancelled the reservation it was attached to and did not (could not) put the cert back into my account. Instead I ended up with a cancelled cert and a refund of 135k points for the OC8 cert.

Second, supervisor mistakenly reissued in the wrong new category 6 which is one higher than it should have been and the system charged me 30k extra points for the new cat 6 (on top of the 135k points from the cancellation of the original OC8 cert) with the end result being I have an upgrade from an OC8 to an OC9 (new cat 5 to a new cat 6) for 30k additional points which would be great if I could use it but since I will be booking a NC5 Starwood property I would prefer a NC5 plus 30k points refund.
Went through multiple agents and supervisors, and stonewalled. What is the partial package number for your new cat 6? The last sup I was speaking to said they didn't exist.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
Put simply

If there is justification for allowing Cat 6, 8 etc users to downgrade as a one-off and get points back there is NO difference in allowing them to upgrade and spend points. None, Zero Nil !!

However downgrade only creates 'breakage' - i.e. useless certs which cannot be used.

So the only justification for the current stance is, we (Marriott) would like to advantage ourselves and disadavantge our best customers.

Now I'm as big a realist as the next guy and I understand how the 'Real World' works - but I also understand that one is not allowed (in a corporate sense) to say so - no-one from Marriott is ever going to come out and day 'we are taking your points and know that making a refund offering will only be utilised by a fraction of people so we are happy to offer this' but that is the reality of the analysis.

The pressure which needs to be applied is to seek ANY rationale whatsoever from Marriott as to why downgrades are fine but upgrades are out of the question? and to keep asking and banging that drum until someone at MPG realises that they cannot keep defending a nonsensical position and rolls back.
atojbk likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
When will Marriott inform their employees of the latest policy?

This is another post on the same canned answer the poster received -
UnhappyCamper says:
August 21, 2018 at 5:59 pm

I got the same email back similiar to a few posts above: Any certificates that were not attached to reservations prior to August 17, 2018 will not be honored. There will be no adjustment of points for the category changes, and you will need to book at the points rate for the new category. There will be a month long black out period ending mid September, where you will be unable to access your certificates. Once access to use them are restored, guests will have the ability to book reservations through http://www.marriott.com”

I also called in August 15/16 and the CSR after reaching multiple supervisors advised me not to attach my certificate as the hotel that I had a reservation for is going down in the number of points so he said the safest thing is not to attach. So now I’m stuck with a Category 8 certificate (which I paid 40k points per night for) and my reservation shows I only needed 35k per night.
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................................
I dont know how anyone can still advocate for Marriott about giving them more time to do the right thing, blah blah blah.

Marriott has 2 + year to map its strategy on how to perform the final merger. It has almost 5 months to prefer the final merger. Now all we have is huge debacle with nobody at the front line knows what to do other than the previous company lines fed to them.
This looks like a complete screw-up. In an effort to conceal its strategy from its customers prior to 8/18, Marriott kept its own CSRs in the dark (and many of them are still in the dark). That failure to properly inform and train its own agents will infuriate its customers and costly to Marriott in the long run. It's all due to its poor decision to be purposely opaque and disingenuous with its customers.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crimsona
Went through multiple agents and supervisors, and stonewalled. What is the partial package number for your new cat 6? The last sup I was speaking to said they didn't exist.
Are you seeking a Partial NC6?

My Partial OC6 to Partial NC1-4 was smoothly done on Sunday by a supervisor.

Partial OC6 was P870, Partial NC1-4 that has 75K is QP80, if that helps. I dont know if the Partial NC1-4 from OC5 has the same code or not, but the supervisor mentioned a few times that "I am putting back 75K in for the new cert."
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:40 pm

No, I'm looking for the partial new 4, as that's what my old 5 is eligible for.

Just wondering if there was a pattern to the coding. Might try again tomorrow, got tired of the stonewalling today. The worst part is I was already speaking to someone who self identified as a supervisor yet still got nowhere
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just wondering if there was a pattern to the coding. Might try again tomorrow, got tired of the stonewalling today. The worst part is I was already speaking to someone who self identified as a supervisor yet still got nowhere
In this case you should give the QP80 which is the Partial NC 1-4 but from OC6. and see what they say,
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by rny321
Assuming the customer wanted to upgrade, this transaction would have been attractive vs. current options. The poster ended up in the same position as someone who had purchased a Cat 9 under the legacy program. Old Cat 8 + 30K = Old Cat 7 + 60K = Old Cat 9 = New Cat 6.

Based on the way the new travel packages are priced, the difference in peak prices is the difference in cost. To go from a 40K/night Peak Cat 5 to a 60K/night Peak Cat 6 would cost an additional 120K.

My guess is it will end up costing 60K to go from a 30K/night Peak Cat 4 to a 40K/night Peak Cat 5 if upgrades are allowed.

Even if different supervisors weren't giving different answers about the current policy, the answer might change between the time I started writing this post and the time the next person comments on travel package upgrades.
That makes sense b/c the new travel package chart is 60k difference between 1-4 and 5 and 120k difference between 5 and 6
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Soccerjoshj07
Interesting analysis. I would love to know what the point average is for the OC9 hotels and what the re-mapped to - not sure if it is relevant to the discussion at all It would maybe help signify the difference between the old average (42,400) vs the new average and what you could/should have gotten. E.g. I'm sure Elounda brought that average way up.
Marriott Only hotel basis adjusted values:
OC5 25k -> 22.2k
OC6 30k -> 27k
OC7 35k -> 33.4k
OC8 40k -> 39.7k
OC9 45k -> 52.2k
T3 50k -> 51.8k
T5 70k -> 79k

NC4 30k -> 25k
NC5 35.8k -> 35k
NC6 42.4k -> 50k
NC7 51.9k -> 60k
NC8 67.7k -> 85k

I think the theme there is standard hotels became cheaper and aspirational hotels became more expensive.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
EDIT: My apologies crimsona, I misread your comment. Apparently I didn't have it correct.

I just want to make sure I have this correct. You believe your Old Cat 5 certificate should eligible for a New Category 5? Yes?

If an old Category 8 @ 40K per night is now a new Category 5 @ 35K per night how do you account for your Old Cat 1-5 with value of 150K @ 25K per night being sufficient for that redemption?

An unattached certificate was a gamble. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Luckily everyone got more value than a cancelled certificate for points. You got your Cake, but now want to eat it too.

Would you be happy if everything mapped to a New Cat 7 and then when all the available rooms were booked you had a certificate that could not be used?

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Aug 21, 2018 at 9:40 pm
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I just want to make sure I have this correct. You believe your Old Cat 5 certificate should eligible for a New Category 5? Yes?

If an old Category 8 @ 40K per night is now a new Category 5 @ 35K per night how do you account for your Old Cat 1-5 with value of 150K @ 25K per night being sufficient for that redemption?

An unattached certificate was a gamble. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Luckily everyone got more value than a cancelled certificate for points. You got your Cake, but now want to eat it too.

Would you be happy if everything mapped to a New Cat 7 and then when all the available rooms were booked you had a certificate that could not be used?

James
James,

Can you read before you jump on others?

See the bolded part that I changed the color in Red so it should be easier for you to Read...

And you have it ALL WRONG then you go on to give totally irrelevant nonsense.

The poster you replied to with this nonsense, said he was looking for a new Partial Cat 1-4 and that is what his old Cat 5 is eligible for.

So what is wrong with him that you are balking at? or rather, what is wrong with YOU who never has contributed any useful posts on this thread other than jumping on others, often wrongly, like in this reply?

Next time before you post to criticize others, please read others posts and understand the contents first.
jrm68, tonywush and rny321 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.