Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:29 pm

https://onemileatatime.com/marriott-...kages-refunds/
mudd_stuffin likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by SightseeMC
Yes, the Cat 1-5 was the only guaranteed "no lose" proposition pre-8/18. In fact, the 2 TPs I bought were Cat 1-5; I didn't want to gamble on what Marriott would consider "fair" or "equivalent." Truly ultra-conservative choice that provided exactly what was expected.
Picking a Cat 1-5 hotel package when plans are uncertain is a now outdated strategy on the Wiki. As long as upgrades and extensions were allowed, there was no reason not to continue booking the lowest category and make changes when ready. That approach would no longer make sense if what you owned on 8/18 became what you end up with after an unknown remapping. Several of us pushed the Lurker for details of the remapping strategy so that we could make one final adjustment to our holdings. Unfortunately, many picked packages that didn't match their needs and cost more than necessary.

Last edited by rny321; Aug 20, 2018 at 1:47 pm
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by brokenwindow
AND redeemable from today!
People who have floating certificates, do you see the New Converted Certificates in your accounts now or does it show the old certificates ?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
People who have floating certificates, do you see the New Converted Certificates in your accounts now or does it show the old certificates ?
Old.
EDIflyer and MasterGeek like this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:39 pm

No budging on upgrades, I see.
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:39 pm

Bizarre that this is being announced through a Travel Blog post, but yes -- this is excellent news. Marriott doing the right thing (eventually).
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by mk712
Here's why I think people are overreacting when they complain that they can't book the property they had in mind: if you had sat down and made the math on a piece of paper, taking into account what was known at the time, you would've made the right decision regarding which certificate to get. This is not hindsight, this is just math.

Don't get me wrong, there are many things Marriott could've done better in this whole ordeal, and some of the criticism is justified. But if you're complaining that the property you were eyeing can't be booked with your certificate anymore, that's on you, not on Marriott, because the official information known at the time was enough to make the correct decision.
I had done that math, but I think it is unreasonable to expect everyone to do that math, especially when an official announcement would have eliminated the issue altogether. Doing the math wasn't a slam dunk either as they could have done something entirely different. It's not like they didn't know there was a potential issue, because they were getting pinged by the bloggers/lurkers and backfed the same boilerplate statements to those people. Surely people expecting windfalls wasn't reasonable either, but I don't see how the finger can point to anyone but Marriott as they held all the cards and arrogantly refused to answer the question.

I'm just hoping there was an internal disconnect between rewards/marketing/merger team, but that is likely wishful thinking.

We still don't have an official communication from Marriott to it's members (website or email) on what will happen. The only thing *most* of us received was the generic email about the floater certs, which if it had been more specific, would have been infinitely more helpful and rendered this discussion mute.

I'm sure we'll agree to disagree on this, but I think it is a reach to expect members to put all of this together (as you can see from some of the questions we get here, from the more engaged members).
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by meehgz
Old.
Someone please cancel their reservation that has a certificate attached and tell me what kind of certificate they get back.

Last edited by MasterGeek; Aug 20, 2018 at 1:59 pm
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I would argue with that. They were encoraged to attach their cetificates for maximum value. Everyone had the "ability" to attach their certificate to a reservation, up to the final hour. That program is now defunct and consequently the "value" of the certificate is moot but the 45K + 30K per category upgrade "worth" might (I say that loosely, but would establish good faith) have some bite. I still maintain a plaintiff would not be successful when it was evidenced he neglected to maximize the value of his certificate before his ability to do so expired, in hopes he would get a better outcome in "value" in the new combined program. The incentive to "gamble" was fueled by an anticipation of huge windfall.

Opting not to "attach" a certificate is a "gamble" and when the house can, and did, change the T&Cs at any time, with or without notice, it is not a gamble I was willing to take.

Since Marriott was "generous" in allowing unattached certificates to be added to reservations post Merger, bound by new T&Cs, after the dormancy, the legality of an outright cancellation with or without a return of the certificate "worth" is moot.

James
Eh? I've received an email from Marriott saying I had redeemed a TP - not one single email since. They never told me to attach it - indeed the phone reps said it would be worth the same category number in the new scheme (which I wasn't expecting to be the case). I wasn't looking for a windfall, just fair treatment. I now can't upgrade, downgrade or cancel the cert and am unable to redeem for the next month, losing 1/12th of the validity.
imverge and MasterGeek like this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by gregorygrady
FWIW, I don't think it's a bad idea at all for people who got stiffed (Cat 6 and Cat 8 TP holders) to file complaints with the appropriate consumer protection agencies (Attorney General's Office, BBB, etc, although I don't think filing with CFPB is really relevent here as somebody mentioned above). I will give them 4 days, and if they haven't at the VERY least offered Cat 6 & 8 TP holders 30k refunds, I will certainly file some complaints on Friday. The more complaints they get, the more likely they are to fix this mess they created.
Yes.

And consider other venues beside the US, if applicable. There are non-US jurisdictions where Marriott’s actions in this regard may be covered by laws and regulations applicable to travel agents, tour package providers and the like; that could provide consumers some relief from Marriott’s anti-customer handling of the travel packages.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by jw461
Why is Tier 4-5 a loser? Seems like by virtue of none of the other properties getting Cat 7 properties and having the ability to book Cat 8 until the end of the year, Tier 4-5 is the clear winner.

Of course this is TP vs TP, not including the pure points bookings that will eliminate all availability on desirable SPG properties.
I bought 2 tier 4-5 before Aug and attached it to Ritz Kyoto for end of March super peak cherry blossom say for a week each room. Now that Ritz Kyoto can be booked at 60000pt per night (instead of 70000) so I feel at loss a bit..not entirely because the last 5 days of our stay is showing SOLD OUT even for paying rooms not just reward rooms.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by zozeppelin
Hotel category changes were announced, but certificate changes were not. The net impact could come from any combination of cert cat changes and/or hotel changes, but it needed to be announced in advance and give people time to act according.
Hotel category changes were announced only if you followed the blogs or forums. There was not direct email communication from Marriott (contrary to what is usually the case for the annual changes) regarding the category changes.

I even called Marriott Rewards customer service several times on August 17th to ask about what will happen to the certificates and the agents were adamant my Cat 8 certificate will stay a Cat 8 certificate. They were unaware of the new category or reward pricing changes.

Me: Do you know what will happen to my category 8 certificate ? Which category will it become after the transition ?
Agent: umm.. They should be the same category. You have it for category 8 it will stay like that.
Me: So you're saying that my Category 8 will remain a Cat 8 after the transition ?
Agent: Yes
Me: Are you sure ? So Domes of Elounda is currently Cat 9 at 45K points per night and will become Cat 8 after the transition and cost 85K per night and my certificate will be valid for it ?
Agent: Um..ohh...umm. We don't have information about the new points pricing.
Me: But it's alrady been announced at http://points-redemption.marriott.com
Agent: We didn't receive such information. If there is any change it will be communicated to members in the next few days.
In the end, I wasn't confident in the agent's response and downgraded my Old Cat 8 certs to old Cat 7

Last edited by MasterGeek; Aug 20, 2018 at 2:02 pm
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by mk712
Here's why I think people are overreacting when they complain that they can't book the property they had in mind: if you had sat down and made the math on a piece of paper, taking into account what was known at the time, you would've made the right decision regarding which certificate to get. This is not hindsight, this is just math.

Basically here was the required train of thoughts:
1. How much will the property cost after the merger? This had been announced weeks ago for each property on this page: https://points-redemption.marriott.com/category-change
2. Based on this rate, what is the next category up in the old award chart? In other words, what category in the old award chart would be enough to cover that rate? (you didn't even have to worry about on peak / off peak rates, just the standard rate)

People who followed this very simple and logical thought process picked the right certificate in 100% of cases (by right certificate, I mean that whatever category they went with for their package can still be used today to book the property they were after).
Ermm - that's precisely what it did and I had no luck! I went to the website you list and found it would become cat 5 (new). I therefore booked cat 6 (old). Marriott have now downgraded my cert to cat 4 (new) so I'm unable to book it.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Hotel category changes were announced only if you followed the blogs or forums. There was not direct email communication from Marriott (contrary to what is usually the case for the annual changes) regarding the category changes.
They had the hotel category updates on their website for quite some time (https://points-redemption.marriott.com/category-change). And this was communicated (to me at least) in an email on 6/25. Maybe we have different email preferences selected or you think it should have been more explicit and not required clicking on links. I think they did a good job there, especially with the sortable comparison web page.
mk712 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by brokenwindow
Marriott does the right thing! Way to go. Refunds of 30k, AND redeemable from today!

"Members who booked a Category 6, Category 8, or Tier 1-3 Travel Package can receive a one-time exchange for a package one category lower.

The reason this is being done for these categories is because in all cases you’d get the same value if you had booked a hotel that’s one category lower, so as a gesture of goodwill Marriott will refund 30,000 points per certificate for those who request it.

This one-time exchange can be requested by contacting Marriott at this link, and selecting the “packages – deals” topic.

You actually have until these certificates expire in order to exchange them, and once you do, the certificates will once again be valid for a year, so you can potentially make that work in your favor."

source; https://onemileatatime.com/marriott-...kages-refunds/
Thanks for highlighting this - weird the way they keep announcing all this stuff unofficially - it does make one wonder if they're floating ideas on here to see how things go. (Clue: badly!). Being able to delay until later in the year to cancel and receiving back 45k + 30k for relevant cats is at least a decent step in the right direction. Will mean I've paid 0.85p/UA mile which isn't too bad (although I value them at 0.75p, so about Ł135 overpaid).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.