Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kapooncha
Advice. So I bought some points with Starwood when they were offering the 35% deal. Used those points to purchase a Tier 1-3 package and feel completely screwed (at the very least I'm owed 30k points). Should I do a chargeback on my card?
Knock yourself out - if you want your account closed.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by COMike78
Out of curiosity - has anyone with a floating certificate actually received an email from Marriott detailing the new policy, or are we once again left to find out official Marriott policy on blogs and forums?
Nothing here - I had the original email confirmation when I redeemed and nothing at all since then, not even the one some members seemed to get a few weeks ago re unattached packages (which was irrelevant to me anyway as I wanted to use it for an SPG property).
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FrustratedinCA
For awhile now, I've wondered if MR uses these forums and the insiders forum as their litmus test to see how the general public will respond to a policy before releasing it in their official statements. It seems like several new policies that might be seen as unfavorable have been mentioned on these boards first, and when they get too much blowback, Marriott changes course slightly before announcing it through more official channels.

That might explain why the Lurkers have released so much conflicting information and/or information that hasn't come to pass throughout this merge. It would also explain why we keep getting our information here and/or through travel bloggers rather than Marriott.
No question in my mind that Marriott has been using test balloon tactics and closely monitor certain blogs on their outrageously fanning the fire to game for maximum windfall (Frequent Miler site came to mind) and decided to give the "Worst Case Scenario" as a big slap on the face to show who is the boss. The House always wins is exactly what happens.
cruisr likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: Marriott
Given all the complaints, it seems like the simplest way for Marriott to eliminate people's complaints with this issue would be to allow those with Cat 6, Cat 8, or Tier 1-3 a one-time goodwill opportunity to downgrade for a 30k refund or upgrade their cert for 30k to one that maps to Cat 6 (which they likely would have done prior to the transition had they been given that information) so that they can be kept whole.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:03 pm

If a 30k point refund is unpalatable or difficult to administer, maybe Marriott could credit Cat 6/Cat 8/Tier 1-3 certificate holders with an extra certificate worth 30k of credit towards another hotel stay?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Unlike old Cat 6, Cat 8 and Tier 4-5 certificate holders, holders of Tier 1-3 awards didn't come out worse in the conversion. Since the per night value of a Tier 1-3 was 50K and the new Cat 6 this year is also 50K, nobody was hurt during the conversion. If there had been no Cat 9, Cat 1-3 holders might have been content with a new Cat 6. I am not disputing that everyone would have preferred to have gotten the same benefits for 30K less, but that isn't the same as having something taken away. While it would be great to have the option to upgrade an old Cat 8 to a Cat 9 for 30K, I believe the more realistic hope is for the chance to upgrade to a Tier 1-3 for 60K.

Last edited by rny321; Aug 19, 2018 at 3:57 pm
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by rny321
Unlike old Cat 6, Cat 8 and Tier 4-5 certificate holders, holders of Tier 1-3 awards didn't come out worse in the conversion. Since the per night value of a Tier 1-3 was 50K and the new Cat 6 this year is also the same, nobody was hurt.If there had been no Cat 9, Cat 1-3 holders might have been happy getting a new Cat 6. I am not disputing that everyone would have preferred to have gotten the same benefits for 30K less, but that isn't the same as having something taken away.
The issue for tier 1-3 is now with a Cat 6 you can only book 83% of the marriott hotels that you could have previously booked and you had no way of knowing you were going to lose access to the 17%(all of the best tier 1-3 properties) because Marriott decided it best to withhold this information. I think at least for tier 1-3 this would have been a fair convention if we had been informed and then we could have decided to book now or wait knowing what we were going to lose access to .

Last edited by zach46290; Aug 19, 2018 at 4:04 pm
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by zach46290
The issue for tier 1-3 is not with a Cat 6 you can only book 83% of the marriott hotels that you could have previously booked and you had no way of knowing you were going to lose access to the 17%(all of the best tier 1-3 properties) because Marriott decided it best to withhold this information. I think at least for tier 1-3 this would have been a fair convention if we had been informed and then we could have decided to book now or wait knowing what we were going to lose access to .
No question that MPG should have provided information directly to customers about the impending changes while there was time to make adjustments. I believe the company should allow adjustments to the legacy packages while we are still in the dead period where certificates can't be utilized. If the reason for the lack of notice was to prevent a mass migration to the Cat 9 certificates, perhaps that category doesn't need to be available again.

Last edited by rny321; Aug 19, 2018 at 4:10 pm
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EDIflyer
Nothing here - I had the original email confirmation when I redeemed and nothing at all since then, not even the one some members seemed to get a few weeks ago re unattached packages (which was irrelevant to me anyway as I wanted to use it for an SPG property).
Where in the old MR program did it say you could attach your certificate to a former SPG property after migration? You bought a pre-merger TP. A month ago cancellation of unattached certificates was a real possibility. The debate then was "worth" & "value" of the certificate. Clearly, the Cat 1-5 certificate was not "worth" it's 150K "value." in the old or new MR.

Recently everyone was advised that they would be able to apply their unattached certificates post merger and that the new chart would prevail.

By not attaching to a Marriott property, which would have afforded maximum value, and maybe better flexibily, you are still getting better value than the 45K residual "worth" you would have gotten if it had been cancelled.

I purchased a Category 8 TP and attached it to Category 8 property which is now a Category 5. Would I have preferred to book at former SPG property? Yes, I would have. But it wasn't possible to at the time. I locked in a tangible $2100 USD savings for 135K Marriott Points. I wasn't going to risk that for an uncertain outcome. Having attached my certificate, I will be able to, upon request, get 30K points refunded, without a cancel/rebook, as my 40K per night reservation now only requires 35K per night. That 30K refund will provide a night in a Cat 4 with 5K MR extra or a night in a Cat 5 with an additional 5K MR. That is a nice little value added bonus.

It never added up that an old 30K per night certificate should have converted to a 35K per night new certificate.

Most of the value of the former TP was in the FF Miles. No complaints there that I have read. If you didn't have a real need for a hotel certificate under the old program then perhaps speculatively leaving a certificate unattached in anticipation it would offer better value post merger was not a good approach. Now 300K will give you 125K FF Miles. Anything extra with a certificate for a stay is a bonus.

Everyone should be happy they still have a certificate with value! Much better than 45K residual "worth" in your account and a cancelled certificate.

James
JustinTJ likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Having attached my certificate, I will be able to, upon request, get 30K points refunded as my 40K per night certificate now only requires 35K per night. That 30K refund will provide a night in a Cat 4 with 5K extra or a night in a Cat 5 with an additional 5K. That is a nice little value added bonus.

James
Where are you getting this from, Marriott made it clear that you can't upgrade or downgrade certificates anymore, so why would you be entitled to a refund because you used a 40K cert on a room that now costs 35K?

Back to the do you work for marriott questions?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:26 pm

I purchased a Category 8 TP and attached it to Category 8 property which is now a Category 5. Would I have preferred to book at former SPG property? Yes, I would have. But it wasn't possible to at the time. I locked in a tangible $2100 USD savings for 135K Marriott Points. I wasn't going to risk that for an uncertain outcome. Having attached my certificate, I will be able to, upon request, get 30K points refunded, without a cancel/rebook, as my 40K per night reservation now only requires 35K per night. That 30K refund will provide a night in a Cat 4 with 5K MR extra or a night in a Cat 5 with an additional 5K MR. That is a nice little value added bonus.

James
Using a Cat 5 certificate with a maximum value of 40K per night on a stay that would only cost you 35K is not going to get you a refund. You could detach the Cat 5 certificate and use 35K per night in points to pay for the stay which would leave you with 210K less points and one Cat 5 certificate.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:28 pm

It never added up that an old 30K per night certificate should have converted to a 35K per night new certificate.

James
It also doesn't add up that a 30K/night certificate on Friday became a 25K/night certificate on Saturday. And the people selling the certificate knew when they were selling it that they were going to renege on what they were selling.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:48 pm

It's pretty simple what Marriott needs to do: refund those categories that map down 30k MR points and no one has anything much to complain about.

Either way, given the increase in TP pricing and 50% cut in AMEX MR to Marriott Reward point transfer rate (In Australia at least), there's very little chance I EVER redeem a Travel Package let alone a Marriott award stay again....which means my loyalty to SPG/Marriott is over.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Where in the old MR program did it say you could attach your certificate to a former SPG property after migration? You bought a pre-merger TP. A month ago cancellation of unattached certificates was a real possibility. The debate then was "worth" & "value" of the certificate. Clearly, the Cat 1-5 certificate was not "worth" it's 150K "value." in the old or new MR.

Recently everyone was advised that they would be able to apply their unattached certificates post merger and that the new chart would prevail.

By not attaching to a Marriott property, which would have afforded maximum value, and maybe better flexibily, you are still getting better value than the 45K residual "worth" you would have gotten if it had been cancelled.

Most of the value of the former TP was in the FF Miles. No complaints there that I have read. If you didn't have a real need for a hotel certificate under the old program then perhaps speculatively leaving a certificate unattached in anticipation it would offer better value post merger was not a good approach. Now 300K will give you 125K FF Miles. Anything extra with a certificate for a stay is a bonus.

Everyone should be happy they still have a certificate with value! Much better than 45K residual "worth" in your account and a cancelled certificate.

James
I received no communication from Marriott regarding my unattached cert. They said the programme was merging into one common programme, it was perfectly reasonable to expect the cert to be valid thereafter. Previously I had the option of cancelling it, upgrading or downgrading. Now I have none of those options and the validity has been reduced by a month due to a hiatus they have introduced. Marriott properties had a small footprint where I wanted to use it and with no availability, of course part of the reason why they merged with Starwood, to increase their number of properties. Call centre reps were advising like for like after 18/8 and that downgrades and upgrades would be possible. They've migrated my cat 6 cert to the same as if I'd bought a cat 1-5. There are multiple issues with how this has been handled but I'm glad you're happy and have done well out of things.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by zach46290
Where are you getting this from, Marriott made it clear that you can't upgrade or downgrade certificates anymore, so why would you be entitled to a refund because you used a 40K cert on a room that now costs 35K?

Back to the do you work for marriott questions?
I'm not sure what his deal is, but he's been a consistent source of bad information and confusion for a long time on this long thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.