Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: whatever it takes
Originally Posted by COMike78
Out of curiosity - has anyone with a floating certificate actually received an email from Marriott detailing the new policy, or are we once again left to find out official Marriott policy on blogs and forums?
not here....will be interesting to see how this plays out... recently upgraded to Cat 6....so disturbed...but not that much. See how it plays out.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by johnstein
There is no why. Marriott is just sending a strong message to gamers.
I think they would not budge. As always, stockholders' interests are their main concern.
Rewards members who chose to order travel packages under the old rules can hardly be called "gamers." It's perfectly reasonable for members of any loyalty program to be smart about how they use their hard-earned points.

Yes, there were a few folks on this forum who thought they had a scheme to get a windfall, and are now disappointed. But I think most of us just wanted to order a travel package using the old chart, with a reasonable expectation that hotel certificates would keep their point value, be upgradable, and be extendable — because Marriott gave us no reason to expect anything more or less.

As a longtime shareholder of Marriott International, I have no interest in seeing the company alienate good customers — customers who are so good that they regularly order travel packages with their points.
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:00 pm

Just noticed this on the Marriott site for the new TP's:

Wonder if they'll honor it.
tonywush likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by COMike78
Out of curiosity - has anyone with a floating certificate actually received an email from Marriott detailing the new policy, or are we once again left to find out official Marriott policy on blogs and forums?
Have you logged in & check to see what they are now?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
So, if I am reading your post correctly. You expected to book a 35K property with a 30K certificate. Brilliant!

James
How about taking it down a notch, let people vent, and not engage them in a condescending manner? Posts like this add no value and only incite more throwup posts.

He said wanted, not expected. He could have written the same about a Cat9 and it would have been both true and brilliant booking a 50k property with a 45k certificate.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader

this could certainly be looked at the opposite way, that they announced the new pricing in order to drive up the sale of the old packages, which they knew were going to be devalued, making Marriott more culpable.
I don’t think this is how corporations operate. They would rather people pay the new, higher price. If they just wanted to increase overall TP sales in general, they would have left them the same as with the new SPG hotels and members coming into the mix there would have been more demand for them naturally.

Originally Posted by esdot
The devaluation of hotel certificates and mile transfers are separate. Comparing the old to new packages, inclusive of the air miles, confuses the values of old and new hotel certs. Separating the also devalued mileage component is easy based on the new travel package pricing.

The old travel package system (exempting 5N packages) generally converted points to miles at a 1:1 ratio and added the cost of a seven-night stay at respective categories (after considering the fifth night free).* The new travel packages follow the same logic but convert points to miles at a 1.5:1 ratio and use the cost of peak pricing for each category. In math: [Peak Nightly Cost for Cat x 6 nights] + [1.5 x No. of Miles] = Cost of Travel Package
I disagree. If not for the miles portion, there would be no reason to purchase a 7-night certificate. And the miles portion being devalued is pretty much the entire reason so many were scrambling to buy TP’s at the old rates.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
So, if I am reading your post correctly. You expected to book a 35K property with a 30K certificate. Brilliant!

James
I expected that having upgraded from a cat 1-5 to a cat 6 I would not have wasted that upgrade for nothing. Seem pretty logical, the other way is that marriott expected that people who paid an additional 30K for something worth up to 30K points a night should now only be allowed to book something worth up to 25K and just wasted that 30K upgrade for nothing, Brilliant way to piss off your customers.

Do you work for marriott?

Last edited by zach46290; Aug 19, 2018 at 12:36 pm
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by zach46290
I expected that having upgraded from a cat 1-5 to a cat 6 I would not have wasted that upgrade for nothing. Seem pretty logical, the other way is that marriott expected that people who paid an additional 30K for something worth up to 30K points a night should now only be allowed to book something worth up to 25K and just wansted that 30K upgrade for nothing, Brilliant way to piss off your customers.

Do you work for marriott?
I think he does. He sides with Marriott in all his posts in this thread.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:39 pm

Anyone know if a date change of a reservation with TP attached requires a rebooking? The hotel went from old CAT 8 to new CAT 6.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yoyo
Anyone know if a date change of a reservation with TP attached requires a rebooking? The hotel went from old CAT 8 to new CAT 6.
You'll have to call in and have them move the dates.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:50 pm

People need to raise as much stink, as soon as possible, so Marriott can easily see what they need to do. To me, the crux of the issue is that the phone reps (including managers) were confidentally telling people to book these packages and use them as they saw fit after the merger. I was told that a cat 6 would be worth at least a cat 5, and was absolutely guaranteed time after time that they could be modified after the merger just like today so it really didn’t matter what I booked. These were bought under that information. I’m sorry, but vague tidbits of info released through internet forums a few days before the merger do not supersede this information.

Marriott made 4 extremely dubious moves with the handling of this part of the merger:
1. Weirdly withholding info, while allowing their agents to freely sell these things under inaccurate terms
2. Taking away upgrades and downgrades, made worse by the next mistake
3. Mapping category 6 and 8 to a donwgraded category while subsequently NOT allowing changes. The fact that they have not announced at least a simple points refund blows my mind.
4. Instituting a strange one month blockout in the very likely hope that more people have trouble finding 7-night award space and have to settle for less nights or refund their cert for fractional value.

The solution for Marriott is outrageously simple. Automatically refund the overpays on cat 6/8, and allow upgrades and downgrades by at least a single category. They should also cut down the length of the absurd and arbitrary one-month blackout. Blaming IT is a blatant lie seeing how this was planned and not some sort of bug. If it really is an IT thing, why wouldn’t they just say they will get them up and running “as soon as possible”? It would be a strange conindence if this really takes exactly one month to program this simple change. They could also just instruct the reps on how to do the adjustments manually when they call in.

Now, to be fair, other than the 1-month lockout which was definitely applied to try to hurt travel package owners, it is possible that Marriott is unaware that they have done anything bad here. In the craziness of the merger they may simply have not realized what happened. It is up to us to change that perception by bombarding them with the facts (yes, facts) about how incredibly poorly and unfairly this has been handled.
GUWonder, EDIflyer and tonywush like this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Advice. So I bought some points with Starwood when they were offering the 35% deal. Used those points to purchase a Tier 1-3 package and feel completely screwed (at the very least I'm owed 30k points). Should I do a chargeback on my card?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by blackhat_3_6
Just noticed this on the Marriott site for the new TP's:

Wonder if they'll honor it.
Likely a glitch! UA gets a 10% bonus, so 110,000 UA Miles. Seen a few glitches on the mobile app too.

James.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by SC Alum
Original purchase only got 85K miles if you convert to most international airlines. I converted to SQ which I believe had better service & saver fare miles.
Unfortunately your choice of airline only gives you 85K (Package #2 ). If you had converted your 100K SPG/300K MR points directly you would have gotten (20K x 5 + 5K x 5 bonus) 125K miles. So your downgraded New Cat 1-4 cert cost you 40K miles - that converts to (20K + 5K bonus + 15K) 35K SPG/105K MR points.

For those taking Package #1 or RewardsPlus they got 120K or 132K miles which makes the "cost" of the 1-4 Cert neglible or "free".

I like SQ but I did not find the Travel Package worthwhile for myself. Nonetheless you can still get a 7-night stay with your New 1-4 cert and if you choose correctly it could be about the same value as the 35K SPG points you've "paid" so that you don't lose out.

But I hope Marriott offers you the chance to refund part or the whole package. That would be ideal.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:23 pm

This situation reminds me some of what happened with Radisson a few years ago. I know they're not as big in the US, but remember the issue they had with the free night certificates? And how they made it right? I also remember some time around that time, they also had a deval and a lot of hotel prices went up with little to no notice. And this happened when I had some specific redemptions in mind so I was really bummed. I wrote their social media team and en employee graciously offered to call me. She explained that she felt for me and others, and asked me not to post about it at the time, but said she would book me into the hotels I wanted at the lower rate by putting the difference in points in my account. She didn't have to do it and I wasn't even expecting that, but I was very thankful as I was able to stay where I wanted. Radisson/Club Carlson has always had tremendous customer service in my opinion. And I realize not everyone received the benefit that I did at the time, but my point is that I asked and they delivered. And I have asked Marriott now and I hope they deliver as well. I'm certainly willing to listen and give them the benefit of the doubt if they'd like to backtrack.

And to be clear, I'm not someone who bought lots of packages in hopes of getting insane value. I have one cat-6 that I purchased and I value my points and don't like the idea of having thrown them away for no reason with no ability to downgrade while someone with a cat 1-5 can book the same thing.
EDIflyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.