Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:48 am

What about the people that bought a cat6, 8 or tier 1-3 with the intention of using it for one of those hotels but did not have the dates finalized. How were they to know that the best hotels that they were able to book would go away. How can anyone here defend of justify Marriott doing this huge disservice to their member without announcing it before hand and giving people the opportunity to prepare.

This is nothing like a category change at the beginning of a new year. because then everyone is told what the changes will be and given time to book with the old rules before the changes took effect.

As some have pointed out 30K point refund does nothing, I bought a cat 6 package instead of a 1-5 because I wanted to use if for a future cat 5. Had I wanted to use it for a 1-4 I would simply have bought a 1-5. The 30K points does nothing for me as there are basically no cat 1-4 that i would ever want to spend a week at.

Marriott knew this, they knew they were going to kill the value of existing travel package yet they kept selling them, while keeping people in the dark about their true value even though they knew full well what was going to happen. I don't think there is much grounds for a class action as they are allowed to basically do what they want according to their T&C but this is simply unacceptable from a customer service standpoint.
catawba likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum; Marriott Titanium Elite; Hertz President's Circle
Out of curiosity - has anyone with a floating certificate actually received an email from Marriott detailing the new policy, or are we once again left to find out official Marriott policy on blogs and forums?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:14 am

I think if upgrade or downgrade is not possible anymore, at least it can be canceled with partial refund, i.e. Cat 1-5 7N gets 45k pts, Cat 6 7N gets 75k pts.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:18 am

I booked a Cat 6 travel package last week and am obviously not happy with the way things worked out, especially Marriott’s lack of transparency. Marriott was able to release info about the new mapping on the day of the merger, so it had obviously made a decision prior to that. The failure to provide this information to loyalty members is very consumer unfriendly and resulted in big losses for some certificate holders. To make matters worse, Marriott’s phone agents were providing a lot of misinformation. Mine assured me that Cat 6 would map to a new Cat 5 and that I would be able to upgrade/downgrade after the merger.

The only fair result here is for Marriott to make holders of Cat 6, 8 and Tier 1 certificates whole by allowing those individuals a one-time upgrade/downgrade based on old certificate prices. A downgrade would result in a 30k points refund and an upgrade to the next category would cost 30k points.

I plan to voice my displeasure on social media and directly with Marriott. I may also file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and/or the Federal Trade Commission. I encourage others to do the same.

I hope Marriott does the right thing here. If not, it’s a costly lesson learned for me. One thing is certain, though. If Marriott does not make this right, I will be booking future stays (at least 30 nights in 2019) with Hilton, Hyatt, and IHG rather than Marriott, and I will be canceling my SPG and Marriott credit cards.

Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Here's what I suspect happened. They had a number of conversion options on the table--that's part of why we got confusing signals including from Starwood Lurker about points conversion. In the last week, they decided to pull the trigger on the "screw the TP holders" option. That also triggered the "no upgrade, downgrade" requirement because if they are going to allow that they pretty much would have to give the old Cat 6 and Cat 8 holders 30K credit for an upgrade (or give them 30K points for a downgrade I suppose).
I believe the same. It is possible that Mr. Marriott's office was just not divulging when I talked to them about these travel packages 2 weeks ago, but I really believe they still had no idea which way they would go. I think they looked at the small number of customers that purchased them and figured it would not be a big problem - my guess is they would have been generous and lenient. But they were caught unprepared for the massive increase in recent purchases and started to realize that travel packages were going to be a larger problem than they had anticipated. There was even confusion within the office itself about the terms of these. I think in the end, they made a last-minute choice based on the large number of folks purchasing these and the fact that they had only prepared to be lenient with a few (as historically it has always been a small number).

Forgive me if I am missing this, but has this chart been published anywhere on the Marriott site, or only through the Starwood Lurker? If it is not on the Marriott site, I also would not be surprised if Marriott changes its mind on this and decides to be more gracious once it receives blow-back. Isn't that what happened with them giving Starwood lifetime plats Marriott LTPP status?

As I posted before, I still think that some of these will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
An interesting question is WHY. The logic went that Marriott would be generous so it was best kept secret to avoid a ‘run’. That is clearly not true. So what was the benefit of not telling people?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: Marriott
Originally Posted by pantanal
Yeah I can see it. ) Absolutely Drop Marriott based on this and change to who? You think other Marriott road warriors in the company who are not upset about the .0001% category 6 TP will not object to switching away from Marriott. Or all your husbands friends are also upset.
Yes, most of the road warrior colleagues that my husband's spoken with are also very upset (yes, several of them had TP as well), and when he called his corporate travel rep yesterday, she said she's been fielding numerous complaints about Marriott/SPG over this merge. Many employees are complaining about this TP issue, but they are also complaining about all the other problems that have come up over the merge (not the least of which are the points devaluation of the high end properties and the new lifetime status requirements--several of them were close to reaching lifetime status under and the new system are years away). There are a LOT of unhappy road warriors switching to other chains.
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
An interesting question is WHY. The logic went that Marriott would be generous so it was best kept secret to avoid a ‘run’. That is clearly not true. So what was the benefit of not telling people?
Raffles, BTW I don't see how you get to the position that the new certs can be used at the next category up off peak. Seems unequivocal to me the new certs are strictly category based.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:33 am

There is no why. Marriott is just sending a strong message to gamers.
I think they would not budge. As always, stockholders' interests are their main concern.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by jrey
I think if upgrade or downgrade is not possible anymore, at least it can be canceled with partial refund, i.e. Cat 1-5 7N gets 45k pts, Cat 6 7N gets 75k pts.
You're quoting the old certificate reduced rate. Now that these certs have been mapped to new certs, we don't know what the "reduced [cancellation] rate" will be.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by FrustratedinCA
You're quoting the old certificate reduced rate. Now that these certs have been mapped to new certs, we don't know what the "reduced [cancellation] rate" will be.
It will be the same rate, I guess.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by sinfonia
I believe the same. It is possible that Mr. Marriott's office was just not divulging when I talked to them about these travel packages 2 weeks ago, but I really believe they still had no idea which way they would go. I think they looked at the small number of customers that purchased them and figured it would not be a big problem - my guess is they would have been generous and lenient. But they were caught unprepared for the massive increase in recent purchases and started to realize that travel packages were going to be a larger problem than they had anticipated. There was even confusion within the office itself about the terms of these. I think in the end, they made a last-minute choice based on the large number of folks purchasing these and the fact that they had only prepared to be lenient with a few (as historically it has always been a small number).

Forgive me if I am missing this, but has this chart been published anywhere on the Marriott site, or only through the Starwood Lurker? If it is not on the Marriott site, I also would not be surprised if Marriott changes its mind on this and decides to be more gracious once it receives blow-back. Isn't that what happened with them giving Starwood lifetime plats Marriott LTPP status?

As I posted before, I still think that some of these will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
For awhile now, I've wondered if MR uses these forums and the insiders forum as their litmus test to see how the general public will respond to a policy before releasing it in their official statements. It seems like several new policies that might be seen as unfavorable have been mentioned on these boards first, and when they get too much blowback, Marriott changes course slightly before announcing it through more official channels.

That might explain why the Lurkers have released so much conflicting information and/or information that hasn't come to pass throughout this merge. It would also explain why we keep getting our information here and/or through travel bloggers rather than Marriott.
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:44 am

There's no doubt that the social media folks send stuff up the chain--that's why I have some hope that the no upgrades/downgrades thing might have some flexibility because it was not part of the official announcement.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
to lure them in & then whack!

to quote the Roaches' inn - I can check in but I cannot check out!
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
I spoke to a few reps who advised after checking with their manager that book now pay later bookings would be honoured at the old rate. My bookings now show the higher rate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.