Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select Packages - Deals from the Topic drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:31 am

spg points not transferred yet to marriott and also not showing on spg.com
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by GoPhils

This! Sure Marriott maybe could have done things a bit differently, and in the end I have a feeling that theyll refund the 30k point differences, but they could have easily stopped selling the legacy travel package certificates when they announced they were going to raise the prices. In which case Im sure people would have complained. Threatening to move hotel chains completely, class actions, etc. seems way over the top considering anyone that bought a TP since it was announced they were changing is getting a significantly better deal than someone who were to buy a new TP today, just maybe not as much of a better deal as they thought. First world problems for sure.

I think the only people that have legitimate complaints are those that bought the TPs prior to the announcement of the changes to TP costs in the new program. And Im sure that number is FAR less than the number of people that bought them since, fueled by blogger and forum hysteria.
this could certainly be looked at the opposite way, that they announced the new pricing in order to drive up the sale of the old packages, which they knew were going to be devalued, making Marriott more culpable.
MileageGoblin likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:41 am

when will we know what is considered peak and off peak for 2019?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:45 am

I really confuse, I had new C4 (old C5) TP, someone's said only can execute C4 for 7 nights, cannot execute for C5 off-peak in 2019.
Any confirm news for it? Thanks.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by dreamertogo
I really confuse, I had new C4 (old C5) TP, someone's said only can execute C4 for 7 nights, cannot execute for C5 off-peak in 2019.
Did you use Google Translator to write that message ?
mk712 and jjwMA like this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by dreamertogo
It is category based, not points based. Only Cat 1-4 but it includes peak periods.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by metoo
when will we know what is considered peak and off peak for 2019?
Given the clarity of communications from Marriott - I would expect not until bookings open at new rates
And its going to be hotel specific, no?
All the hotel has to do is designate all weekends "peak" - and forget about redeeiming your package.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by jamflyer
I have not seen this discussed. What's the impact on the 5 night packages available to MVCI owners?
Im sure it is an oversight, owners.marriottvacationclub.com still advertises the legacy 5N packages.

Originally Posted by SC Alum
So basically, the difference is only 30 points and you get extra 25K airline miles.

If you convert 30k points, we'll get 12.5K miles, which is still 12.5K miles less than the current Cat 5 travel package.
The devaluation of hotel certificates and mile transfers are separate. Comparing the old to new packages, inclusive of the air miles, confuses the values of old and new hotel certs. Separating the also devalued mileage component is easy based on the new travel package pricing.

The old travel package system (exempting 5N packages) generally converted points to miles at a 1:1 ratio and added the cost of a seven-night stay at respective categories (after considering the fifth night free).* The new travel packages follow the same logic but convert points to miles at a 1.5:1 ratio and use the cost of peak pricing for each category. In math: [Peak Nightly Cost for Cat x 6 nights] + [1.5 x No. of Miles] = Cost of Travel Package
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Given the clarity of communications from Marriott - I would expect not until bookings open at new rates
And its going to be hotel specific, no?
All the hotel has to do is designate all weekends "peak" - and forget about redeeiming your package.
Packages cover peak values.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by esdot
The new travel packages follow the same logic but convert points to miles at a 1.5:1 ratio and use the cost of peak pricing for each category. In math: [Peak Nightly Cost for Cat x 6 nights] + [1.5 x No. of Miles] = Cost of Travel Package
Yes, as soon as I saw that I was afraid they would convert on peak values and had I had 60K in the kitty would have upgraded to a 7. I wasn't expecting to not be able to do that later.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Can someone cancel their reservation that has a certificate attached and see if they will be refunded points or a certificate in the new system ?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members,

For members with existing Travel Packages (booked prior to today and not yet attached to a reservation), today we are able to share how they will convert within the newly unified program. Please see the full chart below.

No existing Travel Package certificate is losing value in terms of points and, with the new Free Night Award Chart that goes live today, 70% of our hotels either stayed at the same redemption rate threshold or moved down. As we structured the conversion chart, we considered the introduction of peak and off-peak redemption rates, which will be introduced in early 2019. This means that if you have an existing Category 9 certificate, which converts to Category 6 starting today, holders will still be able to attach the certificate to a stay when redemption rates within that category are at their highest.

Please let us know if you have any questions and we’ll do our best to answer.

Marriott Rewards Insider
I can certainly understand why folks on this forum are upset with this conversion chart. I'm baffled by how the Marriott folks who came up with this chart and approved it would think that members would be happy with it.

I'm holding an old Category 7 (35,000 points per night) certificate from a package that I ordered in July. I expected it to be worth 35,000 points per night after August 18. The fact that the conversion shows "40K points" would only be of value if I wait until 2019 and I book for a peak period. Still, I'm okay with the point value. It's still worth 35,000 points per night as far as I'm concerned.

I want to use it in September 2019, so I was unable to make my reservation and attach the certificate before August 18.

When I ordered the package, I was told I would be able to able to extend the hotel certificate another 12 month beyond its expiration date and to add more points if I needed to. That's how it's long been with Marriott, and Marriott did not announce that anything would change. Let's hope that a recent post to the contrary from a Lurker is mistaken — or that Marriott will reconsider such a member-hostile policy change.

I did better than some. Like many here, I wish I had ordered old Category 9 (45,000 points per night). But I didn't.

However, I'd be really upset if I had ordered old Category 6 or old Category 8. I'd feel I had been robbed by Marriott.
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Yes, as soon as I saw that I was afraid they would convert on peak values and had I had 60K in the kitty would have upgraded to a 7. I wasn't expecting to not be able to do that later.
To me this is the most annoying aspect of the conversion. I didn't expect either a windfall or to be protected against devaluation. But when I bought my certificate in May, it permitted upgrades or downgrades, and no change to that policy had been announced even unofficially. I've attached my Cat 9 certificate to a hotel I'd be content to stay at. But it seems highly likely that I'll have to move the reservation to later in the year. The hotel is now a Cat 7, so I won't be able to rebook. The no upgrade/downgrade policy seems senseless. If my certificate is now a new Cat 6, it shouldn't be a problem to upgrade it to a new Cat 7 for the current difference in cost between the two.
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by mk712
100% agree on everything.

Regardless of which package you hold, at worst you haven't received as good of a deal as some have, but at the very least you're in the same situation now that you were before in terms of points spent. There are no losers here.

People have had unrealistic expectations all along, the blogs were advertising the travel packages as if they were the deal of the century and now people are disappointed because they're only getting what they've paid for. If people had based their decision on logic rather than speculation then no one would be complaining.

Case in point:

So you bought an old Category 8 package (40k points per night) hoping to use it at the new Category 6 properties (50k points per night), and now you're upset because Marriott won't let you. How dare they!
Yeah. Because buying a cat-6 package and throwing away 30K points (which are sold for almost $340 on their website) isn't losing.
carlitos and EDIflyer like this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:48 am
Chy

Absolutely horrible move by Marriott. Not allowing upgrade/downgrade, and not releasing the chart beforehand are absolutely unacceptable. It is willful deception. You release the chart the same day it goes live and can't even give a week notice? Shameful.
catawba likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.