Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by esdot
But you didn't upgrade your certificate accordingly. You had a certificate, knowledge that about a third of the properties at that level would be increasing in price, knowledge that new travel packages assigned an equivalent point value to a Cat 5 certificate, and a hope it would work out. In pure numbers, you kept the 240k point certificate, hoped a windfall would convert it to a 360k point certificate, but received a 240k point certificate. I don't mean to be insensitive; sorry.
Again, I didn't hope for a windfall. I explained the situation very clearly so I'm baffled by your misunderstanding. If Marriott had made this information available previously, I would have moved my certificate to a category 9. I could not "upgrade accordingly" given that there was no information provided by Marriott. The key word there is "accordingly" which, by the way, means "consequently", as in, a result that would have followed from Marriott providing this information in advance. Given that they didn't do that, it's quite absurd for you to claim I didn't upgrade it accordingly, as though it were even possible to do so.

You cannot reasonably claim that one should have assumed a Cat8 would map to a Cat5, given the conflicting statements on the matter from Marriott/SPG reps on this board, as well as Marriott executives who themselves claimed that the solution could change based on IT challenges. Marriott's own claim that there was no solution determined means there was no informed decision I could make, so I simply hoped that Marriott would implement a solution that created goodwill with their members.
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:06 pm

a manager at that level shouldn't care about loss/gain on this tiny TP thing.......
cruisr likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by zachary
Here's where I think it's different: Marriott knew what they were going to do (not like a regular bet where no one knows the outcome in advance). People gave them 30,000 points to upgrade from 1-5 to 6, from 7 to 8, and from 9 to Tier 1-3 in the last few days. Yes, many were gambling that they would get higher value. But Marriott knew they were getting nothing for their 30,000 points and took the points anyway. Why would a business do that to its customers? Are you really defending that?
Exactly!
What if,
  1. The US government tell you they will create a new currency system called USD_2
  2. They don't announce the conversion rate
  3. You either keep the current USD and let it devalue or force yourself to pick up different "Packages" that maps to the USD_2.
It's a forced gamble either way. How would you feel if US government did this to your hard earned cash?
In the end, the Marriott Points balance is a form of currency.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by ahh.lun
Exactly!
What if,
  1. The US government tell you they will create a new currency system called USD_2
  2. They don't announce the conversion rate
  3. You either keep the current USD and let it devalue or force yourself to pick up different "Packages" that maps to the USD_2.
It's a forced gamble either way. How would you feel if US government did this to your hard earned cash?
In the end, the Marriott Points balance is a form of currency.
... nobody forced you to buy a TP, though. You could've kept your MR points and you'd be in the exact same boat today as you were yesterday.

That analogy is flawed on so many levels. No offense.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:22 pm

30k Marriott points are not some pocket change. Corporate greed has poisoned Marriott. If this is what they have in their head then Marriott is not worth to do business with for the long run.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
The main problem (besides the ones pointed out already) is for spg members - I wanted to stay at some properties that I knew were going to be cat 5 but b/c I didn't know the "mapping" I thought I'd be safe with a cat 6 package - wrong.
Oh, and that's besides the hotel that isn't mapped before (Le Meridien Etoile Paris) - does anyone know it's category?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: Marriott
Originally Posted by cruisr
So now a corporate travel manager, responsible for maximizing his company’s savings at hotels, is going to say, “Well, since Marriott changed their Travel Package redemption chart and didn’t tell anybody I am going to cancel all Marriott contracts....even if those contracts would have saved my company hundreds of thousands of dollars”. Yeah, right.
LOL. You think a major corporation has to bargain hunt? That shows how much you know about corporate hotel accounts with large companies. For companies the size of my husband's, all major hotel chains know exactly what that company's per diem for hotels are in each area, and they typically establish a special corporate rate that meets that per diem rate. Going with other chains does NOT cost that company a penny more. So, yes, his company can advise its employees to go with other chains or notify their travel bookers to avoid a certain chain. They can also send internal company memos to that effect. As I said, they've done so before.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by estnet
The main problem (besides the ones pointed out already) is for spg members - I wanted to stay at some properties that I knew were going to be cat 5 but b/c I didn't know the "mapping" I thought I'd be safe with a cat 6 package - wrong.
Oh, and that's besides the hotel that isn't mapped before (Le Meridien Etoile Paris) - does anyone know it's category?

see here for all the info, the site's been up for a while: https://points-redemption.marriott.com/category-change
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90

see here for all the info, the site's been up for a while: https://points-redemption.marriott.com/category-change
Thanks but I"ve looked there multiple times and I can't see that hotel - can see all the others, though -this is what I see:

Last edited by estnet; Aug 18, 2018 at 9:52 pm
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by FrustratedinCA
LOL. You think a major corporation has to bargain hunt? That shows how much you know about corporate hotel accounts with large companies. For companies the size of my husband's, all major hotel chains know exactly what that company's per diem for hotels are in each area, and they typically establish a special corporate rate that meets that per diem rate. Going with other chains does NOT cost that company a penny more. So, yes, his company can advise its employees to go with other chains or notify their travel bookers to avoid a certain chain. They can also send internal company memos to that effect. As I said, they've done so before.
I obviously don’t work for your husband’s company but did work for a major Global corporation. I simply can’t imagine a Corporate Travel Manager or VP sending out internal memo telling its employees not to book Marriott (or any travel company) because that company changed its reward program in a way that may not be fair to many. Just how many of said company’s employees were effected by this? I am impressed that your husband has such influence over his company’s corporate travel program. Whatever happens I wish you luck and happiness.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Post here if you were harmed by this:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...ss-action.html
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Thanks but I"ve looked there multiple times and I can't see that hotel - can see all the others, though -this is what I see:
Not sure why its not showing for you. I see it when I look at the list and its a category 5 for 35k points
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

for whatever reason, it doesn't have "Paris" listed as its location, but here it is:

Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:56 pm

Can't see what you meant to paste - but thanks anyway. For a while I thought I might have lost the ability to read!!! So glad it's an IT mixup instead
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Marriott: Let Cat 8 holders buy up!

The Cat 8 package I bought was valid at hotels costing 40k per night. Now, it's valid only for 35k per night.

How is that "similar" value mapping?!

Marriott needs to allow Cat 8 package holders to pay 30k points to buy up to the new Cat 6 package. Category 6 hotels is where I was planning my future travel around.
imverge, SC Alum, lingecw and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.