Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by agjil
I was just saying that I think that's the right thing to do.
What's your point?
Sorry, just sounded like you were saying they better do this....or else. Didn’t get that you were trying to say it is the right thing to do, from your post. Thanks for clarifying.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
No more loyalty to Marriott. To take revenge at Marriott, I will complain about slightest thing during my future award certificate stays and demand compensation in the form of refund or points.
cruisr and MasterGeek like this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ghtjyjy
Can not agree more. Please refund us, Marriott! It is unfair! Lost thousands of dollars in one night. I am done with Marriott! Never go to any Marriott hotel ever.
can you please elaborate? Where did you spend and lost thousands of dollars?
cruisr likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Obviously that would be a nice gesture, but I don't think it makes Cat8 holders whole. There are lots of former Cat8 properties going to Cat6 and that 30k points isn't going to fix the problem for someone like me who wanted to book a stay at one of those hotels for next autumn with their certificate. Contrary to what some people here insist, not everyone was purposely "gambling" in hopes of a windfall.
agree! I have two Cat8 TP, one attached to a real trip but one unattached. Former Cat 8 I was looking at are all going up to New Cat 6. Even refund 30k can't fix the problem.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr

Sorry, just sounded like you were saying they better do this....or else. Didn’t get that you were trying to say it is the right thing to do, from your post. Thanks for clarifying.
Thanks for the follow up post, and sorry I wasn't too clear in my original post.
Let's see how Marriott reacts in the coming days/weeks.
cruisr likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RedSun
Ritz Carlton credit card holders all get upgraded to from Gold to Marriott Platinum....
Well not all. Only people in their first year, or who achieved it through spend. One of my friends who has had the card for a couple years told me he's still Gold.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
can you please elaborate? Where did you spend and lost thousands of dollars?
He could have bought SPG pts and transferred those to Marriott to redeem for the TPs.
cruisr likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:32 pm

Just want to know the mapping chart if official announce? Still expect my C6 has another possible way.........
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by JOJOZHAOZHAO
agree! I have two Cat8 TP, one attached to a real trip but one unattached. Former Cat 8 I was looking at are all going up to New Cat 6. Even refund 30k can't fix the problem.
Shouldn't you have attached them to the original Cat 8 as recommended or you just couldn't decide or have no plans?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:34 pm

Marriott, you totally screwed us up. You purposely withheld this information until now. Not only that, but your customer service representatives suck so much that they were giving out FALSE information. Call wait time was usually 1 hour or longer. Now with this mapping you tried to spin it that none of us has lost value. WRONG! This whole thing is a mess and it only shows how shrewd you are in trying to screw us. It is not right that a Cat 6 certificate holder got the same certificate as someone who bought a Cat 5. You need to do the right thing here and refund us the 30k points who bought Cat 6 and 8 packages.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
No I would not have said "oh well". I would have upgraded my certificate accordingly because I had been provided with enough information to make a decision in order to accomplish my travel plan. I'm now stuck with this Cat5 certificate. Don't be obtuse.
But you didn't upgrade your certificate accordingly. You had a certificate, knowledge that about a third of the properties at that level would be increasing in price, knowledge that new travel packages assigned an equivalent point value to a Cat 5 certificate, and a hope it would work out. In pure numbers, you kept the 240k point certificate, hoped a windfall would convert it to a 360k point certificate, but received a 240k point certificate. I don't mean to be insensitive; sorry.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
Wow!

I get a Cat-6 attached to a new 50k property. I'm going to hold tight on it....

We have been fore-warned so many times that, attach your certificate. Or take the wild rides. Folks do not want to listen.
Not so simple, for those who wanted SPG instead.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: Marriott
Wow...I feel like Marriott just gave my husband (a very loyal business traveler) and me the middle finger. Although we do have an (attached) Cat 8 certificate at a hotel that is a new Cat 6, which we hope to be able to use, there's a good chance his work schedule will force us to change our travel date, which presumably will lose us our ability to stay at this hotel entirely and ANY of the other previously Cat 8 hotels we originally wanted to stay at, since ALL of the Cat 8's we wanted are now Cat 6! I wouldn't have a problem with that if we'd be able to make up the difference in points to keep the Cat 6 certificate, but even that isn't allowed, according to the new policies.

Had we known this mapping prior to the transition, we would have booked a Cat 9 instead of a Cat 8, but Marriott intentionally withheld that information. As a result, my husband and I feel totally cheated. Especially since Cat 6 during low season is 40,000 points per night...the same value as the cert we purchased...and now we're locked into a peak rate Cat 5 and cannot access ANY of the hotels I originally hoped to stay at. We thought we'd at least get to use it at a low season Cat 6.

Regardless, it's VERY clear how much Marriott values their most loyal travelers and business travelers; they don't.

If this policy holds, we're taking our business elsewhere and informing my husband's corporate travel department about it. His company has over 50,000 employees, many of whom travel for business regularly. They take treatment of their employees by hotel chains very seriously, and they've dropped hotels from their booking list because of lesser issues than this.
Happy and MasterGeek like this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
So now a corporate travel manager, responsible for maximizing his company’s savings at hotels, is going to say, “Well, since Marriott changed their Travel Package redemption chart and didn’t tell anybody I am going to cancel all Marriott contracts....even if those contracts would have saved my company hundreds of thousands of dollars”. Yeah, right.
osotoc, tonywush, invalyd and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by cruisr
Well Starwood Lurker kept saying attach your certificate for maximum value. Of course, you could not attach to a SPG property if that is what you wanted, but he did warn us.

Hmmmm no class actions suits threatened yet. Maybe everybody is away.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...ss-action.html

ding-ding-ding!
cruisr likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.