Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:32 pm

I had a Cat 6 reservation booked with TP tied to it. Luckily I looked at the conversion and the hotel was going from old Cat 6 to new Cat 4. I was lucky to be able to downgrade my cert and saved some points. Now I just have to wait to when I can reattach the very to my reservation.

The conversion chart was not what I was expecting.

You just know Marriott had some MBA come up with this conversion. They put a value to the lost goodwill to compare to what they would save on the liability side on the spreadsheet.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:38 pm

Left without comment:

Marriott | Golden Rule
MDtR-Chicago likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:39 pm

Let's hope Marriott will do some point refunding offer for Cat 6, 8, Tier 1-3 holders. It is possible that they intentionally hide the conversion chart so people don't jump in the high value path, and then actively refund points to those who paid extra to "keep" their reputation.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by zozeppelin
Left without comment:

Marriott Golden Rule
But they know we can't screw them like they screwed us.

We just need to speak with our wallets and take our business to different brands.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tonywush
Let's hope Marriott will do some point refunding offer for Cat 6, 8, Tier 1-3 holders. It is possible that they intentionally hide the conversion chart so people don't jump in the high value path, and then actively refund points to those who paid extra to "keep" their reputation.
Obviously that would be a nice gesture, but I don't think it makes Cat8 holders whole. There are lots of former Cat8 properties going to Cat6 and that 30k points isn't going to fix the problem for someone like me who wanted to book a stay at one of those hotels for next autumn with their certificate. Contrary to what some people here insist, not everyone was purposely "gambling" in hopes of a windfall.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr

Or what?
I was just saying that I think that's the right thing to do.
What's your point?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Obviously that would be a nice gesture, but I don't think it makes Cat8 holders whole. There are lots of former Cat8 properties going to Cat6 and that 30k points isn't going to fix the problem for someone like me who wanted to book a stay at one of those hotels for next autumn with their certificate. Contrary to what some people here insist, not everyone was purposely "gambling" in hopes of a windfall.
But the "loss" you describe was missing out on a hopeful windfall. Why would you be able to book a stay next fall (not yet bookable) with a lower value certificate not matching the more expensive property when bookable? Last January 2017, if you had a Cat 8 certificate and wanted to use it in Summer 2018 for a property that had been Cat 8 2017 and was Cat 9 2018, you would have said, "oh well."
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
As someone who is not afraid to admit it. You are right that I was wrong about a certificate conversion. However, you also confirmed for me that an old Category 9 will not be a New Category 7. Thank you. 5 out of six predictions isn't too bad.

I don't understand why some people are upset. If you can't afford to loose on a gamble, you shouldn't have gambled at all. The value is similar, expecting anything more is reckless. Had you attached your certificate you would have been able to request a refund of points where your reservation now requires fewer. People were encouraged to "atrach" their certificates in the old program for maximum benefit. If you didn't, should you expect maximum benefit?

Whatever you are feeling today, self inflicted or not, at least you have a whole month to look over the properties and choose that perfect vacation spot. Tier 4-5, enjoy your Bora Bora or Maldives stay. There won't be a lot of competition from the irrational thinkers, just as I had predicted.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.

James
Glad I didn't gamble with my MR points. ^ If I need some airline miles I'll just xfer 60K MR to airline of my choice.
HT to Happy for common sense advice a few pages back.

Last edited by philemer; Aug 18, 2018 at 9:05 pm
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by applesauce
Marriott is really risking a lot of brand loyalty with decisions like this. I would hope Marriott decides to refund the 30k points on the Cat6 and Cat8 packages.

While the conversion itself seems fair, it means anyone who's booked a Cat6 or cat8 package paid 30k more than they would have had Marriott not withheld this information until after everything was frozen. This shows a lot of disrespect to loyal customers who built up significant amounts of points through stays. And as you point out, 30% of properties are getting more expensive.
Can not agree more. Please refund us, Marriott! It is unfair! Lost thousands of dollars in one night. I am done with Marriott! Never go to any Marriott hotel ever.

Last edited by ghtjyjy; Aug 18, 2018 at 8:18 pm
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by JOJOZHAOZHAO
I have one attched for next Jan trip. It was cat 8 and will be cat 6 later. Do I need to worry about it?
You should be ok. But I don’t know what happens if you need to reschedule that stay for another date. Does the cert reset to a 5 and is thus no longer eligible for that property?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by esdot
But the "loss" you describe was missing out on a hopeful windfall. Why would you be able to book a stay next fall (not yet bookable) with a lower value certificate not matching the more expensive property when bookable? Last January 2017, if you had a Cat 8 certificate and wanted to use it in Summer 2018 for a property that had been Cat 8 2017 and was Cat 9 2018, you would have said, "oh well."
No I would not have said "oh well". I would have upgraded my certificate accordingly because I had been provided with enough information to make a decision in order to accomplish my travel plan. I'm now stuck with this Cat5 certificate. Don't be obtuse.
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
I am dissapointed in the Cat 6 mapping to Cat 1-4. I did not have definite plans so attaching ahead of time wasn't possible, especially when most of the properties I was looking at were Starwood.

It would been so easy for the Marriott agent to tell me the conversion mapping while we were on the phone, and I could have chosen to take a few less air miles and assured myself a Cat 5. Why the need to play this mystery game? Revenue?

Not a great way to start off a relationship with new customers coming from SPG.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA

You should be ok. But I don’t know what happens if you need to reschedule that stay for another date. Does the cert reset to a 5 and is thus no longer eligible for that property?
It's a real trip as I've already booked the air tickets. hopefully I'm good...
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
No more loyalty to Marriott. To take revenge at Marriott, I will complain about slightest thing during my future award certificate stays and demand compensation in the form of refund or points.
Does that mean you wont be feeling special and pampered on all your stays anymore?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:14 pm

Wow, they totally screwed cat 6 and 8 holders..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.