Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Old Cat 8 -> New Cat 5 is totally not a "similar" mapping.

I had made plans to stay at a New Cat 6 (SPG) hotel.

Giving me the same deal as someone who redeemed 30000 points less is messed up too!

At the very least, Marriott should refund me the 30000 points that I overpaid due to their bungled communication. Even then, I feel this is just throwing a crumb to me - a poor little thing.

This is what happens when a company starts monopolizing.
imverge likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:28 pm
formerly smoaky

Making Cat 8 into Cat 5 is absolutely not similar mapping. I'm screwed. But I'm cancelling all my Marriott cards, going to open a Hyatt one and move all my spending and stays to Hyatt.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Class action?
Maybe someone should contact KELLER ROHRBACK LLP who did the Wells and VW class actions..
tbm13, tonywush and pointsifu like this.

Last edited by silverforumsurf; Aug 18, 2018 at 4:39 pm
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by silverforumsurf
Class action?
There it is
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by smoaky
I paid $350 to get enough points to upgrade my Cat 7 to a Cat 8 a few days after purchasing a travel package. The rep I spoke with said I would get a higher points-based certificate in return. It turns out you knew that this wasn't the case and took my money and points anyway. Marriott you lost my business. You need to upgrade Cat 8s to the new Cat 6s otherwise this is deeply unfair. Bad.
If Marriott doesn't refund the points, or upgrade your cert, you may as well go to small claims or do a chargeback
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:40 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Who is this happy lady?

Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Any word on the single night cat 1-5 certificates?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by edta450
"No existing Travel Package certificate is losing value in terms of points"
Hah! This is totally untrue. Peak/off-peak award does not even exist until 2019, as mentioned in Marriott website.
Old Cat 6 value is now 25K, not 30K. Old Cat 8 is now 35K, not 40K.
Just tell me now when off-peak is for Cat.5 (30k) and I won't be as furious about being hosed out of 30k points for upgrading.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Just tell me now when off-peak is for Cat.5 (30k) and I won't be as furious about being hosed out of 30k points for upgrading.
The hotel I am interested in is the new category 5 in Hong Kong. Before the system went down, I checked the "new " points. Every day of the week and every month showed 35k point. No off peak and no peak even into 2019.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:51 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by silverforumsurf
Class action?
Originally Posted by cruisr
There it is
A little sooner than I expected.
JustinTJ likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
That'll just make you angrier... the accompanying text makes clear that the new Certificates are Category based, not points based. I.e. if you have a new Cat 4 certificate then you can use it for a new Cat 4 at any time (off peak/standard/peak) but not for a Cat 5. That's why the accompanying "max points value" in the table is rather misleading.

Overall, this is not what I predicted/expected and I think Marriott have scored an own goal here. I actually think that the mappings are not wholly unreasonable (or at least, within the realm of fairness) but what completely flummoxes me is the treatment of Cat 6, Cat 8 and Tier 1-3 certificate holders. I have no skin in that particular game but it's pretty underhand unless they're planning 30k point rebates.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:53 pm

Attached certificates

Any news on what will be happening to attached certificates if you want to detach them? Same treatment as above or are they receiving different treatment?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott - Titanium
There goes my Hawaii vacation in November...Cat 8 certificate down to 5.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:59 pm

Anyone have the complete list of new categories? That website provided before seems not to work today.
An alternate source/webpage, or spreadsheet would be fine.
thx.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by dominick
Anyone have the complete list of new categories? That website provided before seems not to work today.
An alternate source/webpage, or spreadsheet would be fine.
thx.
Works for me

https://points-redemption.marriott.com/category-change
jjwMA likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.