Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
So that is the reasons why no downgrade or upgrade allowed after Aug 18?

HOW SLEAZY Marriott has become.

I understand it does not want to let the bloggers fanned speculation got paid off, but in doing such conversion and not allowing those holding the ESSENTIALLY BEING DOWNGRADED INVOLUNTARILY Cat 6 owners WITHOUT GETTING BACK THE OVERPAID 30K.

THIS.IS.NOT.RIGHT.
Agree, this is scummy from Marriott. A core feature of the certificates was the flexibility to use them on a higher category booking later.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:06 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by MasterGeek

Why didn't you announce that in advance you scummy thugs ?! I would have upgraded all my certificates to Category 9 so i can get Cat 6 certificates in the new system ��

You didn't do too bad ... looks like Category 9 is the winner here - 45k of value to 60k
JustinTJ likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:08 pm

Have you guys even looked at the award chart? For example, Ritz 1-3 almost all maps to Cat 6 in new award chart. Hence why Marriott mapped it to Cat 6. You think 30,000 MR points is worth crying over? You took a small gamble and loss. Stop crying.

There are only 4 (OUT OF 66) hotels that Ritz 1-3 could have booked before but now no longer can: The Ritz-Carlton Ras Al Khaimah Al Hamra Beach,The Ritz-Carlton Ras Al Khaimah Al Wadi Desert, The Ritz-Carlton Osaka, The Ritz-Carlton Toronto.

Last edited by CrimsonMoose; Aug 18, 2018 at 2:10 pm Reason: Formatting
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
What the !#%!#%!#%??? At the low end probably expected 1-5 to become 1-4. But only R3-5 to Cat 7? Wow...
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:11 pm

So this means if I have a Cat 9 travel package attached to a reservation now, I can cancel the reservation after 9/18 and book a hotel costing up to 60k per night??
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Any guidance on if attached certificates can be canceled and reused for Starwood properties?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
Wow!

I get a Cat-6 attached to a new 50k property. I'm going to hold tight on it....

We have been fore-warned so many times that, attach your certificate. Or take the wild rides. Folks do not want to listen.
i only gave myself 6 hours to attach mine and with my luck Marriott was down the entire time (called 5 times).
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cruisr
Well Starwood Lurker kept saying attach your certificate for maximum value. Of course, you could not attach to a SPG property if that is what you wanted, but he did warn us.

Hmmmm no class actions suits threatened yet. Maybe everybody is away.
Wow!

We have been fore-warned so many times that, attach your certificate. Or take the wild rides. Folks do not want to listen.
Several of us tried to attach a cert to a property requires higher level without success.

Besides. it would not help those whose targeted properties were a former Cat 6 but go down to 25K/pt this year (no Peak/ Off Peak pricing in 2018) when the stay is in 2018.

There are several posters on this thread are in that situation. whether you attach the cert or not, if it is a Cat 6, you are screwed because now you would not even get a refund EVEN IF you have attached it, due to the property is a Cat 1 to 4, and the Cat 6 is now also a Cat 1 to 4!

Again, whether you attached the cert or not, if yours is a Cat 6, you are screwed!

Not to mention the ability to up or downgrade was taken away several times before the actual black out period started. There were multiple posts in this thread the past 2 days that people were not able to do up / downgrade of their existing certs due to either system was down or the reps / supervisors refused to do it. Some tried multiple times to multiple call centers and finally got it done - now we know the reason behind it - because Marriott will make the higher level certs become less valuable.
I would bet the decision is made after Marriott has enough data to see where the bulk of categories are being redeemed. Cat 1 - 5 the lowest level may be the least number hence no suffering.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 18, 2018 at 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by CrimsonMoose
Have you guys even looked at the award chart? For example, Ritz 1-3 almost all maps to Cat 6 in new award chart. Hence why Marriott mapped it to Cat 6. You think 30,000 MR points is worth crying over? You took a small gamble and loss. Stop crying......
Here comes the trolls.... Your argument is severely lacking when you even admit there are some Tier 1-3s that are now above Cat 6. Tier 1-3s should have gone to 7 with Tier 4-5 to Cat 8.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:18 pm

How is my argument severely lacking when only 4 out of 66 Tier 1-3s are above new Cat 6? That's 6%.

In other words, 94% of all Tier 1-3s would have been Cat 6 in the new chart. Why would Marriott ever convert Tier 1-3 to new Cat 7???

Sorry you don't understand basic math.

Last edited by CrimsonMoose; Aug 18, 2018 at 2:18 pm Reason: Formatting
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:20 pm

So it's entirely category based, not point-based? Like can a Tier 1-3 or 4-5 book cat 8 properties before the end of the year while they're cat 7 pricing?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:21 pm

Wow!

Not fair RedSun, those in the military or associated services can't pick and choose so readily that far in advance.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:23 pm

Category 9 is clearly the winner here. I debated moving 30k Chase UR to Marriott to upgrade my Category 8 but didn't. I originally had a 7 but moved to an 8. Should have kept the 7 since it is worth the same amount as my 8.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
It would be nice if MR did refund 30k points to those who bought one level higher and still get the same category as someone who has one level lower. Would be fair IMO. Also wish we could do a one-time upgrade (if not downgrade) to get to a higher category hotel if needed.

I think the above 2 requests are reasonable.
I can bet that all the one time upgrades would go into Catgory 9. If they allowed that I would do it also as i would only have to add 120k points and would get a value of 360,000 points (plus 5th night free) and my total points cost for air miles and hotel would have only been 390k. So basically i would be paying 30k points for 120k or 132k air miles. Yeah, like they are going to let people do that. Again, I will do it I just dont think they are going to allow it.
JustinTJ likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Lizie
Not fair RedSun, those in the military or associated services can't pick and choose so readily that far in advance.
Then why didn't you choose to keep the Marriott points and don't redeem for a Hotel and Air Package? That would have given you the flexibility and you would have "saved" 30,000 points?

You gave up the option value by exchanging flexible Marriott points for a certificate. In exchange for that, you were compensated with the airline miles (which was a fantastic conversion).
JustinTJ likes this.

Last edited by CrimsonMoose; Aug 18, 2018 at 2:26 pm Reason: Formatting

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.