Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Wow. Sounds like Ritz Tier 1-3 really got screwed here. Not being able to redeem at Category 7 properties is very disappointing, AND we overpaid relative to Category 9 holders.
entrada and nick793 like this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Members,

For members with existing Travel Packages (booked prior to today and not yet attached to a reservation), today we are able to share how they will convert within the newly unified program. Please see the full chart below.

No existing Travel Package certificate is losing value in terms of points and, with the new Free Night Award Chart that goes live today, 70% of our hotels either stayed at the same redemption rate threshold or moved down. As we structured the conversion chart, we considered the introduction of peak and off-peak redemption rates, which will be introduced in early 2019. This means that if you have an existing Category 9 certificate, which converts to Category 6 starting today, holders will still be able to attach the certificate to a stay when redemption rates within that category are at their highest.

Please let us know if you have any questions and we’ll do our best to answer.

Marriott Rewards Insider
Why didn't you announce that in advance you scummy thugs ?! I would have upgraded all my certificates to Category 9 so i can get Cat 6 certificates in the new system 😡
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:38 pm

Well...I gambled and lost. I'll spare the foul language I'm shouting to the heavens but my choice was cancelling my reservation next week for the Le Meridien Barcelona (was going to wait see if my SNAs cleared) or book a T1-3 to try and use at StRegis Maldives...

Now, not only did I pay 30k more than I needed to, but I'm still hosed since I can't upgrade/downgrade.

I admit I gambled and lost but thanks Marriott. Doesn't make me feel good that I burned all my points on a cert I don't need since I had to guess.
Cossioval and kapooncha like this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:39 pm

Members,

For members with existing Travel Packages (booked prior to today and not yet attached to a reservation), today we are able to share how they will convert within the newly unified program. Please see the full chart below.

No existing Travel Package certificate is losing value in terms of points and, with the new Free Night Award Chart that goes live today, 70% of our hotels either stayed at the same redemption rate threshold or moved down. As we structured the conversion chart, we considered the introduction of peak and off-peak redemption rates, which will be introduced in early 2019. This means that if you have an existing Category 9 certificate, which converts to Category 6 starting today, holders will still be able to attach the certificate to a stay when redemption rates within that category are at their highest.

Marriott Rewards Insider
To be frank, I'm very deeply disappointed with how Marriott handles this. It's very unfair to old Cat 6, Cat 8, and Tier 3 holders. Goodbye and I'll take my stays elsewhere. And time to start a class action.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Where is my popcorn???
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:45 pm

this thread is going to be a gold mine of entertainment for the rest of the weekend from those who took a big gamble and were hoping for a payoff. Course, the blogger blowhards had a hand in this as well, egging people on. Ahh well, you win some you lose some. Some people forget, the house always wins in the end.
cruisr, VisaW and JustinTJ like this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Members,

Marriott Rewards Insider
*##*#*]€ #]%{%]# {%#}#{* ! 🤬🤬😡
(self censored foul language directed at Marriott)
Jennlynd likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:49 pm

I thought that the new certificate program was points-based instead of category-based? That is, a cert would be tied to a maximum point redemption rate per night (or at least, isn't this how the credit card "free night" certs are supposed to work?) If an old Tier 1-3 cert is getting mapped to a Category 6 (max 60k points per night) does that mean that it can work for any redemption up to 60k points/night (i.e. new category 7 under the "standard" redemption rates, prior to the introduction of peak/off-peak pricing)? Or are Travel Packages being handled at the category-level instead of point-level, and will be different from the credit card "free night" certs?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:49 pm

What slime. Not even Tier 4-5 gets Cat 8 for post 2019? And my Tier 1-3 only gets Cat 6. Freakin' terrible.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:53 pm

Very disappointing I'd agree, glad I booked my certificate for next year just in case they screwed people over. Hopefully they don't change those with existing bookings.
cruisr likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Members,

Marriott Rewards Insider
It would be nice if MR did refund 30k points to those who bought one level higher and still get the same category as someone who has one level lower. Would be fair IMO. Also wish we could do a one-time upgrade (if not downgrade) to get to a higher category hotel if needed.

I think the above 2 requests are reasonable.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Well Starwood Lurker kept saying attach your certificate for maximum value. Of course, you could not attach to a SPG property if that is what you wanted, but he did warn us.

Hmmmm no class actions suits threatened yet. Maybe everybody is away.
pointsifu likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So that is the reasons why no downgrade or upgrade allowed after Aug 18?

HOW SLEAZY Marriott has become.

I understand it does not want to let the bloggers fanned speculation got paid off, but in doing such conversion and not allowing downgrade for those holding the ESSENTIALLY BEING DOWNGRADED INVOLUNTARILY Cat 6 owner to get back the 30K over payment is not the right way to keep people whole.

THIS.IS.NOT.RIGHT.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Old Cat 1-5, Cat 7 and Tier1-3 are worth the same as before this year and more if redeemed during peak periods next year. Only the old Cat 9 is being replaced with the better option of a new Cat 6.

Unless redeemed during peak periods starting next year, 3 of the 7 existing categories are losing value. The old Category 6 is only worth 30K if the replacement Cat 4 is redeemed during peak periods. The old Cat 8 is only worth 40K if the new Cat 5 is redeemed during peak periods. Finally, the old Tier 4-5 package is only worth 70K if the new Cat 7 is redeemed during peak periods.

If we are able to use the equivalent points value in a higher category, then the overall value of the changes improves. If either the ability to change categories or extend certificates goes away, the changes will be worse. Although I wanted to point out why I think the changes are a net negative, I am not questioning MPG's ability to make changes or blaming others for a choices I made. I ended up with one gain and one loss in the translation.

Last edited by rny321; Aug 18, 2018 at 2:30 pm
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:06 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Members,

Marriott Rewards Insider
Wow!

I get a Cat-6 attached to a new 50k property. I'm going to hold tight on it....

We have been fore-warned so many times that, attach your certificate. Or take the wild rides. Folks do not want to listen.
JustinTJ likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.