Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Looking at this from a 5 or 10 or 15 year perspective, Hilton has devalued Hilton points way more than Starwood points have been devalued by Starwood and now Marriott. But that is a look into yesterday and before.
Originally Posted by RedSun
This is not. Provide some evidence??
Originally Posted by NauticalWheeler
This is a much bigger devaluation when compared to Hilton. Book before the devaluation as I did. Time is short!
technically, this is probably not a worse devaluation than Hilton, but only because Hilton started out better than Marriott. Certainly the end result will be worse than Hilton. Hilton top Properties in peak season are 95,000, Marriott will be 100,000. Points earning from hotels is basically the same, points earning from credit cards is 3 points for Hilton, 2 points for Marriott. From my perspective, this puts Marriott as a worse hotel program than Hilton. On the other hand, with the favorable transfer ratios and number of partners, Marriott is a much better airline program than Hilton, if you can gather enough points to take advantage of it😁
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:26 am

This pricing makes absolutely no sense for a 6 night stay.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Originally Posted by rny321
SNIP// When a company makes a major change to some aspect of a program, I believe that it should be communicated well in advance of the impending change by Email and/or its website and not indirectly through social media.
-"If you currently have a Travel Package Certificate that’s not yet attached to a hotel reservation, you have the following options:
- If you know when you want to travel, make a new reservation or attach your certificate to an existing one prior to August 18, 2018.
- If you are still trying to plan that perfect trip, you can hold onto the certificate and will be able to add it to a reservation starting September 18, 2018."
We did receive that exact message directly from Marriott on August 10th in emails to three accounts. Did some members with unattached TP certificates not receive the email?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by flyaxa
We did receive that exact message directly from Marriott on August 10th in emails to three accounts. Did some members with unattached TP certificates not receive the email?
Indeed, some did not.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:38 am

I did not receive the e-mail.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum; Marriott Titanium Elite; Hertz President's Circle
I never received an email despite 2 unattached certs.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Indeed, some did not.
Ahhh...ok, thanks. I doubt, however, it was intentional. It must have been some back-end glitch or faulty method for flagging accounts with unattached TPs.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Although a few didn't receive the Emails, my intention wasn't to criticize the failure to reach everyone. Rather I was trying to highlight how much of what we are discussing has so far had only been communicated through travel forums and blogs.

Last edited by rny321; Aug 18, 2018 at 9:14 am
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by OssianBlue

Domes of Elounda show 175k for those same dates as well...
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dominick
Domes of Elounda show 175k for those same dates as well...
There are definitely some display issues with both award and cash pricing...

Likely why none of these are actually bookable yet
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:21 am

I also have seen many of these much lower award prices in the USA ( Boston, Peabody, Charlotte) and UK (London) today, Aug. 18th...of course not bookable...get error page. Either a tremendous present from Marriott....but I assume a HUGE error in their IT transition. May take much flonger for them to correct.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:22 am

I wonder if they are pricing new categories at old category rates.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But are they actually bookable at these prices though? Otherwise it does not mean much.
If by Monday when everything is supposedly up and running and we still see this kind of craziness, then Marriott has a huge mess in hand to sort it out...

No, it does not seem so
The Ren was at 40K/night now 35K/night. JWM was 45K/night now 50K/night and the CY was 30K/night now 25K/night.

If the above screen shot was for 6 nights, then it should be the new rates x 5 with 1 free night - but that math does not match with any of the display!

It is just a huge IT goofed up the way it looks! (Mismatched the rate tables to the properties would be one possibility)

Last edited by Happy; Aug 18, 2018 at 9:37 am
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:28 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Ignore the rates.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Happy
But are they actually bookable at these prices though? Otherwise it does not mean much.
If by Monday when everything is supposedly up and running and we still see this kind of craziness, then Marriott has a huge mess in hand to sort it out...
Oh, I just think it is interesting. Certainly can't imagine these will be bookable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.