Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Clearly the easiest solution for Marriott at this point is to introduce 10 new award categories and devalue the points values. Then they'll e-mail all the people that complained that their current cat7 doesn't give them a new cat7 with "HAPPY NOW?" and they'll have no valid ground to complain, since their old cat7 still does, in fact, remap to a new cat7. And they also saved themselves a bunch of money because it'll only be redeemable at Four Points. win-win!
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, EK Silver
I have a dilemma, I have 300k points, enough for either a cat 1-5 120k miles or a cat 6 120k miles. I value the airline miles more then a higher category hotel.

Do I go with the cat 1-5 and save the extra points for something else, knowing that I have more flexibility regarding hotels to choose from, or do I go with cat 6 seeing as the value of this category could go up post merger, albeit at the risk of less availability?

I have until t-minus 1 hour until midnight GMT to decide!

Many thanks in advance
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
I don't think the average person is gonna understand or care about the nuances, or that the phone agents will be able to explain and justify them to the average Joe in a simple to understand language
Possibly true, however if Marriott used other nonemclature in the new charts other than "Category," say perhaps, Group 1, 2...8 then this thread would be a few thousand posts shorter with a lower propensity to try and map catergories to Groups. The fact that old category is not equal to new category is hard for many to comprehend.

One poster was adamant that he never stays at Category 1-5 properties, usually 8+ but could not comprehend that some Marriott Category 8 properties have moved to New Category 5. In his mind, he doesn't stay at a Category 1-5 so his Category 8 certificate should give him a New Category 8. Category 9, Tiers 1-3 and Tiers 4-5 are irrelavent to him as he is only focused on his Category 8. Had the new chart said GROUP 5 210K it would at least give pause to determine that his category 8, while not matched exactly, should allow him to attach it to properties in GROUP 5. For follow up, looking for properties in GROUP 5 would result in him seeing that he can still book that old Category 8 with his points.

James
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
I don't think the average person is gonna understand or care about the nuances, or that the phone agents will be able to explain and justify them to the average Joe in a simple to understand language
I don't think the avergae person play the games that we on this board play.

Understand or not (and everyone that makes that argument DO understand the difference) one will get similar value.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:35 pm

Given the interesting datapoints on attaching certificates below the level of the hotel with the possibility to upgrade after the transition, I figured I'd call in and give it a try. No dice, but I was assured I would be able to upgrade the travel package after 9/18.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:44 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Just called to upgrade cat 5 to cat 8. Completed the upgrade.
The CSR said going forward I will not be able to change these. He also said they will keep today's catagories on their backend and they will allow only to use on catagories as of today.
He explicitly said that these are marriott specific packages and I will not be able to use on any SPG hotels since they do not have any legacy catagory numbers.
When I doubted him, he put me on hold for 10 minutes, came back and said his supervisor confirmed the same.
I sure hope CSR is wrong but this is concerning.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:48 pm

My guess is certificates just become 7 night certificates worth x point a night. It is the cleanest and likely easiest approach. Do not even attempt to do any category mapping. A cat 1-5 certificate becomes 7 nights at 25k points a night, cat 6 is 30k etc. Any upgrades and downgrades just continue to be 30k points per a step the same as it is right now and they handle any mismatches at the time of booking.

Considering the new credit card certificates are already being advertised as worth x points a night, it just seems to make the most sense to me at least.
rny321 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:48 pm

Utter and complete incompetence that two such radically different responses can be given within a few moments of each other by Marriott CSR.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kcdude
Just called to upgrade cat 5 to cat 8. Completed the upgrade.
The CSR said going forward I will not be able to change these. He also said they will keep today's catagories on their backend and they will allow only to use on catagories as of today.
He explicitly said that these are marriott specific packages and I will not be able to use on any SPG hotels since they do not have any legacy catagory numbers.
When I doubted him, he put me on hold for 10 minutes, came back and said his supervisor confirmed the same.
I sure hope CSR is wrong but this is concerning.
I don't believe that. A CSR told me right now that her supervisor told her that I cannot upgrade my Cat 9 certificate to a Tier 1-3 since we can only downgrade/upgrade within categories/tiers. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they're just trying to get people to hang up due to the # of calls they're getting about this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
I wonder what is the legal basis that you think anyone could argue (regardless of jurisdiction) - considering that everyone can be made whole by points refund.
It’s not certain that everyone can and will be made whole by points refund.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder

It’s not certain that everyone can and will be made whole by points refund.
OK, and I'm not being snarky or cynic - please explain - because I really don't understand how that can happen.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:04 pm
Suspended

OK, and I'm not being snarky or cynic - please explain - because I really don't understand how that can happen.
“Understand or not (and everyone that makes that argument DO understand)”.

Marriott has left as still ambiguous (to the public at least) some things about what will happen to the legacy TPs. The devil is in the details, and the details of what Marriott will do to these TPs isn’t entirely publicly revealed; and so it’s not certain to the general TP-using customer base that no one will be harmed by Marriott’s actions in this regard.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Marriott has left as still ambiguous (to the public at least) some things about what will happen to the legacy TPs. The devil is in the details, and the details of what Marriott will do to these TPs isn’t entirely publicly revealed; and so it’s not certain to the general TP-using customer base that no one will be harmed by Marriott’s actions in this regard.
So basically the statement is based on speculations and fears without any factual basis to it. Now I understand.

So far, Marriott had been extremely fair in the entire process and I would expect it to be fair as it continues. The sparse deatils released so far indicate fair (or at least make one whole) treatment.

Even putting the transition aside, "someone" can always be harmed if someone procrastinate. I'm sure someone in the past had waited to long and the hotel they wanted changed category without enough points to buy up, for example. Cases on edge will always be there, and someone will inevitably will not be able to get the value they thought they going to get - and by all indications even those will be able to get the relative points value back. But between that and "harmed" there is a major difference.

Of course I can be wrong, but I doubt it.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:54 pm
Suspended

So basically the statement is based on speculations and fears without any factual basis to it. Now I understand.
This statement:

“It’s still to be seen what damages, if any, there may be.”

is based on neither speculation nor fears without any factual basis. It’s based on the inevitable facts that the outcomes of this situation with the TPS are limited to what is covered by my sentence above.

Marriott is no saint, it’s a business. And businesses sometimes do try to fleece their customers. No less so those in the airline and hotel loyalty program space. Does this mean Marriott will fleece none or all of its loyalty program customers using TPs? No.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by kenban
My guess is certificates just become 7 night certificates worth x point a night. It is the cleanest and likely easiest approach. Do not even attempt to do any category mapping. A cat 1-5 certificate becomes 7 nights at 25k points a night, cat 6 is 30k etc. Any upgrades and downgrades just continue to be 30k points per a step the same as it is right now and they handle any mismatches at the time of booking.

Considering the new credit card certificates are already being advertised as worth x points a night, it just seems to make the most sense to me at least.
It certainly would have been simpler, easier to explain to customers, and fairer than some of the options being discussed. Trying to reduce the number of categories and fit existing awards into the new categories, will leave one side better off than before. Unless points adjustments are made, there is no equivalent in the new program to a category 9 in the current one.

Marriott could be generous, which will cost them additional points, or take an approach that leaves a customer in a lesser position. If MPG is going to match, I believe they will modestly overcompensate customers. Although existing and proposed Terms and Conditions allow a lot of flexibility to significantly reduce the value of its loyalty program, I don't believe the company would still be selling packages today if that was the planned approach. Sometimes being a little generous is the better long term strategy. Anyway, just my opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.