Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select Packages - Deals from the Topic drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
The purported new T&Cs do have a section that the purchase of TPs is final and there's no refunds once purchased of either the miles transfer nor the hotel cert.
Yes and it is broadly enough worded that it makes me quite nervous about what happens in the event someone wants to cancel an attached certificate. This is why I'm certainly not gambling on attaching it for 7 nights in a Calgary airport hotel!
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:15 am

So I spent about 20 minutes looking for Marriott T&Cs on travel packages, and couldn't really find anything on their website. However, there are some general rules about the rewards program Marriott HAS published: https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms.mi

>>
Marriott Rewards membership and its benefits are offered at the discretion of Marriott. Marriott and its travel partners have the right, without limitation, to change, limit, modify or cancel Program Rules, regulations, rewards, and reward levels at any time, with or without notice, even though such changes may affect the value of points or miles already accumulated, the ability to use accumulated points or miles, or the ability to obtain certain rewards. Marriott and its travel partners may, among other things:
  • increase or decrease the number of points or miles received for a stay or required for a reward;
  • withdraw, limit, modify, or cancel any reward or category;
  • add blackout dates, limit rooms available for reward redemption at any participating hotel, change or restrict participating hotels, or otherwise restrict the continued availability of rewards;
  • change program benefits, travel partners, locations served by Marriott or its travel partners, conditions of participation, rules for earning, redeeming, retaining, or forfeiting points or miles, or rules governing the use of rewards;
  • change or cancel its travel partner rewards. The accumulation of points or miles does not entitle members to any vested rights with respect to points, miles, rewards, or program benefits. In accumulating points or miles, members may not rely upon the continued availability of any reward or reward level.
<<
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by sinfonia
So in all, I have purchased 4 TPs (which is a little ridiculous for me, but I am a sucker for the deal), and I have attached every one to a reservation . . .

And then tonight, I felt a little bit like a gambler and decided to purchase a cat 1-5 and leave it unattached. I called in and gave the agent my American mileage number, but at the last second, asked if it was too late to do United instead. She said it was not too late and so I provided my United number.

Now, I see in my account that one TP was ordered, then the hotel portion of it was credited back (45K), then another TP was ordered. So, basically, it now looks as if I have purchased TWO, but turned in the hotel portion of one. This is definitely not what I asked for.

I have been on the phone for awhile with another agent trying to rectify this, and she is on hold for a supervisor somewhere else who says that the people to fix this are not in until tomorrow.

Has anyone had this same experience and if so, any suggestion as to the best person to contact to fix this or the easiest way to go about reversing it? I am uncomfortable having now 540K (well, 495) removed from my account over this mistake.

Thanks.

This is what happened to me. I purchased a 5-night package with 120 miles to AS for 235K points. The miles didn't post after a week so I called. The called was transferred at least 2 times and I had spoken to maybe 3-4 reps and was eventually told that I wasn't supposed to get the 5N TP so the original rep who sold the TP to me did not process correctly. So they had to reorder the (5N) TP for me. What they did was they gave me back 190K points and then deducted another 235K points from my account. So at this point I had 2 cat 1-5 certificates since they did not cancel the previous one. So total I had spent 235K+235K-190K=280K points and got two 5N cat 1-5 certificates and 120K AS miles. The call was maybe longer than 2 hours. What interesting was, at that time I had a 5N reservation at a cat 8 property which will be in the new cat 6 property after August 18 with no certificate attached and I also had a 5N cat 6 certificate available. I was planing to upgrade it later. What happened that day was, after I hung up and checked back on my account online, my cat 6 certificate disappeared from my account and the cat 8 reservation has a certificate attached. I called later and asked them to verify and yes my cat 6 certificate was attached to the reservation. One of the reps involved in the previous call did it but never told me about it. I am not sure what will happen at the check in time.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by Lumpylump76
So I spent about 20 minutes looking for Marriott T&Cs on travel packages, and couldn't really find anything on their website. However, there are some general rules about the rewards program Marriott HAS published: https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms.mi

>>
Marriott Rewards membership and its benefits are offered at the discretion of Marriott. Marriott and its travel partners have the right, without limitation, to change, limit, modify or cancel Program Rules, regulations, rewards, and reward levels at any time, with or without notice, even though such changes may affect the value of points or miles already accumulated, the ability to use accumulated points or miles, or the ability to obtain certain rewards. Marriott and its travel partners may, among other things:
  • increase or decrease the number of points or miles received for a stay or required for a reward;
  • withdraw, limit, modify, or cancel any reward or category;
  • add blackout dates, limit rooms available for reward redemption at any participating hotel, change or restrict participating hotels, or otherwise restrict the continued availability of rewards;
  • change program benefits, travel partners, locations served by Marriott or its travel partners, conditions of participation, rules for earning, redeeming, retaining, or forfeiting points or miles, or rules governing the use of rewards;
  • change or cancel its travel partner rewards. The accumulation of points or miles does not entitle members to any vested rights with respect to points, miles, rewards, or program benefits. In accumulating points or miles, members may not rely upon the continued availability of any reward or reward level.
<<
Marriott can write whatever. Whether that will hold up in court if challenged in court is another question. Keep in mind that states and countries where Marriott present have various levels of consumer protection laws. Take for example the EU privacy protection laws that forced Google and Facebook to change their policies.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Ccaved in and bought two packages. One is a high limit and I may have to downgrade the hotel later on due to family members on the same trip. Double checked with THREE Plat agents on phone and all said I will get X points refunded for the hotel points and then will have to spend that on just hotel room at the new price. All these were recorded conversations so I believe they will honor the downgrade-points return program if nesc. in the future. Of course airline miles will be non refundable. Picked Alaska Air as most think they are valuable. Want to try Emirates J or F.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:09 am

My concern is not how the cat mapping will be done by Marriott, but whether or not one can even redeem the TP at desired aspirational property due to limited availability.

May someone that has experience with TP booking share some data points? How easy/difficult was it to redeem at 7 night award TP at an aspirational property?

I've only redeemed a Marriott award night once (SPG side), and I had a lot of difficulty finding any "nice" hotel that offered 3 nights award stay.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by HMPS
Ccaved in and bought two packages. One is a high limit and I may have to downgrade the hotel later on due to family members on the same trip. Double checked with THREE Plat agents on phone and all said I will get X points refunded for the hotel points and then will have to spend that on just hotel room at the new price. All these were recorded conversations so I believe they will honor the downgrade-points return program if nesc. in the future. Of course airline miles will be non refundable. Picked Alaska Air as most think they are valuable. Want to try Emirates J or F.
What X did they tell you?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:17 am

I read on a blog that downgrades/upgrades will no longer be allowed for the TP.

https://onemileatatime.com/one-final...ckages-update/
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:18 am

Emirates First class North America-Asia is now at 180000 pt.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by jrey
What X did they tell you?
Originally Posted by myko85
I read on a blog that downgrades/upgrades will no longer be allowed for the TP.

https://onemileatatime.com/one-final...ckages-update/
Originally Posted by musicscrip
They each confirmed that there will be a sizeable points return, a max of 315 K If a blogger/ lurker syas NO, I will have to ask Marriott to stand behind THREE of their agents. My possible downgrade is only if some in the family don't want to splurge so much cash on a daily basis for even three days.

Emirates First class North America-Asia is now at 180000 pt.

++++++++++

180 K for R/T? Where ? My intended trip will be USA -India.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:45 am

Above post messed up!

1 Refund at the top will be 315 K.
2 If their agent said that can/will happen, I don't see why Marriott will back out !

3 180 K on Emirates F, from where to where ? My target is USA_India
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Happy
On the Activity Page, choose ALL as your display option versus the default 5 items - you should then see the line entry of the redemption, despite the balance has not reflected it nor the activity would not display if not under ALL items mode.

Usually the app should be more accurate but you can also check it the above way on the computer and then can take a screen shot.
The app was accurate
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrey
This is what happened to me. I purchased a 5-night package with 120 miles to AS for 235K points. The miles didn't post after a week so I called. The called was transferred at least 2 times and I had spoken to maybe 3-4 reps and was eventually told that I wasn't supposed to get the 5N TP so the original rep who sold the TP to me did not process correctly. So they had to reorder the (5N) TP for me. What they did was they gave me back 190K points and then deducted another 235K points from my account. So at this point I had 2 cat 1-5 certificates since they did not cancel the previous one. So total I had spent 235K+235K-190K=280K points and got two 5N cat 1-5 certificates and 120K AS miles. The call was maybe longer than 2 hours. What interesting was, at that time I had a 5N reservation at a cat 8 property which will be in the new cat 6 property after August 18 with no certificate attached and I also had a 5N cat 6 certificate available. I was planing to upgrade it later. What happened that day was, after I hung up and checked back on my account online, my cat 6 certificate disappeared from my account and the cat 8 reservation has a certificate attached. I called later and asked them to verify and yes my cat 6 certificate was attached to the reservation. One of the reps involved in the previous call did it but never told me about it. I am not sure what will happen at the check in time.
Sounds like a very messy audit trail should things turned out not right, i.e. at check in the property raises question on the cert that does not contain enough pts for the property that is for...
For those who prefer to push the edge of the envelope that may be a risk worth taking. For me being chicken little I dont want to be at the check in and being told, "hmmm. something does not seem right.." especially if this is at an international location where the management may not be accommodating or due to time zone difference, not able to sort this out with the reward program in US...
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:11 am

Cancelling 7 night reservation before 8/18 VS reservation after 8/18?

hi all, i hope we get all the answers what we want soon.

in the meantime i'm little confused on one thing

i currently made reservation for my cat 9 flight package. from my understanding,

1. make reservation before 8/18 and cancel after 8/18 to get "reduced" points
vs
2. keep my cat 9 and wait until it maps to new category

i think they will yield different points am i correct?
in other words if i cancel my current reservation after 8/18 would i be given same point to book newly mapped cat 9 -> ?? after 8/18?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Above post messed up!

1 Refund at the top will be 315 K.
2 If their agent said that can/will happen, I don't see why Marriott will back out !

3 180 K on Emirates F, from where to where ? My target is USA_India
You should read AS partner award charts first before making the TP redemption with your specific goal in mind.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/award-charts

Emirates is 150K ONE WAY in F between US and India / South Asia, or 82.5K ONE WAY in J on its mediocre business class.

AS has devalued EK redemption overnight probably more than 2 years ago under pressure from EK and the bleeding of cost on the AS side.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 17, 2018 at 11:44 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.