Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
For a properly attached Cat-8 TP, it should show a total points of 135,000, not 360,000 points. For Cat-9, it should show 165,000 points total.

Both bryan995 and FrustratedinCA's TPs are not attached the regular ways. But it does not say they are wrong, or as OssianBlue said, the TP is not attached.
it is a bad idea to put words in someone's mouth, especially when you don't understand what they are saying.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For a properly attached Cat-8 TP, it should show a total points of 135,000, not 360,000 points. For Cat-9, it should show 165,000 points total.

Both bryan995 and FrustratedinCA's TPs are not attached the regular ways. But it does not say they are wrong, or as OssianBlue said, the TP is not attached.
That is how it should look like.

The total of hotel point cost booked by TP is NOT going to match a pure point booking.

When I had a Cat 6 cert attached to a Cat 6 hotel (30K/night x 7), my booking showed a total of 75K pts, NOT 180K pts, despite the per night pts would show 30K and a 5th night free, but they do not add up to the total which is 75K.

If your cert is correctly attached, you will see the final total of the booking MATCHES with the surrendered value as we know it for that category - that is, 45K for 1-5, and add 30K each category up, incrementally. That would be the total pts you should see in your booking. Just ignore the details in each day's points which are only for pure point booking, not TP booking which is a bargain and to me, is where Marriott wants to create the biggest breakage, hence the secrecy and the no up or downgrade harsh policy.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by bryan995
I called in and booked my 7N TP a few days ago. This is what my account shows...Please remember to order e-certificate(s) once you earn the required points.
If you have not earned the required points 10 days prior to your reservation, customer support will contact you to discuss payment options.

Price shows as:
  • 280.32 + 240,000 points
Clicking order reward certificates results in an error ...
Was my TP attached correctly? Or do I need to call in before D-day?
I no longer have any idea what is going on... 1/2 of you say one thing and the other 1/2 say something else, ha.
Either way, calling in now to have them investigate and confirm everything is aok before the 18th.
cruisr likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:00 pm

I no longer have any idea what is going on... 1/2 of you say one thing and the other 1/2 say something else, ha.
Either way, calling in now to have them investigate and confirm everything is aok before the 18th.
Please let us know what you find out; I'm quite interested in how you can have a certificate supposedly attached and yet still need points to complete the reservation.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:01 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
That's the message with no TP attached.
Why would you say this? it is exactly the same language as when nothing is attached to the reservation.
Um, what? That looks like a correctly applied certificate. Not sure what you are getting at.
it is a bad idea to put words in someone's mouth, especially when you don't understand what they are saying.
Who put those words into your mouth. If you do not understand, just ask....
Bryan's TP is attached and you said no.
FrustratedinCA's TP shows the same way as Bryan's TP and you said that is attached.... Funny!
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:05 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Please let us know what you find out; I'm quite interested in how you can have a certificate supposedly attached and yet still need points to complete the reservation.
This is how my TP is attached. And I still need to deliver points. I figure you have not seen this before. And you said this is new data point. No, it is not.
Bryan's shows the same....
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:08 pm

Just called in.
The rep confirmed that the certificate was NOT attached. The rep from the other day just booked through points instead of using my certificate. Since I only have a balance of 120k, and did not have enough to cover the point-only booking price of 240k, nothing was deducted hence the message that I owned points blah blah.

Now that she has fixed it, my reservation shows as:This reservation has e-certificate(s).

Your Reward certificates will be sent to your hotel.

Thanks all - glad I double checked this before the big day.

The price now shows as 280.32 USD 360,000 Points, which is what I paid for my cat 8 TP (360k).

Last edited by bryan995; Aug 16, 2018 at 2:45 pm
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:10 pm

Just called in.
The rep confirmed that the certificate was NOT attached. The rep from the other day just booked through points without actually re-deeming any of my points.

Now that she has fixed it, my reservation shows as:

This reservation has e-certificate(s).

Excellent! Yes, that was the point I was making that this message:

"Please remember to order e-certificate(s) once you earn the required points.
If you have not earned the required points 10 days prior to your reservation, customer support will contact you to discuss payment options."

made it clear it was not attached.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:15 pm

This is how my TP is attached. And I still need to deliver points. I figure you have not seen this before. And you said this is new data point. No, it is not.
Bryan's shows the same....
And had he listened to you he would not have a reservation with a cert attached to it. Perhaps you ought to investigate your reservation as well.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Slightly off topic, but anyone having issues booking a single cat 1-5 cert (from chase or promos) online? It keeps booking the reservation as "points advance" and not attaching the e-cert..
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Just called in.
The rep confirmed that the certificate was NOT attached. The rep from the other day just booked through points instead of using my certificate. Since I only have a balance of 120k, and did not have enough to cover the point-only booking price of 240k, nothing was deducted hence the message that I owned points blah blah.

Now that she has fixed it, my reservation shows as:This reservation has e-certificate(s).

The price now shows as 280.32 USD 360,000 Points, which is what I paid for my cat 8 TP (360k).
Just to summarize:

- a correctly attached TP cert will mean the reservation will say "reservation has e-certificate(s)"
- the number of total points shows on a reservation with a TP cert attached will depend on whether the TP cert was ever upgraded/downgraded/extended:
- if yes, then it'll say 45K + 30K per category above Cat 5 (i.e. the "refund" value)
- if no, then it'll say 270K + 30K per category above Cat 5 (i.e. the total TP price)

EDIT: here's a few examples of the points shown on my actual reservations:

Cat 7 7-night stay (cert upgraded) - 105,000
Cat 1-5 14-night stay, with 2 certs (one cert renewed) - 315,000
Cat 7 7-night stay - 330,000
tonywush likes this.

Last edited by nabeelj; Aug 16, 2018 at 2:55 pm
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by nabeelj
Cat 7 7-night stay (cert upgraded) - 105,000
Cat 1-5 14-night stay, with 2 certs (one cert renewed) - 315,000
Cat 7 7-night stay - 330,000
Thanks for the real examples.
nabeelj likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA AA SPG HILTON AMTRAK
Smile

Just called in.

This is reassuring! I called to attach a Cat 8 certificate (that was purchased as Cat 8 and has never been upgraded or downgraded) to a hotel yesterday and mine shows exactly the same thing (280.32 USD 360,000 points) as yours

Last edited by mxhjustin; Aug 16, 2018 at 3:03 pm Reason: typos
Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:10 pm

and now this!?!

and now for the latest MR agent confusion...I have a MR agent talking with supervisor about the in house memos and Q&A's...take this for what you want, but she tells me that I should just keep my cat6 instead of upgrading, because post merger cat 6 will be bookable with current cat 6 certs.....after 30 minutes of chatting, researching, talking with supervisor she still interpreted it that way. I said if i had something in writing from a company rep that i could make a case with, in case that was not the case, and I should have upgraded to cat 8...she tried to find one. a supervisor helped her find something that according to her had the same gist, just not the exact verbage to confirm...and that supervisor said it was for in house agent help and not for public release....this would be a very generous solution from MR, but I'm thinking in my head why the 1 month delay...I said I felt safer to upgrade to a lvl 8 in case it took that to get the stay at the lvl8 hotels that will drop to lvl6 post merger, she said I could book the new cat 6 hotel with my lvl 8 cert but would not get refunded any points (so no downgrades)...so she was trying to save me some points..I used my last 540K to get 2 low end pkgs and stock up on airmiles,...which is the real value for the packages (even after southwest stopped allowing them for CP)....I doubt she had all the info, probably misinterpreted some of what she did have, but if by any chance she is right, everyone but the top tier cert holders that have to scramble for the limited availability post 9/18, should be very happy.

Last edited by wise2u; Aug 16, 2018 at 4:12 pm Reason: lots of cases, needed commas
Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
At this point, nobody should take what ANY CSR says seriously. I'd say 99.9% of them know as much as we do, which is next to nothing.
Happy, cruisr, Rusdude and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.