Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by brokenwindow
So.. I have two category 8 7-night package reward certificates in my account.

I'm trying to book a hotel for 7 nights, which is category 8. I dont see any option to use my certificate as payment for the 7 nights when booking an award stay. How exactly do you go about booking using your certificate?
you need to call in to book it.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Rusdude

Ask for a supervisor — the system to transfer over 50K has been down for awhile now but the way they got me 80K points was to transfer 50K normally and then supervisor manually added/removed 30K from respective accounts.

Please note that the rules only allow for over 50K transfer to be done for the purposes of making a reservation so, to be on the safe side, I made a booking that left me 80K points short and then called in to get the transfer done. Then cancelled reservation, points got refunded and called in later to book a TP.

Also, not every CSR is even aware that over 50K transfers are allowed so if you get pushback - try again.
No luck on a >50k spouse to spouse point transfer today for an award booking. System is definitely no longer available so any transfer > 50k would require convincing someone at Marriott to do this manually.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:45 am
kkl

The non upgradeable certs after d day is a huge let down
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by spgplat21
Can you not upgrade a category package to a tier package? I just called to do this and was told I could upgrade to Category 9, but not to Tier 1-3 or 4-5.
I've been told the same but a manager did an override when I claimed a rep told me I would be able to do so.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mster
No luck on a >50k spouse to spouse point transfer today for an award booking. System is definitely no longer available so any transfer > 50k would require convincing someone at Marriott to do this manually.
As I mentioned in my post, the system for over-60K transfers has been down for weeks. So I was able to do this only when a friendly rep asked a supervisor to do it — 50K transferred as normal and then the rest (30K for me) was done as a manual adjustment.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Shangri-la Gold, Taj Gold, Krisflyer Gold, BA Gold
Normal transfers

So normal 50k transfers are working?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:34 am

I called in and booked my 7N TP a few days ago. This is what my account shows...Please remember to order e-certificate(s) once you earn the required points.
If you have not earned the required points 10 days prior to your reservation, customer support will contact you to discuss payment options.

Price shows as:
  • 280.32 + 240,000 points
Clicking order reward certificates results in an error ...
Was my TP attached correctly? Or do I need to call in before D-day?

Last edited by bryan995; Aug 16, 2018 at 11:40 am
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:43 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by bryan995
I called in and booked my 7N TP a few days ago. This is what my account shows...Please remember to order e-certificate(s) once you earn the required points.
If you have not earned the required points 10 days prior to your reservation, customer support will contact you to discuss payment options.

Price shows as:
Yes, your certificate is attached. But if you do not, or won't get enough points to complete the booking at the reservation deadline, your reservation will be cancelled.

Good luck with it.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
Many pages ago someone was told the same as you are told, so she redeemed from her husband's account to her own UA account. The eventual outcome? the transfer was NOT going thru, rejected by UA with the apparent reason. She had to redo the whole thing.
If you want to read the actual posts, it would be over a week or even more ago that was reported. (several posts from the initial attempt to the eventual re-do.)

Good luck if you still want to try with mismatched names.
Ended up redeeming a package from her Marriott account to my UA account anyway, since I didn't really have any other options. Miles posted to UA today, within 24 hours of booking the package
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by RedSun
Yes, your certificate is attached. But if you do not, or won't get enough points to complete the booking at the reservation deadline, your reservation will be cancelled.
Enough points? The TP is supposed to cover the full cost, no? I've already redeemed the 360k points for this TP?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:54 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Enough points? The TP is supposed to cover the full cost, no? I've already redeemed the 360k points for this TP?
You redeemed 360,000 MRs for a Cat-8 7-night package with airline miles. The main or key component of the travel package is actually the airline miles. The MR cost allocation for the 7-night hotel is only 135,000 MRs. Your certificate is attached to a property that is costing more than the Cat-8 40,000 MRs rate.

You need to get ready to deliver more MR points for the stay. You need to check how much more MR you need, may be 10,000 MR/night to a total of 60,000 MRs or 70,000 MRs. The upgrade does not get the free night. If you do not get the points handy, your reservation will be cancelled and your certificate returned.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by spgplat21
Can you not upgrade a category package to a tier package? I just called to do this and was told I could upgrade to Category 9, but not to Tier 1-3 or 4-5.
I was able to upgrade a CAT 1-5 to a Tier 1-3 several days ago. The phone agent had to call her help desk but it went smoothly.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shutter41
Ended up redeeming a package from her Marriott account to my UA account anyway, since I didn't really have any other options. Miles posted to UA today, within 24 hours of booking the package
Good for you that works out but not for the previous poster.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
You redeemed 360,000 MRs for a Cat-8 7-night package with airline miles. The main or key component of the travel package is actually the airline miles. The MR cost allocation for the 7-night hotel is only 135,000 MRs. Your certificate is attached to a property that is costing more than the Cat-8 40,000 MRs rate.News

You need to get ready to deliver more MR points for the stay. You need to check how much more MR you need, may be 10,000 MR/night to a total of 60,000 MRs or 70,000 MRs. The upgrade does not get the free night. If you do not get the points handy, your reservation will be cancelled and your certificate returned.
Yikes, this is news to me, seems like a very strange system. If the hotel is costing 240,000+40,000 for the free night, and the allocation is 135,000, then I suppose I will owe 145,000?

Making this hotel + airline points costing 360,000+145,000? 505,000?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond

Price shows as:
This is what a reservation of mine with an attached 7-night Cat 7 cert looks like:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.