Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Not so sure about that. I cancelled a res and upgraded the cert immediately this weekend; cert has a new expiration date of Aug 10.
It is reportedly there is a big internal memo distributed to the reps today.

Yours was done on Weekend Aug 10. Today is Aug 13. With things now coming down the wire I am not sure information on the weekend or Friday which was August 10, the date of issuance of your cert, are even relevant.

If you have read my long post regarding the experiences I had this morning, you would read about the rep I got this morning initially reissued new cert with Aug 13 date but he took the trouble to IMMEDIATELY canceled it and redid one backdated to June 1st. If he is not being told to pay attention of keeping the original expiration date, I doubt he would go back to fix his inadvertent mistake which would not have been a mistake based on the usual practice, but apparently the unofficial extension mechanism is now being stopped.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Happy

If you have read my long post regarding the experiences... but apparently the unofficial extension mechanism is now being stopped.
With an N = 1.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azepine00
i upgraded yesterday and expiry reset.
everything now is ymmv until formally announced by marriott
Mine is not an upgrade, it is a detachment, or a cancellation of an existing award booking using the cert. The original upgrade date was June 1st. The rep took the trouble to cancel the reissued Aug 13th cert the minute he issued it as the 2 emails that came hours later at almost 1:30pm - one redemption one cancellation, has the same time stamp, not a minute difference. After that he reissued another cert with backdating. I never receive an email on that one but the cert finally shows up in my account when I checked at about 9:30pm EST.

Why would he take the trouble to cancel the cert issued with today's date and then reissue a cert that is backdated? The 3rd rep I talked to, said to me that "it looks like he returned the original cert to you." But it isn't the original cert because the number is different.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dsquared37
With an N = 1.
Because it takes a more careful rep to actually remember what they are told to do as from today. Being doing things the old way for so many times, it is hard for them to remember what they have to change their ways of doing things starting today.

Though the argument we have here is actually not much meaningful as whatever it is, the time left to still tweak whatever one wants to tweak, is not much. Marriott already sent out emails that system would be sporadically down starting on the 15th, 3 days before the lock down begins.

I bet that email has pushed many finally sprang to action - I got a busy signal trying to call Australia (actually it is in Malaysia), and then have to wait when calling China. Those 2 numbers have reps picking up the call less than 2 min just a few nights ago before weekend came.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:55 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I'm getting lost with all the changes....
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Talking to reps is like talking to one another here, unclear and in different directions. The amount of memos the call center reps have been getting related to this merger has been absurd (just ask them!), and from the times I've called about various reservations and added an inquiry about this, I've gotten a different answer every time. We'll know when we know, I guess...
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by DelAbbot
Hi I'm in the same boat. I have a Cat6 7-night MTP attached to Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach for last week of June 2019, which is currently 30K, but going down to 25K after Aug 18. I just called them to detach my Cat6 7-night MTP (kept it at Cat6, and kept the hotel reservation), with plan to re-book the reservation and re-attach my MTP after Sept 18 and get 30K points back.

However, I realized that I may have made a mistake. My reservation is in June 2019, which subject to On-Peak and Off-Peak pricing. Did I shot myself in the foot?
I called the 1-800-321-7396 number 30 mins with one rep then asked for a supervisor and another 40 mins with supervisor. No one can confirm whether my reservation for June 2019 will be subject to On-Peak / Off-Peak pricing or not.

Maybe I should just re-attach the 7-night Cat6 back to it, despite it dropping to 25K after Aug 18, to avoid potentially running into the On-Peak and Off-Peak pricing issues.

Last edited by DelAbbot; Aug 13, 2018 at 10:12 pm
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
on/off peak pricing only comes into effect for bookings made NEXT year. Until then, it's all standard pricing. Doesn't matter if the reservation is for June 2019.

"
  • On August 18, standard redemption rates for hotel Categories 1-7 will go live. Peak, off-peak and Category 8 redemption rates will be introduced in early 2019."
So if you're planning to book for June 2019 - as long as you attach before January, there's no on/off peak pricing.
tonywush and DelAbbot like this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
I would totally detach that cert and let it ride. That's what I am doing, actually, for the exact same situation (40K - 35K for Residence Inn Midtown East). Planning on 60K to upgrade from the new 1-4 to a 5.
so net 30k more (30 K refund + 30K new)?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by ddjen11
so net 30k more (30 K refund + 30K new)?
I actually had a Cat 8 before the properties were mapped to the new categories, which is its current category. Got it refunded, used the 90K difference for a another 1-5.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:41 am

I have 240k points. Is there anything with regards to travel packages I should try to take advantage of before Aug 17?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:51 am

One last question from me, and I'm probably way over thinking it.... I have 540K points. We're considering going to Hawaii or the Westin in northern Costa Rica. Both would be higher Cat properties. Think I'm better off just straight up buying 1x T5 with max'd miles, so I'm covered for whoever the properties land in the new chart? Or is there any way to buy 2x Cat 1-5 certs, getting double the miles, and then cash one certificate out after the merge to upgrade the other one?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
By intentionally withholding information about how Travel Package certificates will be converted until it's too late to act on the information, Marriott is being really SHADY and DISHONEST. I no longer trust Marriott to do the right thing.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:15 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by jrey
How did you get to this one? What did you downgrade from? My P510 says it is worth 10,000 Points only.
Called 3 weeks ago to get a 5-night package, was placed on long hold, and then disconnected before I was able to provide my airline FF number Lo and behold, the 5-nights showed up and they deducted 30K points from my account. Called back to get the miles but no dice. They allowed me to keep the 5-nights for 30K points which I think it's a bargain for category 1-5 properties. Valuation-wise this amounts to around $50 per night in some really nice properties and with my Platinum benefits, it's a real bargain.
tonywush likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:38 am

Is there any property that increases from current category 8 to new category 7? I know about the cat 9 Domes of Elounda going to new cat 8, but I don't have enough points for a 9 right now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.