Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriott (Plat)
Smile How do 7-night certs apply to >7 night stays?

Apologies for what might be a newbie question, but suffer a lost SPG soul, would you?

How do the 7-night certs bought with points via the travel packages work if the stay is longer than 7 nights? I have a 10-day stay upcoming with the family, and I'd like to attach the cert. Wondering how that might change my average points per night given that I'm currently benefiting from the 5th night free x 2.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dgstage
I just upgrade a Cat 8 travel package to Cat 9. In my account they showed a refund of 135,000 for cat 8 an a deduction of 165,000 for cat 9 vs the old 240,000 an 270,000. Looks like we may take a heavy hit.
Never seen this before.
You have NOT taken any hit. You just forgot the bulk part of your package has already gone to the Airline Miles. You dont seriously think you should receive back the full value of the package, do you? I really cannot understand why people all seem to conveniently forget their airline miles received is also part of the TP, and actually a big part of it in the old structure.

What you are seeing is the basic 45K for the Cat 1 to 5 cert surrendered value + 30K on each Category that you upgraded. So to Cat 8, you add 30K each for Cat 6, 7, and 8 = 90K more to the 45K that gives you 135K that you see being returned, and then add an additional 30K to become 165K that you upgraded to, Cat 9.
BTW, the Certificate you see would contain the word "Partial" in it - to correctly denote this is a Partial part of the Full TP with the other Partial part being the miles.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 13, 2018 at 1:55 pm
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by FlyertalkST
Apologies for what might be a newbie question, but suffer a lost SPG soul, would you?

How do the 7-night certs bought with points via the travel packages work if the stay is longer than 7 nights? I have a 10-day stay upcoming with the family, and I'd like to attach the cert. Wondering how that might change my average points per night given that I'm currently benefiting from the 5th night free x 2.
Not sure if 7-night certificate&miles + 3-night point redemption (or 3 cash nights) compares to 10 (well, 8 with 2 free ones) nights of points, that's probably a decision only you can make. Shouldn't be an issue staying in the same room though as long as you let the property know, if that's what you're worried about.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond

As far as I know, you would need to use the Travel Package plus 3 individual award nights to cover 10 nights. Or save the TP for later and redeem two 5-night awards. I do not believe there is a way to collect a 2nd free night by using a TP plus two individual night awards.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
My attached certificate now.. it is a cat 6 which is attached to a hotel in Bangkok. It is going down to a cat 4 after the 18th. I am not traveling until November. Do you guys think I should unattach or leave attached?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by shutter41
I understood that they usually only let you extend 1 year, which (as noted in my post) I already did this past January. Are you suggesting that they'll let you extend the certificate indefinitely?
I just successfully extended a year (my second time) with a call to UK call centre (was declined request to buy a 5-day TP).
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:13 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I'm sitting tight with my TPs, fully booked with the hotels I plan to stay. There is only one Cat-6 TP that is attached for speculative purpose. Whatever happens if fine with me.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zerodegre
My attached certificate now.. it is a cat 6 which is attached to a hotel in Bangkok. It is going down to a cat 4 after the 18th. I am not traveling until November. Do you guys think I should unattach or leave attached?
There are a few of us in the same situation including myself. I unattached and actually cancelled the existing booking. Will rebook after Sept 19 as a Cat 4 property.

If you leave it attached, you would need to call Marriott after Sept 18, to get the 30K pts refund back. My imagination is, that is more complicated to do versus a clean break now.
Based on the new information I believe the only situation that attached cert would be advantageous is that the hotel per night point level would go up, and you for sure would stay at that property for that chosen period. Remember Marriott always honor the bookings based on old point levels as long as the bookings are not changed at all. Any change would void the old booking with lower point level.
There is no reason to make spec bookings on upgraded categories if what has transpired now eventually becomes reality.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriott (Plat)
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Not sure if 7-night certificate&miles + 3-night point redemption (or 3 cash nights) compares to 10 (well, 8 with 2 free ones) nights of points, that's probably a decision only you can make. Shouldn't be an issue staying in the same room though as long as you let the property know, if that's what you're worried about.
Yeah, not too worried about staying in the room, I assume any competent property FD can handle that. And the one I get stuck with may be ok too!

Was just curious if the 7 nights covered by the cert are covering at the "average" for the 10 night stay or if they cover your first 7, and then you're adding 3. At 45k/night w/ 2 free nights, the 10 night avg is 36k, so it's a decent point savings if they pay the average vs. paying first. I think the package is still worthwhile (at least before Aug 18th changes the math).
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
Friend just tried several times and marriott not budging on cancelling/refunding the 45k pts (for cat1-5 cert). I would say you should try nonetheless and this is a "YMMV" case but yeah... not good
Just book a hotel and cancel it. I've annoyingly had it refund me the points 2x in the last two weeks when doing it myself. Called in a third time to have the agent do it so I wouldn't need to call in and get the cert reissued but even the agent messed up and it gave me back the points and then I had to call to get it reinstated. Doesn't always occur and I am not sure what causes it but seems to happen often for me.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

New emails just hitting our inbox - system will become sporadically down starting Aug 15th - it would affect ALL functions.

Manage your account and reservations before planned, temporary disruptions starting August 15.While we work to launch our new combined program on August 18, our booking and loyalty systems, sites and Mobile app will be offline for several hours intermittently between August 15 and August 19.
During this period, you may experience disruptions with:
• Contacting Member Support
• Making a new reservation
• Managing an existing reservation
• Accessing or updating your account
• Using our Mobile app
• Using pointsIf you need to manage your account or access upcoming reservations, please do so as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:28 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I printed all upcoming reservations on paper, both Marriott and SPG. Who knows what is going to happen.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Yeah, not too worried about staying in the room, I assume any competent property FD can handle that. And the one I get stuck with may be ok too!

Was just curious if the 7 nights covered by the cert are covering at the "average" for the 10 night stay or if they cover your first 7, and then you're adding 3. At 45k/night w/ 2 free nights, the 10 night avg is 36k, so it's a decent point savings if they pay the average vs. paying first. I think the package is still worthwhile (at least before Aug 18th changes the math).
The 7 cover for 7, anything else is up to you and a "separate reservation", so to speak. So you'd be adding three, whether with points or cash - neither of them free. If you stayed 12 nights total and paid with 7-night cert &5-night points, one of those nights would be free.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: Marriott - Titanium, AA - Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
We dont know whether the extension benefit will still exist or not.

Below is my experiences today on doing a simple detachment and reward booking cancellation - that turned into a very time consuming follow up with 2 lengthy hold time calls to finally semi-assure that things are done right.

Take away is, ALWAYS ask the rep to give you the New Cert Number and an email confirmation of the event.

On the 3rd call the rep found the Cat 6 cert issued this morning from the canceled reservation but the date of issuance is backdated to June 1st when I upgraded the original Cat 5 to 6 and then attached to the reservation. That might be why the 2nd rep could not find it and went to hunt for it but the time lapse was so long the phone eventually disconnected after putting me on hold for over 30 min...

3rd rep did not put me on hold so we had long pause of silence while she was going thru the account - she found an unused Cat 6 cert and gave me the cert number which does not match with anything I have in my records. She said she tried to order a new Cat 6 cert, the system return her the same number of the cert that has June 1st issuance date - so she presumed it was the original cert returned. In reality it isn't. Rather it is freshly ordered by the 1st rep who decided he needed to backdate the cert to the time when I upgraded the Cat 5 so the expiration date would not be extended further I assume?

Even more strange, while we were talking, 2 emails came to my inbox - one was the ordering of a new Cat 6 cert, one was the cancellation of the very same Cat 6 cert - the last 4 digits of the cert does NOT match with the current unused Cat 6 cert bearing a June 1st date the 3rd rep has found. I have no idea whether is the result from the 2nd rep who said she would resend me the canceled reservation email which still has not come yet but is viewable online as canceled. I have made a screen shot of it just in case as I believe the canceled reservations would drop off after a while. May be the 2nd rep also has resent me the emails related to the "redeem" and "cancel" of the Cat 6 cert with today's date Aug 13, that finally come in with almost an hour delay.

Still have not receive the email on the "redeem" of the backdated Cat 6 cert.

Looking at the confirmation emails both show Aug 13 as the date of redemption and the date of cancellation, I believe the 1st rep detached the Cat 6 cert then canceled it because he felt the returned Cat 6 cert should bear the same issuance date of June 1st. He then issued another Cat 6 cert to back date it to the original June 1st date when I upgraded the Cat 5.

Though many reps would not pay attention or care about this discrepancy on the dates as many have said when you upgrade / downgrade, detaching, your cert starts a new year from the date such event happens. This rep decides he needs to correct the date, so he went thru the motion of issuing and backdating the returned Cat 6 cert which the 3rd rep finally finds it. Most likely it is because of the back date June 1st, the 2nd rep is very confused on what has happened. The 3rd rep actually told me she needed to "think through it" when she went silent but not put me on hold for the music. She said despite "they" dont like reps not talking to the customers for long stretch but she prefers to NOT put customer on hold that often can cause disconnect. Rather she would let the line be silent while she thinks thru the issues...

So, for those of you who have to do what I have done - be sure to get the Cert Number of your returned Cert - this way you can compare with the previous records and know for sure a Cert has returned (reissued) back to your account even though you still not see it online.

I still do not see the unused Cat 6 cert in my account but with the cert number the 3rd rep gave to me and her assurance this IS the cert issued by the 1st rep after canceling the Cat 6 booking, I feel more comfortable now and hope this returned Cat 6 cert would show up tomorrow.
Hey Happy: Guess you not very Happy.... Thanks for the suggestions and advice. This is turning into quite a debacle. I will wait to cancel the Res and get the Cat 6 back as 30k points plus new cat 1-4. Sorry you had to spend so much time.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
I printed all upcoming reservations on paper, both Marriott and SPG. Who knows what is going to happen.
And screen prints just in case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.