Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:04 am

I attached a 7 night travel certificate to a reservation at the end of August. Does anyone know if I will be able to cancel this reservation after August 18th and keep my travel certificate?

I'm still finalizing my trip, and was counting on the flexibility we usually have to cancel reservations all of the way up to the reservation date. However, it's unclear if this will be possible given this week's e-mail from Marriott.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Looks like Marriott IT at its best again with all of these bogus 'certificate not attached' Emails. They already have enough call wait time right now ... oh what a joy.
jrey likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by joshua362
I got the email and have one Cat 5 unattached. *Our New Travel Packages will launch with our new loyalty program on 8/18/18. Certificates purchased on or after 8/18 are able to be used immediately. For certificates purchased prior to 8/18, we are working to convert your package and it will be available based on the new converted values on September 18, 2018.
So is the fear of only getting a nominal point refund (like 45,000) gone (if unattached) ?

Is it likely they'll convert it to a 7 day stay at an obviously downgraded value? Perhaps down 1 cat?

Since they took the time & effort to think about the certs in limbo, would it have killed them to disclose what they are thinking?

Jesus Horatio Christ!
They literally had not figured out yet how to do it as of a few days ago (and it sounds like flying by the seat of their pants), according to Mr. Marriott's office. I posted here a few days ago how they told me they would be handling it, but they still had not worked out the details as to how exactly they would map it. I think there were too many other fires to put out there and travel packages had not yet become the biggest fire, but was slowly growing into one, so they decided to at least put this much out there.

For those who are holding onto certificates of a different category hotel than are hoping to stay in post-change, make whatever adjustments you need to right now to attach the certificate (e.g. if the hotel you want is a cat 6 and you are holding 1-5 because it is moving down to a 5 later this month, upgrade to the 6 now and attach it).

If you are unable to do so by August 18 (as a week and change is not a lot of time for this warning) and if you were given incorrect guidance as to which category to purchase by the Marriott rewards agents multiple times (remember that Marriott records calls and can go back and listen to them so you can have that documentation that you were given incorrect information as to which package to get for X hotel), you might email Mr. Marriott's office and argue your case.

For those who are in one of those limbo categories where the points don't match up exactly to the new TP points values, you might also email Mr. Marriott's office and argue your case.

[email protected]

I continue to believe many of these will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Marriott is very aware that they are way behind on getting information out there, and they are becoming more aware that their agents are providing inconsistent and mostly incorrect information. The more they are reminded of this, I believe the more fair they will be about settling up with their valued members that want to use these stays.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by musicscrip

We have 2 young children 1 and 3 so the 7 night packages have been our go to when we want to redeem our Marriott pt. We have done 7 nights on Mauna Kea Beach hotel cat 9 on Big Island, Marriott Osaka Miyako in Japan cat 7 back then and London Park Lane Marriott. Next year, we will be doing 7 nights at Ritz Kyoto Japan, 7 nights at JW Marriott Van Canada (yes, this is our 3rd time in Van) and 5 nights at Dolphin Disney world Florida.

We find 7 nights just enough for us since first day and last day is just chilling/packing/unpacking especially with two kids. We enjoyed the pool every night at Park Lane London and loved everyday at the beach at Mauna Kea Beach Hotel!

I honestly don't understand why ppl can't stay at the same hotel for 7 nights. My parents who are healthy and in their 60s and always travel with us and find 7 nights is just enough!
yes, with small kids that is reasonable. I guess it's what stage in life you are. In my 50's now and my wife and I like to see as many things as possible on our vacations now, not just "hanging out" by a pool or beach, even it's luxurious. In our younger days with kids, no way could we do what we do now.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Traveler56789
I attached a 7 night travel certificate to a reservation at the end of August. Does anyone know if I will be able to cancel this reservation after August 18th and keep my travel certificate?

I'm still finalizing my trip, and was counting on the flexibility we usually have to cancel reservations all of the way up to the reservation date. However, it's unclear if this will be possible given this week's e-mail from Marriott.
You will not. They plan to be rather inflexible with the legacy certificates and any changes will convert it to a new certificate. I think this helps just get them out of their hair more quickly. If you need to make any changes, make them now on your best estimate of what you can do, and try as much as possible to stick to those plans so you don't have to change anything on the certificate which converts it.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by FlightBOS
One of the more popular redemptions in this thread has been Domes of Elounda in Crete, Greece. Seven nights in a one-bedroom "family" (two sofa beds, instead of one) suite, choice of garden or sea view (guess which one I picked...) and a private outdoor jacuzzi?

I know its not everyone's cup-of-tea, but I think its hard to argue 900sqft and $800/night of value isn't worth considering (https://domesofelounda.com/family-suite/). And that's not even taking into account the airline miles, which can be redeemed for > $20k in F tickets. All for 390k MR / 130k SPG.
Yeah, I ended up buying a fourth package for this just because I could not pass up the amazing deal for the opportunity to stay at this property that I likely would not stay at otherwise. We chose the premium suite instead of family suite because it was the same square footage and there will only be two of us. Other than that, they looked the same to me - do you know if there is any other difference?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by sinfonia
Yeah, I ended up buying a fourth package for this just because I could not pass up the amazing deal for the opportunity to stay at this property that I likely would not stay at otherwise. We chose the premium suite instead of family suite because it was the same square footage and there will only be two of us. Other than that, they looked the same to me - do you know if there is any other difference?
would you stay on the island the entire time?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:52 am

They plan to be rather inflexible with the legacy certificates and any changes will convert it to a new certificate.
I guess I am not sure why this is a bad thing. Worst case would be a legacy certificate that was stuck at a certain level and could not be modified. If it turns into a new one that you can adjust as necessary that's not a bad outcome.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by theplayer
would you stay on the island the entire time?
Good question. I'm not sure yet. I have not done the research to see how long it takes to get from Crete to another nearby island. I know the ferry travel there is slow getting around, but if we could do a day trip (even an overnight trip) to one of the other islands without taking a whole night or day for passage, then we might just use the whole seven days there on Crete but also pay for a night or two on another nearby island.

From what I have read, however, there is plenty to do on Crete to keep one there for seven days. I can easily do a day or two of laying around, but I need things to do (especially historical sites and cultural events), and it sounds like there is still plenty to do on Crete.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 11:09 am

Good question. I'm not sure yet. I have not done the research to see how long it takes to get from Crete to another nearby island. I know the ferry travel there is slow getting around, but if we could do a day trip (even an overnight trip) to one of the other islands without taking a whole night or day for passage, then we might just use the whole seven days there on Crete but also pay for a night or two on another nearby island.

From what I have read, however, there is plenty to do on Crete to keep one there for seven days. I can easily do a day or two of laying around, but I need things to do (especially historical sites and cultural events), and it sounds like there is still plenty to do on Crete.
this does sound tempting...thinking about booking 4 nights(Stay 5) We were thinking Malta, Sicily for this Feb, but this sounds too good to pass up with the huge devaluation coming, so might add this to the itinerary.
For those that have stayed here, what's the best airline to get there? We usually fly Bos-Dub using only 26k Avios on Aer lingus...but Dub-to Crete no good options. Malta-Crete, same.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
I guess I am not sure why this is a bad thing. Worst case would be a legacy certificate that was stuck at a certain level and could not be modified. If it turns into a new one that you can adjust as necessary that's not a bad outcome.
I agree that in many cases (e.g. - you hold a cat 1-5 cert and it converts to 1-4 and you want to stay at a cat 4 hotel), it is not a bad thing at all. In certain cases where a hotel does not map to the category one thought it might land, or for those floating certificates, or for people like me whose plans change quite a bit and need to tweak dates, it could be problematic because now the TP holder has to purchase the upgrade based on the new TP pricing structure which is higher. If you are holding let's say a cat 6 certificate now and floating it with no travel plans in mind, or if you change your mind and decide you want to stay somewhere else, and you decide you would like to use it for a new cat 6, your travel certificate will have converted to something lower, so now you have to purchase an upgrade to cat 6, so instead of having purchased this 7 night stay + 80/120/132K miles for 300K, you will now be spending 210K more.

Let's say you have a cat 1-5 certificate and some family/work/life matter happens and you need to adjust the dates post-Aug 18. If your intention was to use it at a current category 5 hotel, most category 5 hotels do go down to 4, but for those hotels that do not go down, that would force you to have to upgrade at the higher pricing structure.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: UA Silver, MR Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by rny321
Changing the category should extend the expiration of the hotel partial package to one year from the date of change. If you were thinking of staying in a current Category 6 and have 30K in points in your account, it might make sense if the option is still available to upgrade your current package. I was told yesterday that the system is blocking category changes, but on a later call I made the desired revisions.
I think the old certs are in a different system. I downgraded yesterday and the rep told me that she had to cancel it in the old system and create the new cert in the new system. Worked perfectly. For what it is worth, the new cert she created is worded completely different in my account than the other ones.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uibd
I think the old certs are in a different system. I downgraded yesterday and the rep told me that she had to cancel it in the old system and create the new cert in the new system. Worked perfectly. For what it is worth, the new cert she created is worded completely different in my account than the other ones.
what is the difference?
redeeming is the same until 8/18 with same t&c
Old Aug 11, 2018, 11:32 am

it could be problematic because now the TP holder has to purchase the upgrade based on the new TP pricing structure which is higher. If you are holding let's say a cat 6 certificate now and floating it with no travel plans in mind, or if you change your mind and decide you want to stay somewhere else, and you decide you would like to use it for a new cat 6, your travel certificate will have converted to something lower, so now you have to purchase an upgrade to cat 6, so instead of having purchased this 7 night stay + 80/120/132K miles for 300K, you will now be spending 210K more.
But it isn't higher. The Cat 6 old isn't a cat 6 new. The old is getting you into a hotel that costs 30K points a night while the new is for 50K points per night.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 11:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by uibd
This perhaps provides a window into why the pre-August 18 certs are being blocked from being applied for a month after new program launch — IT challenges. It also provides a window into which kind of customers Marriott is very willing to burn.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.