Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by theplayer
ok..not trying to be snarky, but what is the allure of the 7 day packages? I get it's good value, but where are people going that they would want to stay at the same location for 7 nights? I can't see this as option to say Europe. Too much to see over multiple countries to want to stay in one location for 7 nights. Hawaii maybe?
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
Post conversion, 60,000 marriott points will get you 25,000 miles, so 270,000 (assuming you could actually do this 4.5 times) would get your 112,500 miles. The current package gets your 120,000 for 270,000 points, so even if you throw away the stay, you are still getting a better deal. If you planned to use your marriott points for hotels, no, it doesn't make sense to get the packages.
Ultimately, its personal preference. That said, there are a number of incredible options out there, offering some insane values.

One of the more popular redemptions in this thread has been Domes of Elounda in Crete, Greece. Seven nights in a one-bedroom "family" (two sofa beds, instead of one) suite, choice of garden or sea view (guess which one I picked...) and a private outdoor jacuzzi?

I know its not everyone's cup-of-tea, but I think its hard to argue 900sqft and $800/night of value isn't worth considering (https://domesofelounda.com/family-suite/). And that's not even taking into account the airline miles, which can be redeemed for > $20k in F tickets. All for 390k MR / 130k SPG.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:12 pm

ok..not trying to be snarky, but what is the allure of the 7 day packages? I get it's good value, but where are people going that they would want to stay at the same location for 7 nights? I can't see this as option to say Europe. Too much to see over multiple countries to want to stay in one location for 7 nights. Hawaii maybe?
We have 2 young children 1 and 3 so the 7 night packages have been our go to when we want to redeem our Marriott pt. We have done 7 nights on Mauna Kea Beach hotel cat 9 on Big Island, Marriott Osaka Miyako in Japan cat 7 back then and London Park Lane Marriott. Next year, we will be doing 7 nights at Ritz Kyoto Japan, 7 nights at JW Marriott Van Canada (yes, this is our 3rd time in Van) and 5 nights at Dolphin Disney world Florida.

We find 7 nights just enough for us since first day and last day is just chilling/packing/unpacking especially with two kids. We enjoyed the pool every night at Park Lane London and loved everyday at the beach at Mauna Kea Beach Hotel!

I honestly don't understand why ppl can't stay at the same hotel for 7 nights. My parents who are healthy and in their 60s and always travel with us and find 7 nights is just enough!
cruisr likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:27 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
I got the email too, but my certs were attached at time of booking, as per the email confirmations.

How are you guys checking this on the website? I can't even log in and can't pull up the res due to the below message on marriott.com:

"This service is temporarily unavailable. But don't worry, we're on it. Please try again later."

I do see the res on the app, but I don't think there is a way to check if a cert is attached on the app.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by Willbur
I think it'd make a lot more sense to have them converting to travel packages similar to the ones they will already be selling rather than having a completely separate type of package just for the legacy certs. The new ones are pricing out within category bands and factoring in peak pricing so I'd expect these to fall within those lines otherwise they become difficult to use.
On the other hand they could use the time to lock down new code to keep these certificates exactly as they are, and not allow the system to extend them. Get them off the books in one year especially for those buying 5+ certificates. Not that I think it likely, just another level of guessing what Marriott is thinking
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:16 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
got the email - had checked a few days ago and all certs WERE attached. Maybe poor programming and just sent to everyone - attached or not?
Certainly not what they need with the lines already overburdened having people call in to check something unnecessarily
Old Aug 11, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by estnet
Not everyone is young and "on the move" plus there is plenty to see/experience in Paris or Bangkok or............. for 7 days. Different strokes for different folks!
Agreed. If you can make it to Asia, then there are plenty of nice 7-day stay options from which you can base yourself for some nice quick day trips or even an overnight trip or two.
I plan to use my currently unattached certs in either Thailand, Taiwan, or maybe even South Africa.
I'm not too worried about what happens with the match from old to new categories. I'll roll with the punches.
cruisr likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:04 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Different strokes... as you noted, too much to see, therefore I would much rather spend the 7 nights in a country I am visiting for the first time, slow down and immerse myself in the culture. Afterall, I am on vacation.
cruisr and osotoc like this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:51 am

I received that email about my unattached certificate even though it was already attached.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
I also got the email even though I redeemed 3 TPs and attached all 3 hotel certs. I have stays coming up in September and November and next March.

Logged on to Marriott.com and all upcoming reservations show certs still attached.

Last edited by gardener; Aug 13, 2018 at 4:57 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by osotoc
Agreed. If you can make it to Asia, then there are plenty of nice 7-day stay options from which you can base yourself for some nice quick day trips or even an overnight trip or two.
I plan to use my currently unattached certs in either Thailand, Taiwan, or maybe even South Africa.
I'm not too worried about what happens with the match from old to new categories. I'll roll with the punches.
May I suggest Courtyard Taipei? We just finished our stay there and absolutely love it (love it more than London Park Lane which we stayed at a week ago)

We are gold/plat so we got free lounge access at Courtyard Taipei and we had the option to have breakfast in the sunrise restuarant which was over the top for what we paid for the room. I believe it will only cost you 10000 Marriott pt per night after Aug 18th if you book off peak.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
One simple way to look at it is to decide how one values MR points vs. preferred airline miles. Although it varies by airline, I start with a ratio of 2:1 for points to miles. To be clear, those using ratios other than 2:1 would calculate the value of travel packages differently.

If a customer redeems a 270K miles for a Cat 1-5 package with 120K miles, using a 2:1 ratio the miles are worth 240 MR points. I expect that people accumulating enough miles for a travel package can find more than 30K in value from a hotel portion valued at up to 25K per night.

Under the new rules, if someone redeems a 330K miles for a Cat 1-4 package with 100K miles, using a 2:1 ratio the miles are worth 200 MR points. In order to make sense, a customer would need to find 130K in value from the hotel portion valued at up to 30K per night. Since the fifth award night is normally free, it isn't until the 6th night of a Cat 4 peak stay or the 7th night of a standard stay, that one benefits from a travel package.

I will skip the calculation and simply state that my valuation of travel packages is less than the above analysis might indicate, because I normally stay 5 nights and not 7. For example, someone who normally stays 5 nights would utilize the free night 7 times over 35 days. Since travel packages for most people are for 7 nights, 35 nights of stays would only provide 5 free nights.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:57 am

I have a 7 night certificate that was extended for one year and it currently shows as below:

Rewards Certificate P830 PARTIAL PKG-CAT 1-5 - 45,000 Points Expires 09/18/2018

I was waiting until after Aug 18 to book something but since nothing can be booked from Aug 18 to Sept 18, and my certificate expires on Sept 18, what would be the recommended option? Is it possible that my certificate will effectively expire after Aug 18 since the expiry date of the certificate is during the black out period? If so, this seems very unfair.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Slow travelers. While that tends to not be my innate traveling style, I have found that I have appreciated the areas I have been more when traveling more slowly through it. Based on the advice a FTer Perche who is all things Italy here and others, I slowed down my Italy itinerary and we ended up staying in Florence for 7 nights instead of the original 2 nights that were planned, and we couldn't have been more glad that we followed that advice. Florence still would have been beautiful and fascinating with only two nights, but 7 nights took the rush off so that we could slow down and enjoy each thing instead of packing everything in each day.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:33 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Peter3000
I have a 7 night certificate that was extended for one year and it currently shows as below:

I was waiting until after Aug 18 to book something but since nothing can be booked from Aug 18 to Sept 18, and my certificate expires on Sept 18, what would be the recommended option? Is it possible that my certificate will effectively expire after Aug 18 since the expiry date of the certificate is during the black out period? If so, this seems very unfair.
Some may say that since you know this is happening you should make plans to use it sooner than later. But I’m sure there are others who will be caught completely flat-footed, and I wonder how Marriott will deal with that. My guess is that they just extend expiration periods by a month or so for some or all of the TP certs.

Will the credit card related certs also be blocked from being applied between August 18-September 18?

I am wondering what potential litigation liability considerations Marriott has considered when it comes to the night certs and this program change. Marriott Vacation Club and credit card-related certificate angles should have also been in the picture, right?

This would be a whole lot easier if they just did a fixed point conversion rate for each of the nights on the TP and credit card related carts, but then Marriotts cost savings from program integration and program changes would be way less than Marriott HQ is expected to deliver to the shareholders/financial markets.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 11, 2018 at 9:41 am
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by Peter3000

Changing the category should extend the expiration of the hotel partial package to one year from the date of change. If you were thinking of staying in a current Category 6 and have 30K in points in your account, it might make sense if the option is still available to upgrade your current package. I was told yesterday that the system is blocking category changes, but on a later call I made the desired revisions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.