Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cmatthews11
Hard to keep track of everything on here... so a couple of quick questions:
  1. You can still call and book a Category 1-5 and 120,000 mile package? It looks like this is a yes? As a plat who should I call for this?
  2. Is there any risk of booking two of these and NOT applying to a reservation yet? Conversely, I'm still not clear on the upside?
I'm considering booking two of these certs if there is an upside as I'll be taking a 3 week trip to Europe next spring and will want 5 day stays as opposed to 7. Sorry if some of these have been answered explicitly already.
1. Call the number on the TP page, or one of the various worldwide recommended numbers for Marriott Rewards (those can be found buried in this thread or online).
2. Given today's announcement, there is little risk to buying a TP and not attaching the certificate if you don't know where/when you are planning to use it.

The only downside risk I am taking seriously is certificates being converted to "new Cat 1-4 certificates plus 30K points/Cat above old Cat 5"; the downside being you couldn't book some higher end property that you would want given the new price structure. This isn't much of a downside: you're getting a refund of points which provides flexibility in exchange for maybe missing out on your preferred hotel. There is also the possibility that Marriott will try to map old categories to new categories and "downgrade" certificates in the middle (e.g. certs currently worth 40K/nt being worth 35K/nt in the new program), but I now very much doubt that will happen. Locking certs for a month and then devaluing them would go over badly, even though the lock is coming after the programs combine anyway.

So what's the upside? Well, now the remaining upside options are: old category = new category (a great win for probably everyone below Ritz 1-5 holders), or mapping old certs to new cats and "upgrading" certs in the middle (so those 40K/nt certs would be worth 50k/nt). Not sure which would be more likely.

Last edited by SightseeMC; Aug 10, 2018 at 5:03 pm
Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
So how would that work? Points based value or category mapping value or what? No argument we will be able to use them, we just don’t how.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by SightseeMC
The only downside risk I am taking seriously is certificates being converted to "new Cat 1-4 certificates plus 30K points/Cat above old Cat 5".
I've always thought this was the most equitable approach, actually. Be interesting to see if they take it.
cruisr likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:01 pm

Received notification today that travel package is not attached--was attached in May

I just received an email from Marriott that I have hotel portion of a travel package
which has not been attached. They said that they will not be
redeeming packages between Aug 18 and Sept 18, so be certain
to act before August 18.

I attached that certificate in May for a late August stay. A CSR yesterday said that it was
attached when I had another question.

Has anyone else received this mysterious email?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cruisr
So how would that work? Points based value or category mapping value or what? No argument we will be able to use them, we just don’t how.
I'm assuming that it will be points-based, but that is pure assumption. Marriott has referred to other certs as being worth a stay at a hotel up to X points/nt. when they could easily say "category X". My opinion is that Marriott will move to points from categories sooner rather than later.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: American/United/Emirates Marriott-Platinum Elite
Just got it about an hour ago, I am not ready to commit to a reservation with my work schedule so I am looking at option # 2. Any ideas what Marriott is up to?

FLL
We recently announced that our new loyalty program is going live on August 18, 2018 and are working hard to ensure a smooth transition for you while we bring together Marriott Rewards® and Starwood Preferred Guest®.

We noticed that you have a Travel Package certificate that you have not yet attached to a hotel reservation. Below are your options:
If you know when you want to travel, make a new reservation or attach your certificate to an existing one prior to August 18, 2018. If you are still trying to plan that perfect trip, you can hold onto the certificate and will be able to add it to a reservation starting on September 18, 2018 under the new Travel Packages program*.
Please note that whichever option you choose, from August 18 through September 18, you will not be able to modify your certificate for an existing reservation or attach it to a new one. Please plan accordingly.View Account
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by SightseeMC
I'm assuming that it will be points-based, but that is pure assumption. Marriott has referred to other certs as being worth a stay at a hotel up to X points/nt. when they could easily say "category X". My opinion is that Marriott will move to points from categories sooner rather than later.
I think it'd make a lot more sense to have them converting to travel packages similar to the ones they will already be selling rather than having a completely separate type of package just for the legacy certs. The new ones are pricing out within category bands and factoring in peak pricing so I'd expect these to fall within those lines otherwise they become difficult to use.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:21 pm

I am on hold with Marriott CSR.
She said others have called today who had
the certificate attached. Weird.

I am concerned for other travelers because of the statement precluding
attachment between Aug 18 and Sept 18. All those people
planning to book as soon as points drop on Aug 19 may
want to know about this!
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select
Glad Marriott finally sent out some official information on the TPs. I did a Cat 1-5 redemption, but most of my travel are on Cat 7 plus hotels. Should I upgrade to a 6 and hope it maps to the new 5 (vs 4) or just upgrade to 7 now and it should map to new 5? I don't want to tie down more points to higher category since I have no plans for them right now. Thoughts?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by lasnowgirl
Glad Marriott finally sent out some official information on the TPs. I did a Cat 1-5 redemption, but most of my travel are on Cat 7 plus hotels. Should I upgrade to a 6 and hope it maps to the new 5 (vs 4) or just upgrade to 7 now and it should map to new 5? I don't want to tie down more points to higher category since I have no plans for them right now. Thoughts?
I don't know if it is just bad luck, but the rep I was speaking to told me her supervisor stated that their system is not allowing changes to partial packages at this time. I had the codes for the different travel packages, like P870 for a Category 6 hotel package, which I provided to her. She suggested I call back in a month to change my existing packages to different categories. I am simply passing on what I was told and I plan to try again before 8/18.

I called again and the rep I spoke with told me that they had been instructed not to make category changes, but she spoke with someone who was able to make the adjustments I wanted anyway.

Last edited by rny321; Aug 11, 2018 at 7:23 am Reason: Updated Information
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select
Oh man...so they are locking everything before the 18th already? I was hoping to still have the option to upgrade my travel package until the 18th! This puts a damper on things! Thanks for the information...
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by rny321
I don't know if it is just bad luck, but the rep I was speaking to told me her supervisor stated that their system is not allowing changes to partial packages at this time. I had the codes for the different travel packages, like P870 for a Category 6 hotel package, which I provided to her. She suggested I call back in a month to change my existing packages to different categories. I am simply passing on what I was told and I plan to try again before 8/18.
Had you previously attached this cert, extended it, or upgraded/downgraded it?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by lasnowgirl
Oh man...so they are locking everything before the 18th already? I was hoping to still have the option to upgrade my travel package until the 18th! This puts a damper on things! Thanks for the information...
Don't let my experience discourage you from trying to make adjustments to your certificates. Even without the current changes taking place, it wouldn't be the first (or the second time), that different members got different answers to the same question.

I called again and the rep I spoke with told me that they had been instructed not to make category changes, but she spoke with someone who was able to make the adjustments I wanted anyway.

Last edited by rny321; Aug 11, 2018 at 7:24 am
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Had you previously attached this cert, extended it, or upgraded/downgraded it?
One was unmodified and one had a prior category change.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I also received the e-mail but attached my certificates months ago. My reservation still says e-certificates attached. I guess I’ll have to call in and confirm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.