Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum; Marriott Titanium Elite; Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Why? Ok, you come back and have to wait three weeks for a booking at some point in time in the next year. That doesn't seem particularly problematic. The only real issue would be people who were intending on using them at a Starwood property betwen Aug 18 and September 18 or at a Marriott property that is dropping in price during those dates.
The lack of communications on this topic - but as I think about it, those with TPs are probably a fairly small number of overall Marriott customers. Those who redeemed a certificate in the last 4 months are probably an even smaller subset, so perhaps it will not be a "PR disaster" unless you count 100+ pages on a FT threat covering this topic in the last month as being bad PR. I do look forward to the next 100+ pages in the coming week though!
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by Counsellor
Well, if you represented yourself as being an MVC owner in order to get the 5N, the reason you felt like a thief would be because you were one. Deceit = fraud, and in a case such as this obtaining the certificate through false pretenses is considered theft even though you may have paid the points, because you were not entitled to make the transaction. If you are caught, not only would you lose the certificate but the associate you deceived may be in trouble and may lose his/her job because of it.
I did NOT misrepresent myself as an MVC owner. I merely told the agent I thought they also offered 5-night certificates and if I can get one.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Duplicate deleted

Last edited by michelin; Aug 10, 2018 at 3:02 pm Reason: duplicate
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by dan9124
This may be lost in everyone's theorizing, but is anyone else not seeing the option to attach a 7 night certificate on the Marriott award booking page at the moment? I've searched two different cities and not seeing the option to apply my certificate.
I believe you cannot attach a TP certificate to a reservation on line. You have to call the TP number (or maybe a customer service number would work) because they have to attach the certificate at their end.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by controller1
Hopefully, you'll consider the following as "truth"
Getting closer! I am still waiting to see Marriott reach out to those of us with outstanding certificates directly either vial email, text, smoke signals or Pony Express! I redeemed my Reward points for a negotiable instrument that will have a restriction (albeit temporary) in my ability to redeem it and the value is still an unknown. Until Marriott communicates with me directly (and no, I do not consider them posting to Insider to have adequately informed me of the pending changes) they are just feeding into this endless cycle of speculation. And you know what, at the end of the day everything in that link is probably 100% "truth" but should I be expected to find that link on my own? Shouldn't Marriott be pushing that out? And even if they did push it out today - come on, does any reasonable person think 1 week is sufficient notice?
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:23 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

From Marriott's side, it is all business as usual. I think Marriott will be happy to work one year to clean up all the legacy TPs and get all hotel brands in order. The hard currency hotels have is the rooms. I do not think Marriott will worry too much about the TPs.

This is much better situation than when Chase giving out 100,000 UR points with the CSR. And the applicants were not capped.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by COMike78
Getting closer! I am still waiting to see Marriott reach out to those of us with outstanding certificates directly either vial email, text, smoke signals or Pony Express! I redeemed my Reward points for a negotiable instrument that will have a restriction (albeit temporary) in my ability to redeem it and the value is still an unknown. Until Marriott communicates with me directly (and no, I do not consider them posting to Insider to have adequately informed me of the pending changes) they are just feeding into this endless cycle of speculation. And you know what, at the end of the day everything in that link is probably 100% "truth" but should I be expected to find that link on my own? Shouldn't Marriott be pushing that out? And even if they did push it out today - come on, does any reasonable person think 1 week is sufficient notice?
I don't recall Marriott sending emails to every member detailing the nuances of the new program, along with follow up emails as new pieces of information were made available. Despite that, it would sound quite silly to insist that Marriott has not adequately informed members of changes to the program because the details were posted on one of their websites rather than a direct communication. Members of a rewards program have a degree of responsibility in keeping informed about changes to said program.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
I did NOT misrepresent myself as an MVC owner. I merely told the agent I thought they also offered 5-night certificates and if I can get one.
Yet you knew, from being rejected in your "many failed attempts in the past," that this offer was valid only for MVC owners. It's a little hard to argue "innocent mistake" under such circumstances.
cruisr likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:29 pm

While I am busy selecting seasonings for my crow, I am left to ponder:

1) Why do they continue to feed statements not through official mediums (transition faq website, travel package webpage, email, etc). And who are these people to followup with questions with?
2) This is the most definitive "statement" yet, but again from the unofficial channels, conflicting with previous statements (points refund, attach to maximize, etc)
3) Blackout period can create some headaches for those with reservations during that period that encounter short term planning changes / travel issues that would otherwise require small and simple adjustments.

What a clownshow.
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:34 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by zozeppelin
While I am busy selecting seasonings for my crow, I am left to ponder:

1) Why do they continue to feed statements not through official mediums (transition faq website, travel package webpage, email, etc). And who are these people to followup with questions with?
2) This is the most definitive "statement" yet, but again from the unofficial channels, conflicting with previous statements (points refund, attach to maximize, etc)
3) Blackout period can create some headaches for those with reservations during that period that encounter short term planning changes / travel issues that would otherwise require small and simple adjustments.

What a clownshow.
Quit Marriott Brand all together.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
I don't recall Marriott sending emails to every member detailing the nuances of the new program, along with follow up emails as new pieces of information were made available. Despite that, it would sound quite silly to insist that Marriott has not adequately informed members of changes to the program because the details were posted on one of their websites rather than a direct communication. Members of a rewards program have a degree of responsibility in keeping informed about changes to said program.
I received two emails on April 16th from Marriott and SPG saying that "Rest assured, over the coming weeks we'll continue to help you understand what these changes mean for you so you can take full advantage of your new opportunities." A link was then provided to the Marriott website (not Insider website which is separate and distinct from the "official" website. I don't see anything on the TP page either - https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

So, while I have indeed rested quite assuredly, I still have been waiting by my email box expecting to be helped in understanding what these changes mean for me and also diligently checking the official Marriott website (including the page dedicated to travel packages) without any luck! I feel that I have been responsible. If not an email, then can I at least see something on Marriott home page or at least on the TP page, or is that too much to ask?
Counsellor likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:51 pm

So, if someone has a TP expiring between 8/18 - 9/18...it's gonna be fun.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I guess Marriott doesn't know that I'm on FT - just got an email from them:

We noticed that you have a Travel Package certificate that you have not yet attached to a hotel reservation. Below are your options:• If you know when you want to travel, make a new reservation or attach your certificate to an existing one prior to August 18, 2018.• If you are still trying to plan that perfect trip, you can hold onto the certificate and will be able to add it to a reservation starting on September 18, 2018 under the new Travel Packages program*.
Please note that whichever option you choose, from August 18 through September 18, you will not be able to modify your certificate for an existing reservation or attach it to a new one. Please plan accordingly.
Nothing new - I guess they think we know what's the new Travel Packages program is.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by nacho
I guess Marriott doesn't know that I'm on FT - just got an email from them:

Nothing new - I guess they think we know what's the new Travel Packages program is.
That's what I am talking about! A targeted official email campaign to everyone with an outstanding cert informing them of options. Was that so hard, Marriott? I am ignoring the lack of details on the new program for the time being!
Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:26 pm

"will be able to add it to a reservation starting on September 18, 2018 under the new Travel Packages program"

Old certs will convert to new certs, then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.