Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by zerodegre
What are your guys thoughts on being able to book SPG branded properties with legacy certs after the 18th??
I absolutely think it will happen. How generous it will be for people is certainly up for debate. I also have some concern about the future cat 8 properties and availability though. But that won't affect most of us.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mitchwebb
I decided not to downgrade my Cat 9 and attached it to a hotel yesterday. Took over 30 minutes for the agent to attach and I noticed today the reservation is for one person. Do you think this will
cause a problem down the road? Not sure I want to have anyone mess with the reservation. It is for a hotel in London and there will be two in the room.
Is there bedding for two? Usually a no-brainer, but in Europe I suppose it's possible that hotels could have a 1-twin single room.

Assuming it's a Standard room, 1 vs 2 shouldn't be a problem, even though 2 vs 3 often is. You could always phone the hotel if there is any question about it.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by mitchwebb
I decided not to downgrade my Cat 9 and attached it to a hotel yesterday. Took over 30 minutes for the agent to attach and I noticed today the reservation is for one person. Do you think this will
cause a problem down the road? Not sure I want to have anyone mess with the reservation. It is for a hotel in London and there will be two in the room.
​​​​​​​I would just take the few minutes to update it. Doesn't hurt, and could prevent headaches later. Where the cert is already attached, the regular reservations center may be able to just adjust the number of guests.

You could also just call the Malaysian MR center via Skype. I think its less than 2 cents/min (calling the Sydney number), and I've never waited more than 2 minutes on hold. They're awesome over there; every problem, solved almost instantly.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Two questions about expiration dates:

(1) If TP is purchased on, say, August 10, 2018, would expiration date be August 10, 2019 or a stricter August 9?

(2) When TP is upgraded/downgraded, does it change the expiration date?

Thabk you in advance!
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Rusdude
Two questions about expiration dates:

(1) If TP is purchased on, say, August 10, 2018, would expiration date be August 10, 2019 or a stricter August 9?

(2) When TP is upgraded/downgraded, does it change the expiration date?

Thabk you in advance!
(1) Aug 10, 2019
(2) Yes.
Rusdude likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:44 pm

Has anyone had any luck booking 5-night packages recently?

Last edited by yuayua; Aug 9, 2018 at 11:07 pm
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by yuayua
Are you a MVC Owner? If so, call Owner Services. No problem. Otherwise, ymmv.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:13 am

Booked a Category 6 (w/ 120k Alaska Miles) Travel Package with Marriott's Australian number a few hours ago. Unattached. I have another unattached Cat 1-5 package I downgraded from a Cat 8. Best case scenario for me is a generous points refund after the 18th (flexibility to air miles, which I have less of than hotel nights from cards etc.), though a generous category re-alignment (old C6 -> new C5) would be fine as well for a theoretical Japan stay next year.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:18 am

i redeemed for two 5-night packages, both Cat 1-5, two days ago. I had trouble getting through to someone who could do TPs at the regular MR telephone number, so tried Vacations by Marriott at 866-814-6901, and after a few minutes hold I was able to do it in about 5 minutes. I proactively said I was an MVC owner but was not asked for any info about it, I don’t know if they can see that or if they did or will check after the call. The certs hit my account immediately, I have not attached them to stays yet and the miles have not hit my airline account yet. YMMV. Good luck.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Data point:
called regular US line (800-321-7396) today and was able to get everything done in 12 minutes (that included voice menus and hold time). Certificate appeared in my account immediately.

Got Category 8 certificate for now and transferred miles to Virgin Atlantic (120K is exact number needed for a roundtrip from my city to Japan on ANA in F).
IDM79 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kar120c
i redeemed for two 5-night packages, both Cat 1-5, two days ago. I had trouble getting through to someone who could do TPs at the regular MR telephone number, so tried Vacations by Marriott at 866-814-6901, and after a few minutes hold I was able to do it in about 5 minutes. I proactively said I was an MVC owner but was not asked for any info about it, I don’t know if they can see that or if they did or will check after the call. The certs hit my account immediately, I have not attached them to stays yet and the miles have not hit my airline account yet. YMMV. Good luck.

They WILL check after the fact. Marriott apparently is doing POST redemption AUDIT on 5 nights packages redeemed to verify eligibility. Whether they only check it randomly or on every one such redemption is anybody's guess. But They DO check and lock accounts once audit shows not eligible, pending further investigation.

If you are not eligible, your account will be audited even after you have been able to book one.
Just 3 days ago on a non-English site I read a fresh DP of account is locked under audit due to the account owner booked a 5 days package though not eligible to do so.
换小礼包帐户被audit
http://www.mitbbs.com/article_t/Money/32995527.html

Many pages before in this thread someone also reported his account being audited and one of the 5 night cert was cancelled, additional points taken from his account to switch it to a 7 nights cert. Poster went all the way to Exec Office only to be told the Truth - you are not eligible for 5 nights package hence that is what we do. Seems Marriott is actually quite lenient without impose more penalty.
There are some data points posted in Reddit several weeks ago about their 5 night certs were revoked and accounts audited.

Proceed at your own risk. Just remember even if you succeeded to redeem the 5 nights package, the coast is not clear. Pray you will be lucky and your account not being audited later on.
cruisr and nli007 like this.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 10, 2018 at 10:43 am
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:36 am

Just redeemed a 7N Category 8 with 120K Alaska miles for 360K MR. Had to wait on the phone for ~20 mines. Rep was able to book in < 2 minutes.
So far the plan is a 7night in Maui, may need to upgrade at a later day - looking at either the Wailea Beach Resort (cat 8), or the Ritz Kapulua (T4 - stayed there before). The ocean club looks to be for timeshares only?

Called 1-866-814-6901
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
The Maui timeshares are eligible for a points/certificate redemption but availability is almost nonexistent for a 5 or seven night stay. Do a flexible search on the Marriott site and you will see what I mean.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:05 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Originally Posted by Infinitenoms
Packages are still up, just booked one
Thanks, I called 1-800-321-7396 and booked one in 5 minutes (after being on hold for 20 minutes)

Last edited by smilee; Aug 10, 2018 at 12:06 pm Reason: phone number
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by kar120c

Booking a 5N simply by requesting and being approved by Marriott reps is one thing (that's on them). Lying about qualifying to get the package really seems to be something else altogether (that's on you).
cruisr, osotoc and nli007 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.