Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:28 am

Packages are still up, just booked one
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by smilee
So are the Travel Packages dead?

I transferred SPG points to my wife July 23rd, and they didn't post until August 1st. So now I have enough to book a 270K Cat 1-5 travel package but don't think I can now at that rate.
I'd give them a call ASAP. The old packages are still posted on the website and the "Marriott Systems Under Maintenance" banner is gone from the website...so you may have good luck! Its all about just timing it right, when their systems are not down.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
What are your guys thoughts on being able to book SPG branded properties with legacy certs after the 18th??
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by FlightBOS
I'd give them a call ASAP. The old packages are still posted on the website and the "Marriott Systems Under Maintenance" banner is gone from the website...so you may have good luck! Its all about just timing it right, when their systems are not down.
I know that they are doing some sort of upgrade and they said they will back in service sometimes before the 17th. I ordered a TP yesterday for Mr. after moving my points from Marriott to SPG and to his SPG. The move took more than a week and fortunately I called 2 times (the first time the agent thought I called too early which apparently not the case according to the second agent). The second agent was able to pass on my case up so that they can get the points moved.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United-Platinum, American-Platinum, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by nacho
I know that they are doing some sort of upgrade and they said they will back in service sometimes before the 17th. I ordered a TP yesterday for Mr. after moving my points from Marriott to SPG and to his SPG. The move took more than a week and fortunately I called 2 times (the first time the agent thought I called too early which apparently not the case according to the second agent). The second agent was able to pass on my case up so that they can get the points moved.
I just initiated an SPG to SPG transfer to my spouse last night. I see some folks are saying it's taking way more than the 5 business days quoted on the site. Are you saying you called to help expedite the points transfer from SPG to SPG or SPG to Marriott? I know I'm getting super close to the deadline but my spouse's SPG account only hit 30 days yesterday. 5 business days puts me at August 15th. Hoping SPG to Marriott will be instant
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
SPG to Marriott happens immediately no waiting... As soon as you press... it processes
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by zerodegre
What are your guys thoughts on being able to book SPG branded properties with legacy certs after the 18th??
Nobody knows for certain. Unless we have David Flueck on FT, what anyone says here will be pure speculation.
cruisr likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by ahbitheman
I just initiated an SPG to SPG transfer to my spouse last night. I see some folks are saying it's taking way more than the 5 business days quoted on the site. Are you saying you called to help expedite the points transfer from SPG to SPG or SPG to Marriott? I know I'm getting super close to the deadline but my spouse's SPG account only hit 30 days yesterday. 5 business days puts me at August 15th. Hoping SPG to Marriott will be instant
From what I have heard SPG to SPG takes ca. 5 business days, so count up and call if the points don't show up after 5 business days - one agent said sometimes it only takes 3 business days. I transferred mine on July 31 and I called Aug. 6 to check because there's no movement at all. The agent said it's not 5 business day and told me to call on Aug. 8. I called Aug. 7 because it's really should have been 5 business days and I'm glad that I did because there's some problem with the transfer - somehow it didn't get through as usual. We have our SPG accounts for more than a year so the 30 days thing wasn't an issue.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Shangri-la Gold, Taj Gold, Krisflyer Gold, BA Gold
From what I have heard SPG to SPG takes ca. 5 business days, so count up and call if the points don't show up after 5 business days - one agent said sometimes it only takes 3 business days. I transferred mine on July 31 and I called Aug. 6 to check because there's no movement at all. The agent said it's not 5 business day and told me to call on Aug. 8. I called Aug. 7 because it's really should have been 5 business days and I'm glad that I did because there's some problem with the transfer - somehow it didn't get through as usual. We have our SPG accounts for more than a year so the 30 days thing wasn't an issue.
I tweeted to SPG with my spg number. Got an email within an hour. I was then asked to send ID proof. The points posted within two hours. Hope this helps
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by RafKa
Nobody knows for certain. Unless we have David Flueck on FT, what anyone says here will be pure speculation.
True.

And yet we have 100 pages of posts since June 18, 2018.
cruisr and SightseeMC like this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i transferred on july 31 or aug 1 and points arrived yesterday
Tp still work as of this morning..
Now to decide if keep them as cat 5 or upg to 7..
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Shangri-la Gold, Taj Gold, Krisflyer Gold, BA Gold
Does anyone have experience in upgrading a TP? I have an unattached cat 6 and want to upgrade it to a cat 8. The exec on the call told me I need to find a cat 8 hotel first and then make a Reservation?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Mine took 9 days recently.
Exactly 5 business days for us on a SPG internal transfer initiated last Wed. I was planning to call if the pts not showed up on 6th business day, they showed in the receiving account the morning of 6th business day.
Though ours have no urgency just try to consolidate all the pts into the member in the household that maintains status. The non-elite member has no reason to keep any meaningful balance. So now there is only 7 SPG and 787 Marriott pts left in that account.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by jiteshjerome
Does anyone have experience in upgrading a TP? I have an unattached cat 6 and want to upgrade it to a cat 8. The exec on the call told me I need to find a cat 8 hotel first and then make a Reservation?
HUCA until you find another agent who is familiar with the process.

I have read numerous threads in terms of misleading customers. Service is extremely inconsistent across the whole team.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador , Marriott platinum, United, Delta
I decided not to downgrade my Cat 9 and attached it to a hotel yesterday. Took over 30 minutes for the agent to attach and I noticed today the reservation is for one person. Do you think this will
cause a problem down the road? Not sure I want to have anyone mess with the reservation. It is for a hotel in London and there will be two in the room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.