Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by RedSun
The answer is NO. Per MR's policy, you can transfer up to 50K total per year into your account. It can be 30k from spouse and 20k from brother.... It is free for Gold and above only.

That's not accurate. There is a one time per year allowance for transfers of more than 50K so long as it's being used for a reward.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrey

yes
Thank you.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:57 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by dsquared37
That's not accurate. There is a one time per year allowance for transfers of more than 50K so long as it's being used for a reward.
Wish you all the good luck...
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wish you all the good luck...
No luck necessary. Though you do sound like a handful of agents who don't know the T&Cs and decide to make up things on your own.

And you might want to have a read here. You might just be enlightened.

Immediately prior to Reward Redemption and only once per calendar year, a Member may authorize the transfer of the necessary number of Points into the Rewards Program account of a friend or family member, in order to qualify for a specific Reward. This transfer may exceed the 50,000 Point maximum per calendar year.
Good luck with that.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by theplayer
I have 340k points. I Want to buy a TP for a European stay, will fly using Avios. Should I buy the cheapest 270k package(cat 1-5), or buy the 330k package(cat 6). I do not know where we will be vacationing at this point or the probable cat #.
Will upgrading from cat 1-5 after Aug 18 cost me more points than now. I assume the hotel will most likely be higher than cat 1-5.
Based on your situation, if it were me, I'd buy the cat 6 package with 132K United miles. United has the best European options. Lots of flights out of Boston on Lufthansa for instance. Not sure what will happen to the cat 6 but I think it's a good bet. I own one myself.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:16 pm

I've been absent from the miles game for awhile, just coming back into things now.
10 days to go, yikes!

I have 160k SPG points and 300k UR.

Original plan was to do a SPG -> TP southwest to get another CP, but I missed the boat on that.
Then I was planning to just do a normal redemption for a 4 night, 5th free at the ritz maui for 240k. But now that doesn't seem to be all that efficient.

With my 480k marriot, should I just cash out for a Tier1-3 for 420,000 and 120k alaska miles (fly SAN/BOS often).
Or people seem to be talking about cat 9 being the sweet spot?

Reading more, it seems as if many are being speculative with how marriot will refund the TPs and advising buying as many TPs as possible?
With the ultimate hope that marriot will refund 1:1 and then basically pocket the airline miles for free? Would be amazing

Or should I be considering buying extra marriot points with my UR?

Many thanks
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by bryan995
I've been absent from the miles game for awhile, just coming back into things now.
10 days to go, yikes!

Original plan was to do a SPG -> TP southwest to get another CP, but I missed the boat on that.
Then I was planning to just do a normal redemption for a 4 night, 5th free at the ritz maui for 240k. But now that doesn't seem to be all that efficient.

With my 480k marriot, should I just cash out for a Tier1-3 for 420,000 and 120k alaska miles (fly SAN/BOS often).

Reading more, it seems as if many are being speculative with how marriot will refund the TPs and advising buying as many TPs as possible?
With the ultimate hope that marriot will refund 1:1 and then basically pocket the airline miles for free? Would be amazing

Many thanks
You're in a tough spot if you're considering two packages. I would've suggested you buy 20K SPG points had this been pre-July 20 with the big discount they had. Chase UR points are a solid bet for $.02 each, meaning buying the 60,000 UR and turning those into MR with those doesn't seem like great value. I guess it really depends on how much you value those AS miles for flights along with the second cat 1-5 hotel stay. I probably wouldn't risk it in hopes of some big payout and instead would roll with the Tier 1-3 option. It seems like that has the potential to provide better value and may be worth the risk. But hey, that's just me.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by bryan995
10 days to go, yikes!

Many thanks
I know AS miles are worth more (if you use them on CX or another longhaul), but if you're considering going to Hawaii, you may want to redeem for BA Avios in your TP. You can fly for 25k RT west coast to Hawaii on Alaska, booking through BA. If you are based out of SAN, AS flies a number of directs to Hawaii.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Finally spg points transferred so called tonight to redeem - nope - system update everything down... tried call centers in three different countries - this is worldwide.. hope the thing is still available tomorrow..
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:23 am

I did this 4 times last year to purchase travel packages, so there isn't even a one time limit. But as you said, chances are the agents aren't aware
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joeags
I did this 4 times last year to purchase travel packages, so there isn't even a one time limit. But as you said, chances are the agents aren't aware
The wording suggests the limitation is once per account outbound rather than into.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
While technically an option supposedly SPG-->SPG transfers are taking a considerably longer time than they did in the past.
Mine took 9 days recently.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 6:40 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Seem booking TPs is pretty much dead. System is converting.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
The wording suggests the limitation is once per account outbound rather than into.
That was my experience.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:12 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Seem booking TPs is pretty much dead. System is converting.
So are the Travel Packages dead?

I transferred SPG points to my wife July 23rd, and they didn't post until August 1st. So now I have enough to book a 270K Cat 1-5 travel package but don't think I can now at that rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.