Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select Packages - Deals from the Topic drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl

Still waiting for my UA miles which were ordered July 29. Normally, it takes 3 days!
Not that it makes it any better for either of us but...I am waiting for points to post to UA from the 29th as well.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:40 am
kkl

Highly doubt current CAT8 cert will map to CAT8 in new program

Means Tier1-5 charts will be hugely devalued.

IMO

Current, 1-5 -> 1-4
6-7 -> 5
8-9 -> 6
T1-T3 -> 7
T4-T5->8
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:50 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kkl
You could be right. This could be one of the reasons the Starwood Lurkers recommended applying your awards to a reservation before the change if possible.

But as more than a few have mentioned, we are all guessing at this point. So you have to ask yourself one question, do I feel lucky...?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
I purchased 2 packages on July 28, one for AS and one for UA. Agent told me 2 weeks for AS miles to post and 3 days for UA. I still haven't received my UA miles, but surprisingly the AS miles are in my account. Not sure when they posted as I haven't been checking and they are back dated to July 28.

I called Marriott to ask about the UA miles. They said as far as they can tell, they were transferred to UA and I needed to follow up with them. I called the 1K desk and the agent told me they had some issues with transfers on July 28/29 but the person who is in charge of looking into that is away, so she asked me to wait until the weekend. If the points haven't posted by Monday, I am to call back.

I think my biggest fear with these certs is that Marriot will convert them into equivalent certs at the new level, and we won't have the opportunity to cash them out anymore. I find it difficult enough to use 1 cert. Now I have 4!
jrey and NJKen like this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:59 am
kkl

Originally Posted by hhoope01
You could be right. This could be one of the reasons the Starwood Lurkers recommended applying your awards to a reservation before the change if possible.

But as more than a few have mentioned, we are all guessing at this point. So you have to ask yourself one question, do I feel lucky...?

​​​​​​​Im currently sitting on 4 cat 1-5 floaters. with 7night RC tokyo and 7 night STR maldives reservations. have not attached the certs. like many still on the sidelines on what to do
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I think my biggest fear with these certs is that Marriot will convert them into equivalent certs at the new level, and we won't have the opportunity to cash them out anymore. I find it difficult enough to use 1 cert. Now I have 4!
Same here and it's kept me from booking one final TP.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by RedSun
Floating TPs are the risky thing. They will be just converted to the new equivalent TPs with the closed new category. If the TP is old Cat-7, you'll get new Cat-5, both at 35,000 points.
That would be fine with me.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kkl
Im currently sitting on 4 cat 1-5 floaters. with 7night RC tokyo and 7 night STR maldives reservations. have not attached the certs. like many still on the sidelines on what to do
wow... are you expecting to use one cat. 1-5 cert on a stay at StR Maldives?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:39 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by M.dA.R.

wow... are you expecting to use one cat. 1-5 cert on a stay at StR Maldives?
I read that, he has the Cat-5 TPs and existing reservations on the Maldives. It would be wild dream to use the Cat-5 TP on SPG Maldives stay.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:42 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Originally Posted by kkl

The way I see it, a direct porting of categories makes everybody below the Tier 4-5 Holders very happy as they can now redeem at more and better properties.

For Tier 4-5 holders, it is much the same.

The Certificate can still be used at any Marriott property they want PLUS they can now be redeemed at any top tier StR too.
I don't think this would be seen as a devaluation.

There is of course a scarcity question, with so many people then having access to rooms at top tier properties. However that falls more into the realm of a stealth devaluation and has far less of a headline risk, than the category numbers on certificates being marked down.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I purchased 2 packages on July 28, one for AS and one for UA. Agent told me 2 weeks for AS miles to post and 3 days for UA. I still haven't received my UA miles, but surprisingly the AS miles are in my account. Not sure when they posted as I haven't been checking and they are back dated to July 28.

I called Marriott to ask about the UA miles. They said as far as they can tell, they were transferred to UA and I needed to follow up with them. I called the 1K desk and the agent told me they had some issues with transfers on July 28/29 but the person who is in charge of looking into that is away, so she asked me to wait until the weekend. If the points haven't posted by Monday, I am to call back.

AS miles post the next week's Wed if your redemption is made before the cut off time by Friday the week before. Hence it depends on when one redeems - if one redeems on Sat. he would wait till the Wed the following week to see his miles, probably the longest possible wait.
UA should not take more than a few hours or even an overnight, in the normal time. There are known issues on the July 28/29 that you got caught in. At least they are aware and may manually post those that are currently hung up in the system.
We have enough to redeem 5 TPs but we only redeemed 2 and keep the certs as floaters as of now. On the new charts I see enough properties we would / could use in upcoming year, that their pt level actually go down. So we keep our pts for hotel stay as already have enough miles to accommodate us thru 2020 or beyond when here in US there are still avenues to collect miles at reasonable rates (but not for hotel points) No reason to pile any more miles.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:56 am

Just a heads up, mine just now posted to United, might want to log in to your UA account.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by NJKen

Just a heads up, mine just now posted to United, might want to log in to your UA account.
Youre right. Wasnt there when I called a few hours ago. Must have been my phone call that got them hopping.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:11 pm

Now we start the official 10-day countdown : 10.
MasterGeek and ankomonkey like this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kkl

???
how's getting what you redeemed for a devaluation?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.