Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
I want to book a stay in Bora Bora but the problem is only SPG has hotels there. So I can either save my remaining points for a stay there (at 60k a night/ 240k for 5 nights!) or try to book a travel package now in the hopes that I can redeem for one of those properties using a "converted cert". I know this is all speculation but any advice?
To be honest, the chance that you'll be able to use a TP certificate on legacy Starwood property in Bora Bora is extremely low. There're layers of risk for this strategy: 1) the unattached (or detached post 8/18) certificate has to exist; 2) the certificate has to be converted to a category that works for the Bora Bora property; 3) "basic" rooms have to be available (or even exist!); 4) you have to compete with legions of bargain hunters to book these rooms using points, if they're available, post 8/18. If I were you, I'd save my points to book these rooms directly on 8/18 without the extra uncertainties associated with TPs.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by SightseeMC
I'm trying to understand this passive-aggressive response. The person you quoted literally says there is a theory (true) that he/she doesn't agree with (clear and respectable response), but that if you find a good place and book now you are fine (also true).

While he may be subjective, he doesn't denigrate the detached-certificate arbitrage theory. He states a reason why it is highly unlikely given Marriott's prior behavior.

I keep seeing people post responses in this thread where they seem to have some amount of self-worth attached to how this plays out, aside from the value of certs themselves. On 8/19 this may be the most "SUCK ON THAT!" thread in the last year on FT, since so many people seem like they're just waiting to lord it over anybody who guesses/bets are "wrong."
Take it at face value, let’s have an objective discussion that can benefit people trying to make decisions.

The poster asked a question and got a condescending response (to the poster and inaccurately generalizing other posters’ guidance) without answering the question (what he should do).

Continuing to reference past prescedent, in the which the current situation will not have an instrument available anymore to revert to, as the rationalization for prediction isn’t accurate nor objective.

I don’t see this turning into an “I told you so”, rather a collective licking of wounds or rejoicing depending how it goes. I’ve been trying to poke some of the extreme opinions to state their prediction in this specific instance, as a means to temper it down for others reading. After seeing how this has been going, I’m going to try and do my part stop participating in the pissing contest.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: A bunch
Originally Posted by NJKen
Has anyone had United or any of the other partners take that long?
i redeemed 330k for a cat7 with 132 united miles. The miles posted the next day! I am leaving unattached and I am expecting to redeem at pretty much any hotel in the system thru year end( that is my gamble).
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by imverge
Sorry, I was referring to CC and FN awards not TP.
But this is TP thread and the post with the question on how to book the stay is related to the TP cert... I hope the poster who asked the question would realize quick enough that he could not use the TP cert online. Similar question was just asked no more than one day before and I answered it that one must call the same number of TP redemption - the regular reservation agents do not have the ability to handle TP cert either.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by dan9124
Just want to post a transfer time data point. Ordered a Cat 1-5 package on Saturday 7/28, with miles being sent to Virgin Atlantic. The miles just showed up in my VS account this afternoon, 8/7. So be patient if yours seems to be taking longer than expected. Transfer times seem to be all over the place.
Mine finally posted today, as well. Took forever--and worrying that other members transferred to VS after us and received their miles prior. Regardless, success!

For those worried about others miles posting prior / faster than their own, its worth noting that someone who redeemed several days after both of us received their VS miles far faster. Seems to depend on the day...
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
But this is TP thread and the post with the question on how to book the stay is related to the TP cert... I hope the poster who asked the question would realize quick enough that he could not use the TP cert online. Similar question was just asked no more than one day before and I answered it that one must call the same number of TP redemption - the regular reservation agents do not have the ability to handle TP cert either.
Happy stop being so grumpy.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by NJKen
Has anyone had United or any of the other partners take that long?
Still waiting for my UA miles which were ordered July 29. Normally, it takes 3 days!
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:21 am

Horace -- many thanks for responding. What you've written makes perfect sense and I'll follow your advice and sit tight for now. Thanks again.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Horace
(a) Traditionally, Marriott has not allowed reservations to be "amended" with entirely different dates. Traditionally, you could cancel your old reservation and make a new one, using the redemption level in effect when you make the new reservation, and based on availability for the new dates.

(b) There are all sorts of theories of what will happen to unattached e-certificates on August 18. Some theories are quite wild, ranging from amazing windfalls to disastrous, forced losses of point value. Marriott has announced that current 1-night e-certificates will remain 1-night e-certificates, but denominated with the point value corresponding to the old category. Marriott has not announced what will happen to current 7-night e-certificates. I expect these to remain 7-night e-certificates, but denominated with the point value corresponding to the old category — with functionality to add or refund points when attaching them to a 7-night reservation. This seems logical to me, but one person on the thread thinks I will "eat crow" when Marriott publishes the details.
Horace -- many thanks for responding. What you've written makes perfect sense and I'll follow your advice and sit tight for now. Thanks again.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by SightseeMC
AFAIK there is no "in the system" advantage for attaching a cert to a reservation and then taking it off. You either have a cert or don't, in Marriott IT's view.

That said, one question I have is when you bought your cert? Would you have to extend it to book if nothing changed between now and Nov 2018?

Since I am a betting man (everyone currently in this thread is), I would assume that there is no devaluation of a Tier 4-5 cert possible that would keep me from being able to book any hotel in the system that had availability on those dates. Since hotel availability is not reliant on anything I could do, no choice I make will affect getting in. So I would just sit pat and book the hotel in November with whatever my cert was converted to post-8/18.
SightseeMC -- many thanks for the reply. I bought my cert one week ago (Aug 1st).

I think, from what you and others have said, holding tight and not using my cert may be the best option. I think I'm going to opt for that.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
I want to book a stay in Bora Bora but the problem is only SPG has hotels there. So I can either save my remaining points for a stay there (at 60k a night/ 240k for 5 nights!) or try to book a travel package now in the hopes that I can redeem for one of those properties using a "converted cert". I know this is all speculation but any advice?
Previously, you could book a MR hotel with points and then convert it to a cert later, so that could be an option if you want to stay there regardless. But you’d need to book 7 nights unless you are an MVCI owner. Are there base rooms available now for points?

Previously you could also reserve a MR points stay despite not having all the required points (or just choosing not to have them deducted immediately). Although I’m not sure if SPG does this currently or if it will continue in the new combined program (I would guess it would to the continuing question).
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:26 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
another data point. I finally decided to get involved yesterday. Ordered a 7 night category 8. Hoping to use it at StR Maldives or RC Kyoto. 120k points posted to VS in less than 24h.

My view on what happens next: all unattached certificates get converted to same 'face value category' where one exists in the new program. Certificates above old category 8 still offer better overall value than before since they can all now access far more properties.

In this case everyone is happy and Marriott has the simplest process in terms of explanation and implementation. Anything more complicated or punitive seems unlikely to me.

Then again, I'm well aware that I'm talking my own book...
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:34 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Scoob72
SightseeMC -- many thanks for the reply. I bought my cert one week ago (Aug 1st).

I think, from what you and others have said, holding tight and not using my cert may be the best option. I think I'm going to opt for that.
I do not think this is the case. There are many opportunities. It is your TP. Hold onto it if you like.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
UPDATE: Booked final TP (4 of 4) on 3 Aug, and miles posted today, 8 Aug.
This was my third to Alaska with a Cat 1-5 7-night certificate; in fact, all my TPs have been for the Cat 1-5 7-night certificate.

With the Alaska miles, I have attached one of the certs and have left the remaining two unattached.

I also booked a TP for Virgin Atlantic miles, with the cert also remaining unattached.

I look forward to seeing what happens with the three unattached certs, but I'm pretty happy with the miles even if the worst case scenario happens (and quite frankly I'm tired of speculating).
I will, funny enough, be in the middle of a Marriott India Quay London stay during the transition. I'm eager to see how everything works when I check-in and check-out.

Happy Travels!
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:34 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Jermyn
another data point. I finally decided to get involved yesterday. Ordered a 7 night category 8. Hoping to use it at StR Maldives or RC Kyoto. 120k points posted to VS in less than 24h.

My view on what happens next: all unattached certificates get converted to same 'face value category' where one exists in the new program. Certificates above old category 8 still offer better overall value than before since they can all now access far more properties.
Old Cat-8 won't do much damage.

Floating TPs are the risky thing. They will be just converted to the new equivalent TPs with the closed new category. If the TP is old Cat-7, you'll get new Cat-5, both at 35,000 points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.