Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
I've got a bunch of 7-night and 5-night floater certificates positionned and ready to bite
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by GoPhils
Congrats to you for getting that, but of course just because they settled doesn't necessarily mean they wouldn't have won in court.
If they knew the T&C were going to hold up they would have seen it play out in court to set precedent. TRUST & BELIEVE.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
Am I able to attach the 7nt cert myself when booking online or do I have to call a rep to attach it?
When you make a new reservation it will give you the option of attaching the certificate.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 11:31 am

I redeemed on 7/31 for a 120k AA miles TP with Cat 7 unattached. Miles posted today. Is there any more recent thought on whether we should keep certs unattached or attached? I honestly don't know where I would use it yet.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by upsidedown
I redeemed on 7/31 for a 120k AA miles TP with Cat 7 unattached. Miles posted today. Is there any more recent thought on whether we should keep certs unattached or attached? I honestly don't know where I would use it yet.
There are some folks on this forum who have advocated immediately attaching your e-certificate to a reservation for a hotel whose points-per-night rate is going up August 18, even though you have no intention of staying there. This theory says that when you cancel, you'll somehow be better off than if you had simply left the e-certificate in your account.

I don't agree with this theory.

Marriott has a long, consistent history of returning e-certificates for canceled reservations to member accounts as though they had never been attached in the first place. They don't go up or down in value, even when a hotel's redemption point level changed.

On the other hand, if you can come up with a vacation destination in the next few days where you wound actually want to use the e-certificate, by all means reserve the hotel now, attach the e-certificate, and you're good to go under the current redemption chart.
pinniped, jeepie and SightseeMC like this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:37 pm

Just want to post a transfer time data point. Ordered a Cat 1-5 package on Saturday 7/28, with miles being sent to Virgin Atlantic. The miles just showed up in my VS account this afternoon, 8/7. So be patient if yours seems to be taking longer than expected. Transfer times seem to be all over the place.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by dan9124
Just want to post a transfer time data point. Ordered a Cat 1-5 package on Saturday 7/28, with miles being sent to Virgin Atlantic. The miles just showed up in my VS account this afternoon, 8/7. So be patient if yours seems to be taking longer than expected. Transfer times seem to be all over the place.
Has anyone had United or any of the other partners take that long?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Horace
There are some folks on this forum who have advocated immediately attaching your e-certificate to a reservation for a hotel whose points-per-night rate is going up August 18, even though you have no intention of staying there. This theory says that when you cancel, you'll somehow be better off than if you had simply left the e-certificate in your account.

Marriott has a long, consistent history of returning e-certificates for canceled reservations to member accounts as though they had never been attached in the first place. They don't go up or down in value, even when a hotel's redemption point level changed.

On the other hand, if you can come up with a vacation destination in the next few days where you wound actually want to use the e-certificate, by all means reserve the hotel now, attach the e-certificate, and you're good to go under the current redemption chart.
Alternatively,

Some folks are *speculatively* attaching certificates to hotels, *some of which plan on staying at*, with the theory the cert will be returned to the new category at the time of change. These folks are well aware how Marriott, and any other frequent flier program, has handled refunds after an award price change, by refunding the original amount. These folks also realize this will not be physically possible, as the old category instrument will not exist, such that they will have a niche case that Marriott *may* treat as a cert that was attached after Aug18, thus *upgrading* their cert. The basis for this artbitrage is that Marriott errors in the side of simple IT/CS solution for a small population in the midst of a major merger with a deadline. Some may also read tea levels of no communicating anything officially in advance, others may find no tea leaves at all.

There is a possibility Marriott does a point equivalent cert conversion, such that the detached cert could be treated the same, thus not providing any incremental value over leaving it floating in the first place.

There is also a possibility Marriott handles floaters differently than detachers, such that they may well indeed be better off than attaching than floating. Lurker has echo’ed vague comments from MR to this end, but that is left up to the user to interpret.

There is also a possibility that Marriott force refunds floaters and/or detachers at the surrender rate. Most reasonable people would agree that won’t happen. Marriott is not going to crucify someone for having a change in travel plans well in advance of the stated cancelation policy, which is only an issue because Marriott changes the category architecture. So the downside risk is presumed to be small.

In the end, some people are making educated bets, where they deduce the risk, reward, and probabilities thereof. To each their own. Other people don’t understand and/or agree, and for whatever reason like to be vocal about it in an inaccurate or non-objective manner.

Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:53 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Horace

Originally Posted by zozeppelin

In the end, some people are making educated bets, where they deduce the risk, reward, and probabilities thereof. To each their own. Other people don’t understand and/or agree, and for whatever reason like to be vocal about it in an inaccurate or non-objective manner.

We all speculate.

If you attach the TP to a hotel, you can always change the dates.

If you attached an old Cat-5 TP to a new Cat-5 hotel, if you cancel the reservation, very likely you can re-book a new Cat-5 hotel. It does not make sense that MR would want to downgrade you since the old Cat-5 is only worth new Cat-4 now. You get the certificate back, not the points.

MR is running two systems now. They can only use the old system to book and change the TP. After the new system is fully up and running, the old system will be gone. They won't even know or care how you get the TP.

Last edited by RedSun; Aug 7, 2018 at 3:14 pm
Old Aug 7, 2018, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by imverge
When you make a new reservation it will give you the option of attaching the certificate.
Since when the Marriott website allows you to use a 7 days TP cert online without having to call?

The Megabonus earned cert or the CC FN cert yes. The TP cert always needs to call to attach, as recently as 2 nights ago when I tried a 7 days booking the site just told me not enough pts, despite I have 2x 7 nights certs unused.

I dont believe your information is correct unless somehow Marriott managed to update its site in the midst of all confusions leading to Aug 18th.
RedSun likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by zozeppelin

I'm trying to understand this passive-aggressive response. The person you quoted literally says there is a theory (true) that he/she doesn't agree with (clear and respectable response), but that if you find a good place and book now you are fine (also true).

While he may be subjective, he doesn't denigrate the detached-certificate arbitrage theory. He states a reason why it is highly unlikely given Marriott's prior behavior.

I keep seeing people post responses in this thread where they seem to have some amount of self-worth attached to how this plays out, aside from the value of certs themselves. On 8/19 this may be the most "SUCK ON THAT!" thread in the last year on FT, since so many people seem like they're just waiting to lord it over anybody who guesses/bets are "wrong."
Happy likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SightseeMC
I'm trying to understand this passive-aggressive response. The person you quoted literally says there is a theory (true) that he/she doesn't agree with (clear and respectable response), but that if you find a good place and book now you are fine (also true).

While he may be subjective, he doesn't denigrate the detached-certificate arbitrage theory. He states a reason why it is highly unlikely given Marriott's prior behavior.

I keep seeing people post responses in this thread where they seem to have some amount of self-worth attached to how this plays out, aside from the value of certs themselves. On 8/19 this may be the most "SUCK ON THAT!" thread in the last year on FT, since so many people seem like they're just waiting to lord it over anybody who guesses/bets are "wrong."
This!
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
I want to book a stay in Bora Bora but the problem is only SPG has hotels there. So I can either save my remaining points for a stay there (at 60k a night/ 240k for 5 nights!) or try to book a travel package now in the hopes that I can redeem for one of those properties using a "converted cert". I know this is all speculation but any advice?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by SightseeMC

Is conjecture based upon hopeful outcomes without any supporting evidence really viable theory?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Since when the Marriott website allows you to use a 7 days TP cert online without having to call?

The Megabonus earned cert or the CC FN cert yes. The TP cert always needs to call to attach, as recently as 2 nights ago when I tried a 7 days booking the site just told me not enough pts, despite I have 2x 7 nights certs unused.

I dont believe your information is correct unless somehow Marriott managed to update its site in the midst of all confusions leading to Aug 18th.
Sorry, I was referring to CC and FN awards not TP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.