Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by ahbitheman
What do people here think the odds are that a legacy Category 9 TP will be redeemable at a new "Category 7" hotel (turning Category 8 in 2019)?
Mapping from current certificates to new category is highly unlikely because it would be even more costly to Marriott than simply refunding points for full 6 nights. Starwood Lurker has also stated that conversion would be based on points, not categories. But anything is possible, I suppose.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by jeepie
United update: I bought some TPs on 7/24. Miles haven’t posted. Usually it’s reliably 3 Business days. Called Marriott Rewards. After a 90 minute call, including wait time of 32 minutes, the rep did some digging and Tech Support told her there are some current issues where United is not posting properly. They are working on it. I got a Case Number so I can follow as necessary when I return from a trip.
P.S. I also bought some TPs with Alaska on 7/24. Since they quote a one to two week standard transfer time, we didn’t pursue the status of AS miles.
Hope this is helpful. Cheers.
I too had a cat 5 United TP ordered on 7/24. Wasn't posted until this morning, Reaching a representative took a long time this morning; they mentioned that they did have some trouble with united postings that day and someone will manually adjust this.

a few hours later, I do see the 132k UA miles in my account.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 4:32 pm

Reminder second to last day to redeem for travel packages! Travel packages are worthwhile for airline points even without the hotel stay. If I had a united credit card it'd give me 1 point per dollar. With SPG i spend $90k=270k marriott points = 132k united + 7 nights cat 1-5. Even without the hotel it's 1.47 united points per dollar which is way better than the united credit card! Needless to say I redeemed for a lot of travel packages today! Maybe I'll get something for the cert or not but points to miles alone it's unbeatable value.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by xrayflyer
Reminder second to last day to redeem for travel packages!
Not true...you have until mid-August
Old Jul 30, 2018, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by xrayflyer
Reminder second to last day to redeem for travel packages!
7/31, 8/3 or 8/17? Confused. I have 270k in my account and am waiting for another 30k from CC in a week. Should I do it now?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by senyah
I too had a cat 5 United TP ordered on 7/24. Wasn't posted until this morning, Reaching a representative took a long time this morning; they mentioned that they did have some trouble with united postings that day and someone will manually adjust this.

a few hours later, I do see the 132k UA miles in my account.
Thanks senyah. Based on your experience, I just checked my United account again and...Yes! 264,000 shiny new points arrived. Might just have to buy a couple more...Cheers.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by shutter41
Where's the best place to learn about the rules about sharing points between accounts when booking a package? I'd like to use a family member's points but have the airline miles go to my account. At this point it's too late to transfer the points using SPG (we don't live at the same address). Is it possible to do the sharing when booking the package, even if we're at separate addresses?
I do not know about where you can read about this, but when I purchased a travel package today, the agent mentioned to me that the accounts that are taking longer for the mileage transfers are the ones where the Marriott account is in X's name and the airline account is in X's wife's/daughter's/husband's, etc. name. So I guess this can be done.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by sinfonia
I do not know about where you can read about this, but when I purchased a travel package today, the agent mentioned to me that the accounts that are taking longer for the mileage transfers are the ones where the Marriott account is in X's name and the airline account is in X's wife's/daughter's/husband's, etc. name. So I guess this can be done.
Not true - been waiting since Monday transferring to my own UA account, everything matches.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by AbelianGrape
Let's cut to the chase. I think a 7-night Cat 1-5 gets cancelled and replaced with 150k points. What do you think will happen? We'll see in a few weeks who's right.
SPG has been selling points which convert to MR points at a rate of about 3/4 cent per point. Since the differential in cost between various options is relatively modest, I believe MPG will choose to be generous. Although I believe it is more likely that holders will receive restricted certificates in some form worth 150K towards a future stay, it's possible that the company will just issue 150K in points and be done with it. However MPG chooses to handle hotel awards, I am comfortable that existing holders will at a minimum receive a replacement certificate worth the same number of points as the one being replaced.

I have always used all 5 or 7 nights depending on the package, so the value to me of a restricted voucher vs. points is close. Although I went all in on travel packages, I would be happy to buy a restricted 150K voucher at a discount once my existing supply is utilized should MPG sell them in the future. If it was permitted by the combined company, I would be willing to buy 150K restricted certificates at a significant premium to the 45K that some believe they are worth.

Last edited by rny321; Aug 4, 2018 at 8:23 am Reason: Revised outlook.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by AbelianGrape
Let's cut to the chase. I think a 7-night Cat 1-5 gets cancelled and replaced with 150k points. What do you think will happen? We'll see in a few weeks who's right.
My prediction--all certs are converted to a new 7 day Cat 1-4 certificate with holders of certs above current 1-5 getting the points back in their account (which would allow them to buy up categories on the new cert if they desire).
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:01 pm

Here is some new(maybe)info for us to obsess over for a bit. The David that is quoted is of course David Flueck. From this website https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/0...-reward-chart/

What will happen to existing Marriott Travel Packages which are not yet redeemed?I did not get the answer that you may have wanted. Travel Packages are well down the list of priorities at the moment. Marriott will NOT be telling people before 18th August what will happen to their existing unused package.David’s recommendation is to redeem now if you want to be certain of getting a specific hotel, but of course that is no use if you want what is currently a Starwood property.If you are on the fence about getting a Travel Package, I can’t help you decide. You won’t know before 18th August if you will get a better deal or not by waiting. After 18th August, redemptions of existing Travel Package hotel certificates will be suspended.

David specifically said to me that Marriott is considering voiding all outstanding Travel Packages after 18th August and refunding the hotel part.This may not happen. It is possible that they find a way of mapping existing packages across to the new categories. However, be aware that – after 18th August – you will not be able to book a hotel using an existing Travel Package certificate until they have made up their mind. You are at the mercy of Marriott as to whether they decide to reimburse your points (less the value of the airline miles you’ve already had) or find a way of letting you book a comparable hotel to the old category system.

Last edited by AtlLhr; Jul 30, 2018 at 7:15 pm
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nonsense. Marriott issued certs with specific expiration valid at specific categories - trying to refuse to honor them will open a legal can of worms unless the refund is sufficient to cover those stays..
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Are we allowed to book the hotel certificates in someone else's name/marriott #?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by frudd38
Are we allowed to book the hotel certificates in someone else's name/marriott #?
Kind of. You make the reservation and add their name to it. This is for TP certs. The Megabonus certs and Chase certs are nontransferrable.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Kind of. You make the reservation and add their name to it. This is for TP certs. The Megabonus certs and Chase certs are nontransferrable.
Would they get my elite benefits then? MY wife is going to HK and I'm going to use a TP cert on it (assuming it isn't canceled). Be nice to at least get the nights from that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.