Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tth6133
Read it more carefully. There's no contraction at all. Lurker's statement was approved by Flueck's team.
Perhaps you’re the one who needs to read it more carefully
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:12 am

1 week exactly today since requesting UA miles. Will call again but not sure what other info I will get.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by littlevoices
A more 'doomsday' scenario, from the people on this forum's perspective, where your travel packages are redeemed (but you get a 1:1 conversion from Marriott points to Avios which is very beneficial from a FFP perspective):
https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/0...age-arbitrage/

This repeats the points made here from someone who has discussed it directly with Marriott, as much as it may not be a good result for many here.
'doomsday'? "may not be a good result"? Are you kidding? This is great! He's all but telling you that the floaters will be converted back to points, and frankly only an idiot would think that means 45k points for a 7-night Cat 1-5. There's so much nonsense being spouted here, it's getting to be ridiculous.

Originally Posted by rny321
Although occasionally intelligent people get frustrated with immature and foolish comments and make offensive comments...
Guilty!

Last edited by AbelianGrape; Jul 30, 2018 at 10:29 am
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Gold
Where's the best place to learn about the rules about sharing points between accounts when booking a package? I'd like to use a family member's points but have the airline miles go to my account. At this point it's too late to transfer the points using SPG (we don't live at the same address). Is it possible to do the sharing when booking the package, even if we're at separate addresses?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by M.dA.R.

Perhaps you’re the one who needs to read it more carefully
I'll read it again if you show me the quote.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by AbelianGrape
'doomsday'? "may not be a good result"? Are you kidding? This is great! He's all but telling you that the floaters will be converted back to points, and frankly only an idiot would think that means 45k points for a 7-night Cat 1-5.
That's my read as well; it's basically, "Yes, we'd like to make them certificates with the breakage and inefficient redemptions that implies but we've got much bigger fish to fry and we may just end up refunding everyone's points and calling it done."
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
That's my read as well; it's basically, "Yes, we'd like to make them certificates with the breakage and inefficient redemptions that implies but we've got much bigger fish to fry and we may just end up refunding everyone's points and calling it done."
Exactly. But I'm sure Flying for Fun will have some other interpretation.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
It is rumored that AS miles post on Wednesday.
FWIW, Mine posted to AS on a Monday.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jul 30, 2018 at 11:57 am
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AbelianGrape
Exactly. But I'm sure Flying for Fun will have some other interpretation.
Certainly do! You need to differentiate between value and worth

One other thing! Has anybody considered that there may not be provisions for "floating" certificates in the new program? If Marriott choses to be generous and refund 150K unrestricted MR for a "floater" certificate then to be equitable, Marriott would also need to give 105K unrestricted MR to all attached certificates so they have the same worth.

My Cat 1-8 is WORTH 135K MR, the VALUE of my 7N stay is $2100 USD.

James

Last edited by bdschobel; Jul 30, 2018 at 1:29 pm Reason: Come on; please be nicer than that!
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:39 pm

It is rumored that AS miles post on Wednesday.
All my three TPs showed up on Wednesday mid-day. The activity dates are somewhere between ordering date and posting date.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:54 pm

United update: I bought some TPs on 7/24. Miles haven’t posted. Usually it’s reliably 3 Business days. Called Marriott Rewards. After a 90 minute call, including wait time of 32 minutes, the rep did some digging and Tech Support told her there are some current issues where United is not posting properly. They are working on it. I got a Case Number so I can follow as necessary when I return from a trip.
P.S. I also bought some TPs with Alaska on 7/24. Since they quote a one to two week standard transfer time, we didn’t pursue the status of AS miles.
Hope this is helpful. Cheers.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by ANGIE2018
Hi,can anybody tell me how long does it take to post AS miles after purchasing the packages?
I purchased 7 nights Cat 7+ 120K AS miles on July 23,7 nights certificates posted in 2 days,but never got the AS miles yet.Is that normal?
I just did a package and sent the miles to Alaska, I asked for expediting and they called the partner coordinator, who added me to the batch, I was told that the miles batch was being uploaded in a few minutes and that I had really good timing and that I should see the miles in less than 48 hours. My guess, is that they send the miles to AS on Monday's and that you just missed the last batch and was included in this one. This is just my guess... so hopefully you see your miles soon.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Certainly do!
Let's cut to the chase. I think a 7-night Cat 1-5 gets cancelled and replaced with 150k points. What do you think will happen? We'll see in a few weeks who's right.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, United-Platinum, American-Platinum, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
What do people here think the odds are that a legacy Category 9 TP will be redeemable at a new "Category 7" hotel (turning Category 8 in 2019)?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by ahbitheman
What do people here think the odds are that a legacy Category 9 TP will be redeemable at a new "Category 7" hotel (turning Category 8 in 2019)?
I think any legacy certificates for category 8, 9 and above will be redeemable at a new category 7. No legacy certificates will be redeemable for category 8.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.